Interior Trim Code mismatch?

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Julesmat50
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 418 Saloon

Interior Trim Code mismatch?

#1 Post by Julesmat50 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I was looking on the Rimmer Bros information site about the paint/trim codes on R8's. My car is all-over Flame Red (COF) as opposed to a Duotone (RYJ). According to the Rimmers site for cars with a VIN from B001001 on, the 418GSD model should have a Light Granite interior (Colour Code/Trim Code LOY/LNF) but on going out to the car and looking at the trim plate inside the NSF door, it clearly shows just Granite (LOY/LGA) as the fitted interior colour. According to the Rimmer Bros website, this interior trim colour combination should be fitted to the 200 Flame Red/Tempest Grey Duotone models, which doesn't have the GSD spec model listed.
I can see a few reasons for this:-
I'm reading the data incorrectly (always a possibilty! :laughing2 )
Rimmer Bros info is wrong (unlikely, but possible)
Mine is a "Parts Bin" car coming towards the end of the model range with anything left in the parts bin being used to fit it out, without sticking to the "official" colour/trim specs.
Clearly if I was going to order anything for the interior, I would use the code stamped on the car itself, but it seems odd that there appears to be this mismatch.
Does anyone know what the B series of VIN numbers went up to to see how close mine is to the end, or can otherwise shed some light on this?
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Re: Interior Trim Code mismatch?

#2 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I know there were two tempest grey paint codes. An older one and a revised shade. I actually thought it was LOQ and LOG - some of the mud guard parts are listed as LOG I think.

LNF as an interior trim code would be either ash grey (which is quite dark) or flint, which has a greenish brown tint to it whereas granite has a blueish / cold tint to it. Flint and granite sometimes look similar in photographs but side by side there is a huge difference.

Early cars were often flint. Granite seemed to make an appearance in 1993 and possibly ran into '94. But the phase 2 cars were very often ash grey.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

montegoman
Membership Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

#3 Post by montegoman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Flint was replaced by Granite for the 1993 model year about Oct 92. For the 1994 MY (Autumn 93) Granite was replaced by Ash Grey. Ash Grey is almost black and had previously been used in the coupe with the Silverstone trim. The 93MY 418GSD should be in Granite with a Chevron cloth trim unless it had the optional Luxury Pack that added electric rear windows, leather seats and leather bound steering wheel. For the 94 MY (after the launch of the 600) the range was simplified and the 418GSD had leather seats in Ash Grey but the Luxury Pack had been dropped so you didn't appear to get electric rear windows!
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (12 yrs of ownership)

Julesmat50
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 418 Saloon

#4 Post by Julesmat50 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm

montegoman wrote: 418GSD had leather seats in Ash Grey but the Luxury Pack had been dropped so you didn't appear to get electric rear windows!
As mine is a 95M, I have the leather seats but as you say, no rear electric windows. However during the refurb of the rear leather door trim, I did find a paper parts ticket attached to the rear of the door trim panel that stated it was for "Electric Windows". The back of the panel had the cutout for the EW Switch, but was covered over with the interior doorcard trim and an extra hole had been made for the manual winder.
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

montegoman
Membership Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

#5 Post by montegoman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 pm

I guess they were using up "electric" cards that they had in stock. If I remember correctly they were discounting the high spec saloons fairly heavily at the end because demand dropped after the launch of the 600 although of course at that stage, there wasn't a diesel option for the 600 to compete with your GSD.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (12 yrs of ownership)