Coupe Rear Quarter repair panels group buy.

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.
kevinwillis
Club Member

Coupe Rear Quarter repair panels group buy.

#1 Post by kevinwillis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:56 am

Hi all,

With the help of a chance encounter that GTI John had at the NEC last November we are now able to run a group buy on these. To order you will need to come over to RCOC forum and join which is free. that way i will only have one page to keep up to date and you will have a one stop shop to see how the order is progressing. It Looks like the OS Rear quarter will be the first to be made given the interest it has received over the last 5 days and the near side will follow hopefully not to far behind so please indicate your interest there as well. We appear to already be at the bare minimum order number for the OS Rear so this will happen and why not make your couple one off the first/ many that will be saved and repaired properly with paten repair panels

The bellow is a copy of the opening post that I put on this Topic.
It should answer most off your questions as I have not been asked hardly any yet but if you have one please ask.

Rear quarter arch and sill repair panels

Postby kevinwillis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Estimated cost in the region off £150 for a combined arch and sill section per a side. If you only need one half of it, cut it in half and sell the other part or keep it as a spare so should be well bellow £100 for each part section. Can you get it made for less maybe may be not will it be as good NO.I think at last we should have something that works for most people and if you can weld but not fabricate you may even be able to DIY now.

That is the short now for the long answer

We are now in a position to get rear quarter repair panels made up so a OE type repairs can be done to are 200 coupes.
This topic leads on from the original hole rear quarter topic and at that time point it did not seem possible that Express steel panels would be able to start to consider making the repair sections until at least 10 hole panels had been ordered and sold to cover the tooling up costs.
After lengthy disguises at the NEC classic car restoration show with Mike McColgan of express steel Panels of York http://www.steelpanels.co.uk/index.php we are in a position to move forwards on this now. This will also mean that small numbers or possible even single hole rear quarter panels may be able to be made in duo coarse without having to wait for ten people to be able to commit at the same time.
Firstly I would like to thank those member what where able to meet up with me and Mike McComac for this important meeting at the NEC, Conductor Wombel (Nick), Poshredcar (Richard), and last but by no means least GTIJohn (John) for who without his chance encounter we could still be at square one on this.

After being able to find a coupe parked up in the NEC on the Rover sports register stand I arranged for everyone to meet their instead off on the 200/400 stand so we could point at what the well known issues are with are coupe and indeed the car on display seemed to be suffering from one of the disadvantages of completely hand made repair which is that the rubbing strip does not fit quite write.
By showing Mike McColgan on a coupe exactly where the common week spots are he could see how a repair section would fit are needs and budget better. Express steel panels normally just do the hole panel but have before made a Rear section as a one piece (which is cheaper than doing it in two parts and off use to more people).Having done it before the was no reason that it could not be done again.

To make a repair panel a hole panel will still have to be destroyed and because of this normally the hole panel is made and marketed first and a repair panel comes latter of the same mould. So two panels do not have to be destroyed mike is prepared to make the hole panel mould first and those have the ability to press hole panels as well.
After a full panel mould has been made from that they could then make repair sections as needed. To help cover the set up costs at least 10 repair panels off a given side would need to be ordered which I think we should be able to achieve and hopefully more as Mike will be doing a lot off extra work at the offset. If someone downates a hole panel and wants a replacement back he would thou have the ability to do so.

Some bullet point to start with.

1. Minimum order per side is still 10 units but given the set up costs it would be nice to get closer to 20 as a thank you and ultimately far more than is will be needed by people I am shore.

2. Lead time is 7 months at present.

3.I propose that one side should be made at a time unless the is unprecedented demand and unless more people need the near side urgently than the off side and at least one and ideally two people come forward with the panels require to make the repair sections ( which would be replaced with replicated whole panels or alternately at set of OS and RS Rear repair panels/ Cash we should have the Off Side Rear made first as Mike already has one OSR quarter panel and getting someone to part with a OS panel will be a lot easier than getting two NS rear panels. I am shore once people see what is achieved for the Off Side and a replacement panel or two are made for that side surrendering a NS Rear panel might not be quite as painful.

