cabby feels weird with roof down

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

paul214

cabby feels weird with roof down

#1 Post by paul214 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 am

Hi i am new to the club, when i drive with the roof down the car feels wobbley (for want of a better word) when i go over bumps etc. Went straight through mot a couple of months ago, so suspension bushes must be ok ?????? :sad

xadowbg

Re: cabby feels weird with roof down

#2 Post by xadowbg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:49 am

is it you're first cabbie car mate? because all cabbie cars tend to flex a bit on rough roads especially rover ones don't worry mate its normal issue.

i heard that bigger wheels and a strut bar can solve the problem a bit but not eliminate it completely. i still have to try it.

paul214

#3 Post by paul214 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks alot, it's strange that when the roof is up it feels ok. Are strut braces available for these?

paul214

#4 Post by paul214 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm

oh yeah it is my first cabbie. I think the cars great overall.

insomaniac45

#5 Post by insomaniac45 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 pm

every cpnvertible car feels wobbly, due to the massive loss of strength from the roof structure, beefing up the suspension, will make the ride harder, but may also make the issue more noticable, strut braces wont help much, as the problem lays in torsional twist of the chassis, the only thing that would eliminate the problem compleatly is a roll cage, but putting one of these in a cabby would look stupid. so unfortunatly it is a generic problem with cabbys, but you dont buy a cabby to drive fast round corners, you buy it to enjoy the drive in the middle of summer, roof down, wind in your hair (if you have any :) *laughs* ).

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#6 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 am

The 200 cabby has about the same torsional stiffness as most other cabbys of the time but there's a big difference in which bits move when the body twists. On the 200 the weakest point is between the dash and the front seats which means that the front seat occupants are very aware of what's moving.

Putting the roof up increases the body's stiffness enough for this to be much less of a problem.

As said by others, there's nowt you can do about it....so just relax and enjoy the summer :cool
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams