Terraclean

Found a reccomended supplier of products or services? Think others would benefit? Then leave feedback in here and let us know about it.
Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

Terraclean

#1 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Well, I resisted mentioning I was going to go for this to the forum as on just about every other forum there have been cries of "snake oil" and comments about the wonders of the placebo effect.

Went for it at the weekend on my 216 / Honda SOHC engine currently with 103,000 miles. It's had a stress-free life (usually change up at 3,000 rpm) and all it's 6-monthly oil and filter changes with Magnatec for 20 years. Engine had been poked, prodded and adjusted, had all its service parts replaced and has been fitted with Densio Iridum IQ20 plugs, K&N standard-fit replacement air filter, new Lucas dizzy cap, Lucas rotor arm, Bosch HT leads, etc. Maximum power was measured recently to be 110.2bhp which is spot on, peak torque at 6380 rpm (should be 6300) but the torque figure was about 97Nm and it should be about 104Nm I think.

On the car I'd noticed:

1. A little bit of a judder on start-up, i.e. not as clean as it was when new (but this had been subtly evident from about the 40K mark).

2. A distinct lack of power if I had to brake suddenly then jump on the gas expecting the revs to pick up from about 2200 - there were definite flat spots in performance at lower revs. This had been getting subtly worse for a few years.

3. The engine was noisier than when new - harsher sounding on the flat cruising in 5th at 60mph/3000rpm or less, and harsher sounding under heavy acceleration, especially up hill.

4. If you blipped the throttle, the engine revs would sometimes dip first, then pick up.

5. Fuel economy was at best about 38-39mpg early autumn last year - my daily drive is about 8 miles of steady 60mph, 8 miles of 30mph stop/start town driving and 14 miles of mixed 30/40mph driving pretty clear of traffic. Economy had dropped as low as 31.5mpg in the middle of winter (which I know cars suffer from anyway) but hadn't picked up much since the warmer weather arrived. Currently achieving about 33mpg.

So... decided to go for a Terraclean. For the uninitiated, this is a decoking treatment using a special fuel "invented" for a project funded by the Canadian government to develop a zero-emissions combustion-engine car. Having established the fuel would end up costing the consumer £40 a litre, they abandoned the project. However, they'd noticed the engines that had been running on the fuel hadn't developed any coke build up and instead appeared "cleaner." They switched the remaining project funds into developing an automatic car engine decoking machine.

My local agent was Jay Lawley garages in Halesowen. Price was £85 (engines up to 2L) which was the cheapest within a 25 mile radius. They disconnect the fuel feed into the fuel rail, hook up the fuel rail to their machine, take out your fuel pump fuse so your tank doesn't empty itself all over the floor, pressurise the fuel rail with "wonder fuel" from the machine and start your car...

I think they run the car a few times, giving it time to rest in between. Mine went in about 8:45am and it was done by 10:15am.

Instantly noticed a huge difference on picking up the car and driving it over the past 2 days:

1. All flat spots in performance at low revs completely gone - the engine pulls much better.

2. The occasional dip in revs on gentle throttle before pickup has completely gone - the revs pick up extremely quickly and immediately. It's very "eager" by comparison with the "before" behaviour.

3. Engine revs more freely.

4. Engine is whisper quiet on the flat when cruising at 3000rpm or less.

5. Engine doesn't sound like its struggling under heavy load when accelerating up steep hills.

6. Cleaner start - still not quite as clean as when the car was new, but pretty close.

It's been well worth the cost for me, just for the extra enjoyment I get out of driving the car now. I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks they might have the same symptoms - the feeling that the car is "old" before its time... just get it Terra-cleaned.

Don't think it'd make any difference to an engine that's been "ragged," or to one that's been rebuilt (obviously). And if you do a mix of driving where you're regularly running the engine at higher revs, you're probably doing a good job of keeping the engine fairly coke free anyway.

But if you've got a high-miler and you think or know the car's had too much town driving and should otherwise be better than it feels... I'd recommend having this done.

I was half-way down a tank at the weekend, so I won't be able to make a genuine fuel economy measurement until the next tank goes through - but I'll add something to the thread in a couple of weeks when that's done. I may also do another power run to confirm my suspicions that at least the torque figure has improved quite significantly.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: Terraclean

#2 Post by GTiJohn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Really interesting - I'd not heard of this before.

Keep us posted, especially on how long you feel these improvements last.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

scouter

#3 Post by scouter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Seen this advertised on Sky by Ed China of Wheeler Dealer fame,
looks very interesting.

Christopher.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:52 pm

The main benefits for a lot of people are reduced emissions, particularly if their old car has failed its MOT because of CO or NOx levels. It's a quick "fix" to get the car to pass.

They advertise it's main benefit as gaining back fuel efficiency... and also engine performance.

Since emissions are linked to how well the fuel is being burnt, which is linked to economy, and cars burn the most fuel under acceleration which the motoring organisations still recommend should be "brisk" to allow cruising speeds to be reached quickly, there's a definite relationship between the emissions, economy and performance of a car engine.

