NEC 2014

The place to suggest or organise future social events, meetings and get-togethers.

Moderator: Forum Staff

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Hatchback

Re: NEC 2014

Postby 220 GSi turbo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:28 am

Great cars and great people.......it all came together and worked really well!

I will send a note of thanks to Tanya Field and the Maestro/Montego club for helping to arrange the Russ Swift visit :cool

montegoman
Membership Secretary
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

Postby montegoman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:52 pm

A great weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done to all those involved. We had a great deal of interest in the cars, particularly the sectioned car.

John - Perhaps the P6 club planted a drawing pin under our tyre!! :laughing
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (12 yrs of ownership)

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Coupe

Postby GTiJohn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 pm

montegoman wrote:A great weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done to all those involved. We had a great deal of interest in the cars, particularly the sectioned car.

John - Perhaps the P6 club planted a drawing pin under our tyre!! :laughing

We'll keep it available for future shows but I might see if I can use a slightly larger trailer in future as the tyres squeak down both sides.

I will check for pins though.... :laughing2
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

swanndoggz
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Nasp Hatchback

Postby swanndoggz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:13 am

Great show! All Our cars looked ace :D
Just can't wait till next year!

E_T_V
Club Staff
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Hatchback

Postby E_T_V » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:52 pm

:useless

Come on show us poor people who couldn't attend what it all looked like then!

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

Postby Mr Teddy Bear » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:51 pm

I hope that everybody had a good show, I know that I did! Our stand attracted a lot more interest this year with people who might not otherwise have been interested, fascinated by the 214 GSI cutaway display car.

I spent a happy day talking to a succession of friendly enthusiastic people who wanted to look at and talk about our car's. Two lads had travelled down from Perth by road especially for the show and recounted a tale regarding a low mileage motability 214 fetching over £2k at a recent Perth car auction. This reminded me of a one owner 216 SLI with only 12,000 miles on the clock that has reached £1200 on Ebay only last week! A pristine low mileage, laid up, 3 door 216gtI made well over £2k at a Welsh car auction some two years ago!
So now IS the time to find that Rover that you could never afford when they were new, before everybody realises that prices are rising. Or lavish some TLC on the one that you've already got, it's a valuable asset!

I think all of us manning the stand on the Saturday greatly appreciated the time that Russ Swift spent talking to us regarding his time with Austin Rover, both during the production of those TV advert's and running the Rover Display Team of 200's. Other's also shared their stories either regarding ownership or working on the car's while at a Rover Dealership.
There really wasn't enough time in just the one day to both man the stand and look at the show and I was glad to let the train take the strain for the journey home. :mellow

I need to single out both Paul and John for special thanks for all their hard work negotiating a pitch with the organisers, organising and planning our display and car's. John has virtually single handedly dragged the sectioned display car out of obscurity, cleaned her up and arranged trailer and transport to both Gaydon and the NEC; thank you Sir! To Karl for all that time effort and expense on his Twin Cam getting ready to show and both Duncan and Swanndogz for freely giving of their time and bringing two nice clean car's to display. :clapping

Thanks to 1234Dist for procuring the Rover logo tee shirts, they're nice and good value for money too! and not forgetting everybody else who helped man the stand over the three days, wearing the tee shirt helped project the club image. :cool

I realise that I didn't take any photo's and that everybody else is knackered and had to go back to work, but some photographic evidence would be good and I can then share it with our Facebook page! :D
Teddy Bear

Rover 216 GTi Flame Red 1992

Rover 414Si British Racing Green 1995

Rover 216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson

Postby GTiJohn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:09 pm

I'll post some photos tomorrow and maybe even a video!

It was tiring but great fun and therefore well worth it - a great team effort :clapping

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Postby 1234dist » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:21 pm

220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
tatti :rip

Red Icon
Club Member
Car Ownership: Other Non-Rover

Postby Red Icon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:23 am

Tim, the pitch was down to the JRC contacting the organisers and asking for all Rover clubs to be together. You remember the JRC Tim the ones you don't want anything to do with.
I'm glad all went well and perhaps I can make next years. Well done.

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

Postby Mr Teddy Bear » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:50 pm

As you know Trev' I'm presently discussing with John how best to pay the invoice for the last JRC meeting that you attended on our behalf. I couldn't attend as I'm sure I told you, because I had already booked a weekend away with my friends.

Please don't spoil this thread.
Teddy Bear

Rover 216 GTi Flame Red 1992

Rover 414Si British Racing Green 1995

Rover 216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson

Postby GTiJohn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Here are a couple of photos of our stand on set-up day. You couldn't see it this well on any other day....

And one of my coupe on the RCOC stand :cool

GTiJohn
Club Chairperson

Postby GTiJohn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Tried but failed to add a video file :sad

But I have added to the AR Online facebook page, if you've got access to that.

If you haven't, I recommend it :D

I'd forgotten what was playing on the TV at the time :laughing

Rover GTi
Getting Settled In
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

Postby Rover GTi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 pm

I made the trip to the NEC on the sunday and i just wanted to say how brilliant the stand looked, and hats off to all you guys that organised it and put it together. All the cars looked absolutely superb, and it was great to see the cutaway car is alive and well because id not seen that since it was being used by the mechanics for training purposes when it was at Derby College about 8 years ago.

I also got chatting to a rather nice gent on the stand in a Rover 200 polo shirt but i forgot to get his name, so if you were the guy i was chatting to about my crash damaged 216 GTi and the Jap spec rear numberplate plinth that was fitted to the black Twin Cam on the stand, then i am pleased to have met you mate!

It was great to see the R8 take centre stage and speak to some like minded folk who think the R8 was, and still most definately is, a brilliant car. Hopefully the time will come soon when it gets the credit it deserves by the wider classic car fraternity.

Oh and GTi John, i spent ages looking at your blue Coupe! It looked absolutely stunning, you must be very proud of it. After seeing your car Tahiti Blue is now my favorite Rover colour!

Return to “Events and Meetings”