oil leak...

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

xadowbg

oil leak...

#1 Post by xadowbg » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 pm

im having an oil leek dropping exactly on the exhaust manifold its coming somewhere from underneath the alternator braket because mine has AC so the alternator is on top.... my question is could it be coming from the bolt of the braket it self that goes into the cylinder head?

the irritating thing is that when the manifold is hot pestilential burning oil aroma gets into the cabin...

can i use some gasket sealer or thread lock stuff to seal the bolt?

Alex Binnie

Re: oil leak...

#2 Post by Alex Binnie » Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 am

I have just fixed a small oil leak from just below the alternator bracket. In my case, the leak was from the joint between the camshaft plate and the head itself. It dripped down the bracket and onto the alternator itself. Since it was right behind the bracket where there is a small gap, I smear some RTV onto a precut length of firm rubber and squeezed it into the gap. It has worked a treat and looks not too bad at all. There is no gasket in this head joint, just sealant which was not doing the job in that precise location.

Worth a try for you, maybe!