TBH, I don't think there was another solution to decoking an engine, was there? I've read some posts about people decoking 50-year old cars with V8 lumps in the US pouring brake fluid (or brake cleaner?) into the cylinder bores and letting it "soak in" - then living with the smoke cloud the car produces afterwards, which can probably be seen for miles and is best done "out in the wilds" somewhere where no-one can see it... :scared Not recommended...

I'll post back on fuel economy - and if I find someone to do a cheap emissions measurement, that might be interesting too as I know what the car read a couple of weeks ago on its MOT...
Last edited by Johnny 216GSi on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#5 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:16 am

Just had a tank go through today. 335 miles and 40.33 litres / 8.87 gallons to refill with back-pressure switch-off. I make that 37.76mpg with, I'd say, "combined cycle" style driving conditions.

Considering I was getting about 33mpg, that's a 14.4% increase, which I think they say you should get.

Happy so far :D

Image Image

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#6 Post by GTiJohn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:31 am

Johnny 216GSi wrote:Just had a tank go through today. 335 miles and 40.33 litres / 8.87 gallons to refill with back-pressure switch-off. I make that 37.76mpg with, I'd say, "combined cycle" style driving conditions.

Considering I was getting about 33mpg, that's a 14.4% increase, which I think they say you should get.

Happy so far :D
Impressive stuff indeed - keep us updated on how thing develop :clapping

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Mon May 04, 2015 12:40 am

Another tank through. I've done a huge amount of driving this week. Probably a little more motorway too...

339.2 miles and 40.49 litres to refill. That's 38.08mpg. Going up... :D

Image Image

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#8 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

When fuel injected engines first arrived en masse in the late 1980s, much was made at the time of having the injectors removed and ultrasonically cleaned at extended mileage intervals.
Expensive, and customer takeup was not particularly high, unless the car was giving problems.

Next came the can of Forte injector cleaner put in the tank at every major service (probably more to prevent the buildup of crud than remove lots of it)

I guess Terraclean is the next evolution.

Have you stuck to a particular brand/grade of fuel over all your years of ownership, John?

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#9 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 am

220 GSi turbo wrote: Have you stuck to a particular brand/grade of fuel over all your years of ownership, John?
Rightly or wrongly, I'm usually filling up with supermarket fuel. That's often the cheapest around.

I did have a "blitz" from about November to Feb, when I'd noticed the fuel economy starting to drop. I tried Shell V-power Nitro+ and filled up for almost 2 months, paying £55 each time :scared That didn't seem to have any effect on economy. I also remember the higher-octane fuels having a subtle effect on performance of the car when it was young - I didn't feel any such effect this time. I was fully expecting a 99 RON fuel to restore some power (over 95 RON) as well as clean the engine parts a little - but nothing was achieved in my opinion.

Then I had almost 2 months putting in Redex petrol injector cleaner (half bottle per tank) using supermarket fuel. Again, no change in performance or feel of the car.

So, I drove it for another 2 months, still recording mileage and seeing figures between 31.5mpg and 33mpg. The weather has gotten a lot warmer since then, so I was expecting fuel economy to increase back to something similar to this time last year. The highest figure I've ever clocked is just under 39mpg on combined cycle - I achieved this about a year ago and I remember achieving it 20 years ago when the car was new.

Given the fuel economy still wasn't coming back, I decided to go for a Terraclean. The fuel economy has jumped up by about 14-15% back to 38mpg, which is an achievement I think - plus, as stated, some distinct flat spots at low revs have completely gone.

I do wonder why there was such a pronounced drop-off in economy over the last year. The car has done 100K, and for 12 years of its life this has been a little over 4K a year. In the last 2 years it's been doing just over 7K a year as my daily workhorse with lots of stop-start driving to get through town-centre congestion. I've usually been filling up at the local ASDA forecourt over this period, aside from my "blitz" with Shell V-power for a few months at the start of the year.

I'm not sure if there's a scientific reason why an engine would coke so quickly - whether it's a symptom of an "old engine" subject to lots of low-speed driving. You'd have thought the coke build up would have been progressive over its 22 year lifespan, but perhaps it's stress-free 4K-a-year life between 2000 and 2012 prevented it happening - the journey's were all 130 miles at that point, as it was the "get me home" car some weekends when I was working down-South. I was usually filling up at the local Morrison's during this period.

Looking at the evidence, you could conclude that supermarket fuel is okay if you're doing regular higher-speed "extra-urban" driving but becomes problematic with low-speed stop-start "urban" driving.

Either way, at the moment I'm happy I haven't wasted my £85. I'd say I still haven't completely done what I wanted to do with the engine. Terraclean is probably a last-step along the way of restoring engine performance (power, torque and noise/smoothness) if you aren't going for a rebuild. I'd say you'd have to look at doing the following, in this order:

1. Plugs. (DONE).
2. Air filter. (DONE).
3. Engine oil flush and refill. (DONE).
4. Engine oil filter. (DONE).
5. Rotor Arm. (DONE).
6. Dizzy cap (DONE).
7. HT leads. (DONE).
8. Fuel filter. (DONE).
9. Valve clearances.
10. Timing.
11. Throttle adjustment.
12. Terraclean. (DONE).

