Back to black (photo heavy...)

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.
Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

Back to black (photo heavy...)

#1 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:40 pm

So, I've been planning to do a little more tidy up in the engine bay, etc. using PoL as my target date to get as much done as I can.

I've moved everything on a bit, so I thought I'd post the results. I realise I'm just playing catch-up to most people's restoration efforts, but this may be of interest to others yet to get this far.

The car probably isn't ready for this level of detailing, but it all needs to be done, so here goes...

Decided to have the following powder coated:

1. Wiper arms
2. Radiator brackets
3. Battery support bracket (underneath battery tray)
4. Battery tray
5. Throttle cable and positive battery lead stay
6. Washer bottle bracket

I've also cleaned up the expansion tank and washer bottle over the last few days.

Powder coat was all done in satin black, apart from the washer bottle bracket where I went for aluminium silver (rather than metallic) to keep the colours and finishes faithful to the original car.

My battery tray before (rubbed down and degreased - rusty, but not too bad considering)

My battery tray after - a little pitting at the lipped end of the tray, but largely clear elsewhere. Very happy with the finish:

My battery support before - actually in better condition than the tray:

My support and stay after. These look brand new - almost no pitting at all:

My radiator brackets before. These weren't in bad condition - some paint bubbling round the back - tops fairly rust free:

My radiator brackets after. These look like brand new parts now. Also cleaned up the rubber bungs to look like new before assembly:

Example of one of the wiper arms after powder coating. These look absolutely like new:

And round the back - finished nicely all over:

Fitted the support bracket, battery tray and throttle stay to the car. Sourced all new zinc plated bolts to spec. but forgot the stay bolt so had to reuse my old grubby one (it's obscured by the positive battery lead in the photo.)

The battery clamp didn't need doing, so I left it, cleaned it up and bought a new bolt. Also cleaned the battery up as it had picked up some grime:

The washer bracket is rivetted to the washer bottle with two 4.8mm dia rivets with 10mm heads, about 10mm long. I did buy some of these to put it back looking "authentic" but I don't mind the occasional deviation. These are M5 by 10mm flanged hex socket head bolts in stainless - The tiny socket hole and flange make them look a little like rivets from the front.

On the back of the bracket - just flanged M5 nuts in stainless with self-locking grip pattern on the inside of the flange:

Powder coated radiator clamp back on (right hand), with new zinc plated bolt:

Powder coated radiator clamp back on (left hand), with new zinc plated bolt:

Old front wiper on the car - slight surface rust and faded badly:

New powder coated front wiper on the car:

Old rear wiper on the car - badly faded along with the plastic nut cover and spindle cover underneath:

New powder coated rear wiper fitted. The nut cover and spindle cover both cleaned up nicely with some Isopropyl alcohol and a lot of rubbing:

Photograph of the engine bay as it is now. I also sourced a replacement PGM-FI sticker and a replacement cambelt cover tension warning label from Honda. Also managed to get hold of the correct DOT 4 yellow warning label for the brake fluid reservoir:

Another engine photo. The manifold heat shield is definitely letting it down now, so this needs to be done. Also need to renew more of the visible bolts to complete the look, and the engine has picked up some grime just in the last 6 months, so it'll need another going over probably.

I'll take comments, or just a "how sad is he" rating on having the washer bottle bracket powder coated in aluminium silver :blink
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

1234dist
Club Member

Re: Back to black (photo heavy...)

#2 Post by 1234dist » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Somebodys been to the powder coaters :*laughing my fat rear end off*

Here's what mine did, £35 all in :)

ARB in Flame red, oh yeah baby :drool
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:01 pm

Yep, my first foray into powder coating. I went for the slightly more expensive option :) but I'm very happy nonetheless.

Image Image

1234dist
Club Member

#4 Post by 1234dist » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:03 pm

for anyone else planning on venturing, what you want is blasted, primer then powder.
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

#5 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 pm

ARB in flame. I'm torn. It would match my car, but technically that's not the original colour. I might spontaneously combust before reaching a decision.

Image Image

1234dist
Club Member

#6 Post by 1234dist » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:18 am

With these on, i'm hardly stock

220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:37 pm

I've seen those, but I'm not sure what I'm buying. There's loads of variants for Hondas. Are they the CRX/Civic ones from period?

Seems like a good idea to cut down on the un-sprung weight. I'm sure John will be along at some point to confirm the theory...

Image Image

crepello
Club Member

#8 Post by crepello » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:25 am

Johnny 216GSi wrote:Seems like a good idea to cut down on the un-sprung weight.
It will shift the natural frequency of the suspension a bit. Wouldn't be desirable to shift it too close to and reinforce another system resonance though. Practically, this just boils down to someone trying it out and doing a review.