4. A mechanism for collecting payments would need to be set up and unless any one person or group of people wants to volunteer to take on the £1,500.00 to £3,000.00 risk ( being the cost off 10 to 20 repair panels) I would suggest that full payment should be collected before the order is placed as whoever signs the order will be liable. Whether the club bank account could be used for this is something for the Moderators to consider.

I have probable mist loads but this is a starter so here we go

Please add your name to two the lists bellow to indicate that you are wanting to place a order subject to final details and indicate you preferred option.

Once and only once the final detail have been sorted and a sufficient number off people are happy with them will we move to asking you to add your name to a order list and ask for full payment of the estimated cost off the end panels. Once they are made and the exact final cost known the balance will become do within a set time period or any refund will be made.

I would be interested in ordering a Off Side Rear arch and sill repair panel at a estimated cost in the region off £150.00.

1. Kevin Willis x 1 first choice
2. Nick Chiddle x 2 first choice
3. Nick Chiddle - first choice
4. Richard Jessett x1 first choice
5. Nick Lander x 1 second choice
6. Pete Ormerod x 1 first choice
7. Johnny Ringer (JRMVVC) x 1 First Choice
8. Colin Alexander x 1 Only choice
9. Adds
10.Jimm
11.Dave
12.Ravinder
20.H (on the reserve bench)

I would be interested in ordering a Near Side Rear arch and sill repair panel at a estimated cost in the region of £150.00.

1. Kevin Willis x 1 second choice
2. Nick chiddle x 2 second choice
3. Nick Chiddle - Second choice
4. Nick Lander x 1 second choice
5. Pete Ormerod x1 second choice
6. Johnny Ringer (JRMVVC) x 1 Second Choice
7. Adds
8. Jimm
9. Ravinder
15. H (on the reserve bench)

Thank you for reading this and helping to save your own car and every one else's

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: Coupe Rear Quarter repair panels group buy.

#2 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 pm

It's great to see this getting so close now and most of this is down to Kevin :clapping

Just a thought on how to do the money thing, if the company take payment via PayPal someone could set up an account with monies being paid in by the 10 (or 20) participants. Of course all of this relies on trust...

I saw the panels that steelpanels have made for the Avenger on the OC club stand at the Reston show and they looked very good indeed.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#3 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:16 pm

I hope this isn't seen to be a daft question:

Will the repair section be of any use to 3-door owners?

I can give a 'thumbs-up' to Expressed Panels, as they supplied me with a very good reproduction Austin 1300 floorpan a couple of years ago and I have more recently been discussing the possibility of them reproducing some Allegro panels.

crepello
Club Member

#4 Post by crepello » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Any chance of a marked-up photo of a car showing the extent of a whole quarter panel, and a repair panel please?

What would be required, mechanically/technically, to get similar panels made for R8 3-dr saloons? The saloons do not have the same flared bulb section at the base of the side as the coupes, and I sense the waist swage line is softer on the coupe too.

Would it rely on tracking down an old stock Rover panel (ALA38122 / ALA38123) to copy? Should we grab and preserve a pair for this future purpose if they surface on eBay?

kevinwillis
Club Member

#5 Post by kevinwillis » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:47 am

The hole panel is as per rimmer picture. The repair panel is expected to be all off the flat bellow the rubbing strip and the sill up to the edge off the drivers door or maybe a inch short but not round the corner into the door opening as this is not generally needed and would just add extra cost + the arch and a amount off the flat with a little off what hides behind the bumper but not all of it as once again it would add cost and is generally out off site so can be bodges .
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ALA381560

Yes any panels you want remade you need OE originals not pattien part and keep then safe do not be tempted to use them. Ideally two gets are needed so keep your eyes open for them and buy them up before someone chops them up!

kevinwillis
Club Member

#6 Post by kevinwillis » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:03 pm

GTiJohn wrote:It's great to see this getting so close now and most of this is down to Kevin :clapping

Just a thought on how to do the money thing, if the company take payment via PayPal someone could set up an account with monies being paid in by the 10 (or 20) participants. Of course all of this relies on trust...

I saw the panels that steel panels have made for the Avenger on the OC club stand at the Reston show and they looked very good indeed.
RCOC Forums bank account has been offered for this purpose

Six people are ready to transfer funds at the point off ordering now just need four more and then i will be speaking to Mike at express steel panels and moving this on to the next stage.