alarm question

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

xadowbg

alarm question

#1 Post by xadowbg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:04 am

guys i got a new Spal alarm for my birthday now on the box it says that it has an immobilizer in it. now my cabby has an immobilizer to above the pedals there is that strange little black box ermmm question is... can i bypass the factory one? and use the new one?

the alarm has this features:

Remote Start Function. For those who want to look flash--- i like!!!

Waterproof and shockproof. We can fit these to off-roaders

Remote and Automatic Central Door Locking.

Automatic Rearm. Means your alarm will arm itself if you forget to.

Hopping code / Learning code remotes. Prevents scanning but allows us to supply new remotes to you if you should lose them

Anti hijack function. If someone takes your car you can kill the engine up to 80 metres away. Your wheels are then safe and the thief is *###**!

Hot wire warning / immobilisation. If an object is placed in your ignition or wires cut the alarm will go off and immobilise your car. Other alarms connect purely to the ignition and are very easily bypassed by thieves.

Shock sensor adjustment. Sets the sensitivity right for your wheels.

Warning LED. Tells you and them that your car is alarmed and ready for business.

Door Open Warning. Warn you if you leave the doors open or if they are opened by a thief

Help calling / Panic alarm. Just in case you need it.

Silent / mute alarm. Flashes lights and immobilises only.

Car finding. You will not spend hours searching the car park again

Remote power windows option - (some cars may need a window closure unit). Just to look flash.- my cabbie has it but works only one one window hehe

John W

Re: alarm question

#2 Post by John W » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 am

If I were you I would stick with the factory immobiliser-trying to remove it could end in all kinds of grief.....
Kind Regards

John

1994 216 SE Cabriolet
1993 Rover 827 Coupe
1999 Rover 820 Sterling auto
1964 2000 (P6)
1982 Porsche 924
1980 Ford Fiesta MK 1
1983 Ford Capri 1.6LS

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#3 Post by E_T_V » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Depends what system your car is running. If it has the infra-red remote (14VT) then it is easy to bypass. If it has 5AS then it isn't.

xadowbg

#4 Post by xadowbg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:47 am

how do i know which version i got?. mine in a cabbie 1995 id does not have any sensors inside the car or what so ever it just sounds the horn when someone opens the door when the alarm is engaged.

xadowbg

#5 Post by xadowbg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 am

ps i also heard from roverthech that if you get off the central locking fuse from the engine bay fuse-box the immobilizer will dissingage?

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#6 Post by E_T_V » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:43 pm

1995 will be a 5AS I believe if it has a rover engine (not sure on the honda ones). If you pull the fuse it'll simply stay immobilised if it is a 5AS car, as the 5AS inhibits both crank signal (easy to bypass), but also sends a unique code to the ECU once the engine is started. If the engine doesn't recieve this code within 1 second of starting the ECU shuts down and therefore so does the engine.

Quite sophisticated for its age, and still difficult to defeat to this day.

Some companies will permenantly disable the immobiliser if you send them the ECU. You can also disable the immobiliser using the EKA code in the drivers door, (however whenever you disconnect the battery the immobiliser will reset and you'll have to repeat the proceedure to disarm it again - the same goes for if you use the fob to lock it too).

xadowbg

#7 Post by xadowbg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm

yep second option is what i am using right now well tnx for the heads up guys