Small headed flange bolts sourcing

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

alviseven
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Small headed flange bolts sourcing

#1 Post by alviseven » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Does anyone else know what the flange headed bolts are called that Rover seems to use to mount things like the PWR steering reservoir and numerous other parts in the engine bay. They have for instance a M6 metric standard thread flanged head but not an 10mm spanner head but an 8mm spanner head and are gold passivated finish.
The finish is not an issue but the head size which is smaller than the standard offering either is steel or stainless. I have a reasonable stock of the short ones 10 to 15mm length but the longer ones are impossible to find. The larger head is not always appropriate to use as the socket then gets in the way.
Have tried to get these for a while now and can only get the standard 10mm head for M6 thread.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Re: Small headed flange bolts sourcing

#2 Post by 1234dist » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Have you checked rimmerbros?
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
416 K-series Tourer R416NEB
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

E_T_V
Club Staff
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Hatchback

#3 Post by E_T_V » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:54 pm

If you get stuck you can also substitute allen cap bolts too. I know I've done this in the past.

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

#4 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Rover used a lot of these, they're used on the battery tray, support strut, radiator mounting, in the doors on the window regulator etc; readily available from Rimmers.
Teddy Bear

Rover 216 GTi Flame Red 1992

Rover 414Si British Racing Green 1995

Rover 216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

#5 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:42 am

Honda liked to use odd fixings, maybe because of their motorbike and small car history. Their switchover point from fine to course thread is one dia different to most other OEMs.

I may have some of these left over from stripping stuff in the past. Never one to throw away a good fixing... :laughing2

I can have a look if you don't go down the Rimmers route.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Johnny 216GSi
Club Member

#6 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:43 am

The battery tray fixings are available I think, as are the airbox screws - all M5. They're replacement parts in some cases and the lengths of the bolts may not quite be the same as the originals.

Given this, it might very well be you can just buy the bolts for the battery tray or bracket, etc. and reuse them elsewhere if they're long enough. Sometime Rimmer give the bolt spec, so if it's the correct thread/pitch and head and they're long enough, you can buy bolts for anywhere on the car and reuse them. I've cut bolts before now - the ones in the engine bay rarely rust so it doesn't matter that the end ends up being bare rather than BZP or HDG - just slip a nut on, cut the bolt and undo the nut to clean up the thread.

M5 fine threaded bolts are available and BZP as used is more common than the HDG finish on the M6 stuff. But you probably won't find the right sized head, and certainly not a hex head with Philips/pozi as well. Does it matter though? The bolts rarely come off, so you could choose a different head (pan/button, etc) with an allen key socket or with a pozi/slot.

Failing that, a visit to a scrapyard to pick over anything Rover from the late 80s onwards should work. And you can always just spray the heads of rusty bolts or washers with a direct to rust silver or black paint to make them look nice before refitting.
Last edited by Johnny 216GSi on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

gbs100
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

#7 Post by gbs100 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:23 pm

The best place to get them from is the scrap yard . they are used to hold the window motor+regulator on rover 200/25 . Last time i went i got about 20 just to keep in stock.

alviseven
Club Member

#8 Post by alviseven » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Like the window winder tip - not that with small kids I get free to get to a scrap yard these days very often. However I have been lucky and have found the M10 metric fine bolts for the power steering pump which I must have kept when I removed it years ago - like John I never throw stuff really just move it around! The longer M6 small flange headed bolts for the power steering reservoir I have been supplied with from the nice gent who was breaking the coupe for its gearbox. He has been most helpful. Just now need the pump mounting bolts but these are stock M10 1.25 fine thread so are easier to trace. Forum to the rescue again ,.....
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers