Digital mag may raise the viking

News and information will be posted here.
1234dist
Club Member

Digital mag may raise the viking

#1 Post by 1234dist » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:30 am

This kind of got swallowed by the pol post post so i thought i'd give it its own post.

When the committee decided that the magazine may be reduced down to a news letter i wasn't as confident it would get attention. I recently did a job for a client that wanted a capability for a digital magazine to email out to its customers mainly for advertising.

Now i'm not guaranteeing that this will be a long term solution as the biggest thing that sinks the magazine is lack of user import to inspire the magazine editor and they then decide whats the point.

So short comment is:
If you like what you see let us know below.
If you have a story, let us know.
If you have a problem opening the magazine, let us know.

in conclusion it only works with input.

Here is the pol special used to teach me how to use the software and the May version of how i would like i to continue is already completed and once its confirmed (john currently has a copy of the master) we'll get that sent out to the members.

Here is the pol special: http://jil.st/XHRW9X

:welcome
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Smithy
Club President

Re: Digital mag may raise the viking

#2 Post by Smithy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:24 am

It is nice to see someone putting something together. If you need any of the previous templates for the Viking then let me know.

The only issue I can see with this website is you don't own the digital rights and if you want to print it out then it is a staggering approximately £12 per issue.

Unless you are uploading your own publisher files just for the free edition? Also how do you restrict access to subscribers only?

There are other alternatives out that can be used to host on our own webhosting. The example is here: http://www.rover200.org.uk/files/club/t ... umn07.html.

It was always my intention to use the above format with a restricted access members part to the website for subscribers to access it. When I wrote the website the Joomla content management system did not yet have the user access levels to accommodate this - now it has.

In the website overhaul - A suitable suggestion might be to port to VBulletin - use the subscribers part of that software as an alternative to the now defunct membership shop. Thus it will automatically update members to blue. Alongside it run JFusion - Joomla which will allow access to the VBulletin user list thus creating members only areas on the Joomla website to accommodate magazine access.

Hopefully you have not lost me!
Rover 220 GTi Turbo.
Maestro Police Car.

Follow us on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rover-200 ... 9239975702

1234dist
Club Member

#3 Post by 1234dist » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:46 pm

New site has capability of having this software built in.

My sites are from scratch not templates so i can write what ever access rights i require.
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Smithy
Club President

#4 Post by Smithy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am

It takes people years between Joomla releases with several developers running alongside. It is probably the most popular content management system running commercially. Likewise with JFusion it has taken several years of development to integrate the way it does without modifying core code structure.

I remember a comment elsewhere about you writing a forum from scratch, but phpBB has a massive team of coders to write it.

Perhaps I am offending but I just don't understand what takes a multiple team of highly skilled coders years to develop - you can knock up in 5mins?
Rover 220 GTi Turbo.
Maestro Police Car.

Follow us on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rover-200 ... 9239975702