It LIVES!! was: 'Ultimate' gasket and bolts

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

961tat
Club Member

Re: 'Ultimate' gasket and bolts

#16 Post by 961tat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:27 pm

i have done MLS gasket on wet liner/closed deck one 1400 cc last year using eBay item number:200533973765 with no problems 5000 miles on :clapping :clapping :clapping the main issue is that all the liners are level (check with a good straight edge not ruler ) if not then your wasting your time :headbanging :headbanging . MLS gasket will fit on any k series but the liners have to be level .
Good luck with your gasket :D :D

i also ported and skimed my head as the instuctions on dva power website at the same time , as an experiment for power increase ( before i port my vvc 1. 8 ) its works realy well ( took weeks die grinding and polishing ) but worth the effort and good gains all round .
As anyone on here done a VVC solid cam conversion ? :S :S and if so what ignition system did they use ?

heraldcoupe
Club Member

#17 Post by heraldcoupe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 pm

crepello wrote:Now there's a clue! I'm pretty sure the shouldered liners identify your block as a wet liner/closed deck one. This should be robust enough to reward your persistence.
It is indeed one of the earlier wet liner types - I've mentioned this in other threads, but realise I'd not touched on it in this one. The previous owner had an MLS gasket fitted, the fire rings on that one sit neatly around the shoulders, whereas the latest type is a little smaller across the bores.

I've ordered a Payen gasket which I am now hoping will actually fit the shouldered liners, now that I know there is a difference...

All a learning process,

Cheers,
Bill.

ROVER-25X

#18 Post by ROVER-25X » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm

1234dist wrote:try not to look at the mems 3 engines as its a bit more work to make them work

Oi ! :blink
The 25X (2001 ROVER 25 1.4 Impression S, fate TBD)
The CX8 (1997 ROVER Cabriolet 1.6 K-Series, Resto Project)
The 25XD (2004 ROVER 25 2.0TD, Track Car ?)
The Parts Bin (2001 ROVER 25 1.6 S)
The ASTRA-DX (2012 VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7CDTi, Daily Eco Driver)

crepello
Club Member

#19 Post by crepello » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:08 am

heraldcoupe wrote:The previous owner had an MLS gasket fitted, the fire rings on that one sit neatly around the shoulders, whereas the latest type is a little smaller across the bores.

I've ordered a Payen gasket which I am now hoping will actually fit the shouldered liners, now that I know there is a difference...
In the absence of much existing data on MLS on wet liner engines, I'd be interested to know what the make of the previous gasket was, and whether your Payen fits the shoulders when it arrives.

Apart from anything, I'm sure we'd like to applaud!

heraldcoupe
Club Member

#20 Post by heraldcoupe » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:47 am

crepello wrote:In the absence of much existing data on MLS on wet liner engines, I'd be interested to know what the make of the previous gasket was, and whether your Payen fits the shoulders when it arrives.

Apart from anything, I'm sure we'd like to applaud!
It's been a bit more of an endurance test than I'd hoped. I'll keep everyone updated.
My concern now is to ensure that no framents of the latest gasket have found their way into the oilways. I've been careful, but you can imagine that I wasn't expecting to find slivers of metal when I initially lifted the gasket,

Cheers,
Bill.

961tat
Club Member

#21 Post by 961tat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:01 pm

magnet on a stick is just the thing you need :D

heraldcoupe
Club Member

Re: It LIVES!! was: 'Ultimate' gasket and bolts

#22 Post by heraldcoupe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:06 pm

After lots of toing and froing between this and other jobs, I finally got it running this afternoon. A bit of faffing about with the immobiliser code which wouldn't work on the first fewe attmepts with the key. Once that was done, it burst into life pretty much immediately.

After a few minutes running and gentle driving around the yard, the temperature gauge climbed rapidly, so I switched off. I'm pretty certian this was nothing more than an airlock, it seemed to clear on restarting after a short while cooling down.

I'll give it a longer test on the yard one evening this week, then hopefully in for an MOT.

Cheer,
Bill.

crepello
Club Member

#23 Post by crepello » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:52 pm

Well done! I'll bear this tale in mind next time I hit a sticky patch.

What part number was your Payen gasket?

heraldcoupe
Club Member

#24 Post by heraldcoupe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:11 pm

crepello wrote:Well done! I'll bear this tale in mind next time I hit a sticky patch.

What part number was your Payen gasket?
It was ordered as a Payen BW750 from DMGRS. I've seen the same number used in other places with no mention of Payen, making me cautious of ordering by number alone,

Cheers,
Bill.

crepello
Club Member

#25 Post by crepello » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 am

That's got me confused. BW750 is the number for the elastomer type. Did you give up on the MLS route?

heraldcoupe
Club Member

#26 Post by heraldcoupe » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:01 pm

crepello wrote:That's got me confused. BW750 is the number for the elastomer type. Did you give up on the MLS route?
Yes, I did mention earlier that the liners all sit around 2-3 thou proud, so the elastomer type was the best option once that was established. The previous gasket replacement by the PO was an MLS type, which had failed.

Cheers,
Bill.

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#27 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:26 am

Ar some point damp liner heights were raised to 4-5 thou. There is another thread running on K Series head issues, though that is primarily aimed at people tuning the 1800 version for Lotus applications. Main thrust of the argument is that the engine is designed to flex hence using stretch bolts. The standard crank web's don't properly counter balance the piston con rod assembly; due to manufacturing/design constraints [the K has a narrow block and crank case] probably because it was designed to maximise internal space within a small car?
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993