...and there would be lots of associated items, like a gearbox oil refill, etc.

So I've jumped ahead of 9, 10 and 11 (which I intend to do in a month or two's time) - but I've still felt the effects of the Terraclean.

I'll either go for another power run + emissions test this side of doing 9, 10 and 11 to get a better idea of the improvement, or wait until I've completed everything.

Image Image

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#10 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Tue May 05, 2015 2:24 pm

"Looking at the evidence, you could conclude that supermarket fuel is okay if you're doing regular higher-speed "extra-urban" driving but becomes problematic with low-speed stop-start "urban" driving."

I think you've just about hit the nail on the head with this statement. Back in 1993 I splashed out £5k, a lot of money back then, on a gleaming Black duo tone grey 216GSi four door. She had covered a mere 22k miles and was the perfect answer for my long journey from Nottm to Swansea every month to collect my daughter.
However the week day commute was a mere mile down the road and back again. I always filled up at the local Sainsburys filling station because petrol is petrol right? and I always bought the cheapest unleaded available. :oops

After about 6 months and a 1000 or so miles later, the car was running horribly. Poor consumption and a lumpy tick over, a lumpy tick over used to be indicative of a weak mixture back in the day and so I was confused as to what the problem was with this new fangled engine with no carb's or proper distributer. Thus I turned up at the local Rover Dealership and sought some free advice. This was to service the engine with genuine Rover Parts; plugs, air filter, petrol filter and fuel injection cleaner. Oh and to fill up always with Esso unleaded, that they also sold on their forecourt! :cool

So that's what I did :angel and it worked! However I soon worked out that a cheaper deal could be achieved on my expensive servicing parts by not turning up to parts on a Saturday morning when the Parts Manager was behind the counter and charging full whack. :cursing

I have never used Supermarket fuel in a Rover equipped with a Honda D16 from that day to this. I covered 100,000 miles of trouble free motoring in that car over the next 12 years or so and lived to regret scrapping her. :mope Since I've retired from slaving away at the MOD in 2012 I have bought two more 216's. The second one I picked up via Ebay last November [a twin cam] had a horrible lumpy tick over that made the whole car vibrate, especially through the steering wheel. The car was looking pretty unloved although not a lot of miles had been covered in the last ten years and only 64,000 in total. I changed the oil and filter and spark plugs as touched on else where. 1100 miles later running on branded fuel [ BP Shell Esso] and a regular drink of fuel injection cleaner, plus some medium long runs and the tick over and performance is progressively getting better. As I have previously posted I achieved 37 mpg on the round trip up the motorway to POL, cruising at 60 -70 and spending a hour queuing in stationary stop start traffic to get onto Cofton Park.

To sum up my advice would be to use branded detergent fuel, V Power or any other super unleaded is un necessary and keep using a regular additive. My feeling that the Honda fuel injector design is not self cleaning and prone to clogging up unless taken for regular long runs? I ran a CLK Kompressor Sport for 30.000 miles and mainly used supermarket fuel in that with no problems.

I suspect the great improvement brought about by the Terraclean treatment is due to the detrimental effects of non detergent fuel on injector spray pattern and coke build up in the head for the same reason.

Anyway happy summer motoring!
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#11 Post by GTiJohn » Tue May 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Interesting read chaps - thanks.

I'll reassess my idle and then think about using something else but Sainsbury's best....

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#12 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Tue May 26, 2015 11:55 am

Johnny 216GSi wrote:Another tank through. I've done a huge amount of driving this week. Probably a little more motorway too...

Interesting stuff. I've just done 363 miles and 43.4 litres to fill up - I work that out as 38.05mpg - almost identical to yours.

That comprised a trip from Wakefield to Blackpool and back and plenty of pottering around town driving.

My car is similar to yours, a 216, but a 1995 model, 64k on the clock.
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#13 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Paul_1978_yorks wrote:
Johnny 216GSi wrote:Another tank through. I've done a huge amount of driving this week. Probably a little more motorway too...

Interesting stuff. I've just done 363 miles and 43.4 litres to fill up - I work that out as 38.05mpg - almost identical to yours.

That comprised a trip from Wakefield to Blackpool and back and plenty of pottering around town driving.

My car is similar to yours, a 216, but a 1995 model, 64k on the clock.
Ooooo - 33.1 mpg on my last tank. But mainly pottering around town driving for that.
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#14 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Paul_1978_yorks wrote:
Paul_1978_yorks wrote: Ooooo - 33.1 mpg on my last tank. But mainly pottering around town driving for that.
Similar to me I think. Heavy stop-start is about 33mpg. At least it's not the 26 odd mpg that Rover quotes for urban driving - I've never had lower than 31mpg in town driving, even in the middle of Winter, and before the Terraclean.

Doesn't sound like there's anything needs doing to yours. FYI - when the car was "new" (19K miles) I could get 39-point-something but being *very* light-footed - I was turning onto a quiet A-road within a minute or two of starting my journey and sticking to a steady 56...

Image Image