Wiper Arms Faded

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Wakefield, West Yorks

Wiper Arms Faded

#1 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:06 am

Hi all, my wiper ams should be black but they have faded and gone grey - what have people done to get them black again?

I'm not sure polishing them will make much difference…

Paul
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

User avatar
Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#2 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:44 am

I'm looking to spray mine. I'd guess a satin or eggshell finish is the best one to choose (in between matt and gloss). I reckon they weren't a true black either, so I might be looking for a very, very dark grey.

I reckon you could use an acrylic or 2K rattle can - the question is just how much prep you do. I''ve seen some bits and pieces people have written suggesting they've gone for an acid-etch primer but I honestly don't think you need it.

To my mind, a bigger question on restoring black-painted areas would be the door window surrounds, i.e. the top half of the doors. They have a terrifically smooth finish which I just don't think was acrylic + lacquer originally. I've wondered endlessly about how to renew those areas. What did Rover use?
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

User avatar
GTiJohn
Club Chairman
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#3 Post by GTiJohn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Had a pair powder coated and they came up rather well
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: The National Forest

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#4 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Johnny 216GSi wrote:.

To my mind, a bigger question on restoring black-painted areas would be the door window surrounds, i.e. the top half of the doors. They have a terrifically smooth finish which I just don't think was acrylic + lacquer originally. I've wondered endlessly about how to renew those areas. What did Rover use?
I wonder if modern vinyl 'wrapping' could be used to deal with these areas.

If you look at the quality used on many vans (eg Sky TV engineers) it seems to be as good as paint.

User avatar
Johnny 216GSi
Club Member
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#5 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:41 am

220 GSi turbo wrote:
Johnny 216GSi wrote:.

To my mind, a bigger question on restoring black-painted areas would be the door window surrounds, i.e. the top half of the doors. They have a terrifically smooth finish which I just don't think was acrylic + lacquer originally. I've wondered endlessly about how to renew those areas. What did Rover use?
I wonder if modern vinyl 'wrapping' could be used to deal with these areas.

If you look at the quality used on many vans (eg Sky TV engineers) it seems to be as good as paint.
I had thought along exactly the same lines a little while back. It will be something to investigate or just go ahead and try when I've finished the rest of the bodywork. The results of using wrapping are easily reversible of course, so this is a nice easy low-risk part of the restoration.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

E_T_V
Technical Advisor
Posts: 3009
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:25 pm
Location: Scunthorpe
Contact:

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#6 Post by E_T_V » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Just a rattle can of satin or matt black is all that is needed. I prefer matt, but I think the original finish may have been satin.

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Wakefield, West Yorks

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#7 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:07 pm

Cheers all - a few options to think about there.

The biggest problem right now is the weather :sad .
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

crepello
Club Member
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:47 pm
Location: Herts

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#8 Post by crepello » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Paul_1978_yorks wrote: The biggest problem right now is the weather :sad .
Unbolt them and bring them into the k1tchen :laughing2

dickie524
Club Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#9 Post by dickie524 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Depends on what you have available locally but I've taken to powder-coating recently for sundry items like this, matt, gloss or satin black. I have a very cheap place near me in Derby. Down-side is turnaround time especially if it's your only car and you can't be without the items in question!
Rich

'97 820Si Fastback
'96 416SLi Tourer
'82 Allegro 3 1.3L
'67 VW Type 2 'Dormobile'

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Wakefield, West Yorks

Re: Wiper Arms Faded

#10 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 pm

crepello wrote:
Paul_1978_yorks wrote: The biggest problem right now is the weather :sad .
Unbolt them and bring them into the k1tchen :laughing2
Ha good point!
Dickie524 wrote:Depends on what you have available locally but I've taken to powder-coating recently for sundry items like this, matt, gloss or satin black. I have a very cheap place near me in Derby. Down-side is turnaround time especially if it's your only car and you can't be without the items in question!
Yes you're right, turnaround time will be a big issue. My 216 is my only car and daily driver.
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Post Reply