Honda engine identification

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Kapri

Honda engine identification

#1 Post by Kapri » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me the engine type /code for the Honda engine
in the Rover 416 AUTO please , 1994 model ? I've had 3 of these now but been told they are a single cam 16v not the more usual twincam 16V.

richard moss
Club Member

Re: Honda engine identification

#2 Post by richard moss » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:00 pm

If it's a DOHC (twin cam), it will say so on the cam cover. The single cam engine is still a 16valve engine, though.

This is our 216 Honda twin cam - the cam cover has "DOHC 16 Valve" written on it.

Just for interest, if it says "TWIN CAM" rather than "DOHC" then it's Rover K series.
Out in the desert with 2 old Jeeps and a Saab 9-3 cabrio
Back home: wife's 1993 216 DOHC Cabriolet, daughter's R100 and my 1969 MGC GT

Kapri

#3 Post by Kapri » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi ,piccie of same type of engine as in mine

I'm told it's a D16Z2?

roverman1

#4 Post by roverman1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Nearly all auto's were single cam apart from some convertibles and the odd gti when fitted with the Honda engine,the engine number should be printed on your registration document, and will be stamped on the front of the engine just below the cam cover on the left hand side as you look at the engine but your's is the single cam Honda unit.

nuff said!

nick-webb

#5 Post by nick-webb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 pm

The D16Z2 was the world Honda ref, also used by JDM I think. Honda / Rover called it D16a6 in the UK & Europe.

Richard's given you guidance where to find the stamp on the engine. You might need to brush off the surface to see the digits clearly. Cleaner task checking the V5...!

Pushes about 105bhp.....if it's fitted with a cat. Earlier models were higher bhp in the hatches....but no real difference in performance. Nippy engine for its' time.

Strangely, the twin cam is more likely to be found in the cabs and 4 door GTi's. The 2 door GTi was often fitted with the D16a7 - the non-cat version of yours.

I'm still curious as to why the twin cam was dropped in to the family cars...!

xadowbg

#6 Post by xadowbg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 am

yep this is somehow curios stuff... but a think that the K series engine is better then the honda stuff....

roverman1

#7 Post by roverman1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:50 pm

xadowbg wrote:yep this is somehow curios stuff... but a think that the K series engine is better then the honda stuff....
Apart from the ongoing headgasket problems and overheating :laughing2

nuff said!

nick-webb

#8 Post by nick-webb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 pm

xadowbg wrote:yep this is somehow curios stuff... but a think that the K series engine is better then the honda stuff....
If you're looking for typically British behaviour....I guess so. It's certainly more economical, cheaper to service and definitely easier to find parts for.

But....if you're want to satisfy the little hooligan in yo.....the Honda will kick y' ass!

:boom

Kapri

#9 Post by Kapri » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks all, cross reffered and bought a Honda D16Z2 head gasket set and changed it all over today .Just been for a trial run and so far so good :D

The old gasket appeared to have rotted away from the water jacket up ...eventually dissolving the gasket material in the fire ring and allowing blow by into the water jacket.

This is our 3rd 416 auto, got to say there is nothing else out there on the market like them. :clapping