Seats...fabric loose,how do i make it good again?

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

marcusdawg
New Member - Welcome them!
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Cabriolet

Seats...fabric loose,how do i make it good again?

#1 Post by marcusdawg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:31 pm

hi guys,assistance needed on my cabby.....had it a couple of weeks now.love it.done loads to it in terms of detailing /service ect.

however the one thing that lets the whole car down is the fabric.the bolsters and seat itself is just fine.no collapsing ect. but the fabric is loose.

do i add adhesive?and if so,how?

any suggestions/advice gratefully received ?

crepello
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Re: Seats...fabric loose,how do i make it good again?

#2 Post by crepello » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm

The seat covers were a multi-ply construction. One of these was a foam layer, of a kind with a self-destruct date, along the same lines as the headlining.

I've often wondered if it's feasible to unstitch the seat covers and rebuild with fresh foam.

marcusdawg

#3 Post by marcusdawg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:49 pm

saggy bottoms!.....would love some ideas how to deal with loose fabrics situation.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

#4 Post by 1234dist » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:55 pm

take to auto upholstery shop, hand over coin, come back later.

:slapme

Sorry, thats just what i'd do.
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
416 K-series Tourer R416NEB
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

#5 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:44 pm

The reason people don't tackle this one too often is because this particular era of Rover car had some seriously comprehensive upholstering that makes removal of the seat covers very difficult. You'll think you've done it when you find the clips round the front edge and the 3 pieces of black edging plastic which hold the cover down over the foam cushion, but with these removed you'll find steel rings that bind steel rods sewn into the covers to similar steel rods embedded in the cushion foam. And don't get me started on the squabs or rear seat cushion...

Crepello is right - they were a multi-layer construction with foam in between the layers, and a nice, shiny material on the inside so the covers at least slid on reasonably well. The foam disintegrates and the covers become a little loose. A proper renewal would, as Crepello states, require the seat covers to be unpicked and fresh foam bonded to the inside between the layers - it's not clear from any cover I've ever seen whether the foam was bonded to the facing material or the shiny liner. Unpicking the layers of each cover is extremely difficult as it's all machine stitched and the decorative stitching that marks out the centre lines on the cushions and squabs is a super-strong double-locking cross stitch that not every sewing machine can replicate.

I've had a recurring thought that a close-fitting cover made of something less perishable than foam, like a soft wool or felt, could be designed to fit over the cushion foam first, then the original seat cover refitted, to add back the plumpness that the original scrim foam layer provided. I'll get round to tackling upholstery at some point, and I'll more than likely document what I did if I manage to find a good solution.

As Dist said, you can take it to an upholsterers and ask them to recover the seats, but it'll be in a non-Rover fabric and they'll want the best part of a grand to do the work. For that sort of money, you can probably get full leather if you want it.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

marcusdawg

#6 Post by marcusdawg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:25 am

May thanks for that comprehensive description. Wow, glad i didn't tackle and gain false hope/start something I couldn't then complete.... Thinking it might be better to wait until I can source a leather set if available then. Once again many thanks.