Catalytic Coverter

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

cdsw00

Catalytic Coverter

#1 Post by cdsw00 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi,
my Rover 214 SEi 1995 has been giving me problems, stalling when moving off, cutting out at traffic lights and a general loss of revs when changing gear. I have had the Lambna Sensor, the Crank Shaft sensor and the engine coolant temp sensor changed and it made no difference. I have just had the Fuel Filter changed and the Catalytic Converter checked, the cat converter was full of water, the guy emptied the cat converter, now the car is running a hundred times better, do you think that the cat being full of water was the cause of all my problems?

#sholto

insomaniac45

Re: Catalytic Coverter

#2 Post by insomaniac45 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:26 pm

could be, but if it is full of water, you may want to check your water levels, and oil cap for mayonaise. as water may be leaking through the head. meaning head gasket problems. if the checks are fine, then the head may well be fine, but it is worth keeping a close eye on it.

cdsw00

#3 Post by cdsw00 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:00 am

I have checked the Oil Cap and the oil is nice and clean no Mayonaise. I will keep a close eye on it though.

#Sholto

xadowbg

#4 Post by xadowbg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:27 pm

if its a recent buy for you... it might be that previous owners had gasket problems and changed it..... or else in past life car was involved in alot of water.....

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#5 Post by E_T_V » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:11 pm

The only way water can get into the cat is from someone filling the exhaust with water via a flood etc, or a severe coolant leak.

One good drive and the cat should get to several hundred degrees C, so all the water would rapidly boil off.

cdsw00

#6 Post by cdsw00 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for your advice, I have had this problem since the deep snow we had, my Rover didn`t get used for 3-4 weeks as it was up to the Bonnet in snow during that time.
I gave it a good fast, long run up the Motorway and it seems to have helped.

#Sholto