Club Social Media Presence

News and information will be posted here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

Re: Club Social Media Presence

#16 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:37 pm

StubbornPatriot wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 am
The club's reputation can be tarnished if people start posting inappropriate content on any of the sites. We can't control what people say, or how they say it, so it needs to be continuously monitored.
In which case you have nothing to fear - the only person that can post on the Club Twitter or Instagram page is me. It is not possible for other people to post content. Similarly, the Club Facebook page can only be written on by administrators.
StubbornPatriot wrote:
As I see it, that job has been increased fourfold and someone will need to have the responsibility of keeping an eye on it.
Not necessarily true. The Facebook page has been around for ages and is taken care of, primarily by John B I believe.
Twitter can only hold 280 characters per post and is quickly and easily done from a mobile phone, linking back to the club website where necessary.
Instagram is for posting pics - these can be of past events, members cars, cars for sale. On the subject of cars for sale, the photos would be uploaded to Instagram, and linked back to the main post on the club forum. After dealing with a small number of cars offered for sale via the club, I think this will be the easiest way. Flickr is good but awkward to use on mobile which is my primary method of being online
StubbornPatriot wrote:
I realise social media is hear to stay and could be of significant benefit to club members and 200/400 owners and I know I am a bit of a troglodyte (hence I own a Rover) but we do need to exercise as much control over it as necessary to ensure it adds to what we have already and doesn't just become a disjointed and inferior replacement.
I agree wholeheartedly.
StubbornPatriot wrote:
To simply assume that the forum will remain the 'No.1 go to place' is a little naive. As I said in my previous post, I have seen another group's 'No. 1 go to place' become nothing more than tumbleweed as many people gravitated to other outlets (and the remainder just ceased participation as they didn't want to migrate). Even if it does remain the main place it will not necessarily contain all the content as more gets spooled off to other platforms.
The social media feeds should complement the main site and forum, not replace it. The main site is already linked back to on the home pages, but the presence of the club and forums can of course be promoted even more, which I will do today or tomorrow.
StubbornPatriot wrote:
What these additional platforms are 'intended' to achieve and what they actually achieve are not necessarily the same thing. Hopefully, this initiative will work for the benefit of the club and its members but this should not be left to chance.
We can only try. If the results prove to not be favourable, I will delete the Twitter and Instagram accounts.
I (and I am sure the rest of the committee) felt this was worth a go to increase the profile of the club and our cars, especially with the anniversaries this year.
StubbornPatriot wrote:
Despite my concerns, I hope this works and thanks to Paul and the committee for giving it a try. It may even drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century just to keep up, notwithstanding my reluctance.
I understand this totally. I must admit I am not a big fan of Facebook if I am honest. The Facebook groups can see friction which you alluded to earlier (NB do not get FB Pages and FB Groups mixed up as they are quite different). The "Groups" are unmonitored and somewhat of a free for all, whereas the FB page, Twitter and Instagram can most definitely be controlled.
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#17 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:42 pm

montegoman wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 am
There is a need for club presence in all social media but it is important that the no. 1 place for all information is the club website and the club forum. For this reason any cars offered to the club need to be advertised on here. I know you (Paul) are reluctant to load pics of cars for sale on to your personal Flickr account as it mixes them up with all your personal photos (although I like looking at your bus photos!!) I am sure we can set up a club Flickr account in the same way as we used to have a club photobucket account. Having links to other social media options is only partially successful as not everyone has those accounts and therefore access is limited.
Not so much reluctant, but more that Flickr is awkward to use on a mobile phone, and to then do the BBcode and link back to the pics. It is much easier to put the pics on 1 Instagram post and then link that post back to the forum.

I'd like to try this approach for the next cars that are offered for sale via the club and see how it goes.
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#18 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:43 pm

GTiJohn wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:06 am
Interesting discussion and one that has been going on for some time, having been discussed at the last 3 AGMs.

All these new channels are out there and we have to decide which to use and which not to but limiting our presence to just the forum will surely limit the reach of the club. With Paul F now on the committee we have someone with the ability and time to start this. He is running the new Twitter and Instagram accounts and is now an admin with me on the Facebook account

It is an experiment in a way but then so many of these things are!

We are 'connecting' with a new group of people through these channels and we want to direct them to the forum for what it's good at, which is sharing, organising and keeping knowledge. We include links back to the forum topics in the other channels at appropriate points in the threads.

Let's see how it runs but the first signs are promising and thanks to Paul for having got them running so quickly :clapping
Thank you John!
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Nigel B
Club Member

#19 Post by Nigel B » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Interesting and stimulating debate, as one of the individuals who helped set up one of the unofficial FB groups and struggled with the daily administration of a rapid growth in members, I know how difficult it is to monitor, administer, deal with disputes etc.
My only concerns are
1. I have no idea how to use Twitter or Instagram.
2. That a review of how well these are going would be essential, to monitor progress
3. Who will be administrating these as they develop and grow as it is a lot for just a few individuals.

Hope this helps with the debate

Nigel B
Club Member

#20 Post by Nigel B » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Nigel B wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm
Interesting and stimulating debate, as one of the individuals who helped set up one of the unofficial FB groups and struggled with the daily administration of a rapid growth in members, I know how difficult it is to monitor, administer, deal with disputes etc.
My only concerns are
2. That a review of how well these are going would be essential, to monitor progress
3. Who will be administrating these as they develop and grow as it is a lot for just a few individuals.

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#21 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Nigel B wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm
My only concerns are

There shouldn’t be any disputes to deal with as no one else can post on Twitter or Instagram or indeed the FB Page other than the designated club officials.

Agree a review after a few weeks is a good idea!

Happy to make other people admins of Twitter/Instagram as appropriate.
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

StubbornPatriot
Club Member

#22 Post by StubbornPatriot » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Paul - much appreciated and has cleared a lot of things up. This is where I show my ignorance.
In which case you have nothing to fear - the only person that can post on the Club Twitter or Instagram page is me. It is not possible for other people to post content. Similarly, the Club Facebook page can only be written on by administrators.
I thought all these platforms were 2 way and open to anyone to post on. If they are only for outward communication then all my concerns are answered.
1989 216GSI + 1990 216GSI + 1997 416 Tourer + Triumph T160V

Hammond
Club Member

#23 Post by Hammond » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 am

Well here's my thoughts for what it's worth.

Although I love this forum I do think forums are a dying breed and I believe natural selection will one day take it's course. Everything has a life cycle and eventually gets replaced. The ones on here will love it and still keep pushing it but numbers will dwindle as some will move on to aforementioned other platforms.
Being an avid long time user of all 3 of the others I would say that there are things that need to be watched and monitored.
Twitter can be an evil place with lots of keyboard warriors and trolls. A thick skin is needed at times as people are more anonymous than on Facebook. But users are easily blocked if necessary.
Facebook is less wicked as people tend to have more personal information on this and are more easily traceable and therefore accountable. If the club account is a closed group then we can choose who to let in and obviously people can be kicked out if necessary. It doesn't need a certain individual to monitor everything as people can self police and report inappropriate posts to admin anyway. Yes there are regular disagreements on there on but hopefully they can be nipped in the bud to stop them becoming arguments.
In my experience Instagram is the friendliest of the lot and tends to be just a picture sharing platform as the U.I makes posts and messages harder to keep up with etc.

Having the club across all 3 will certainly increase it's profile and attract new followers but it will need to be policed a lot more closely by all to stop the name being dragged down as some have already mentioned.

I'd prefer this forum to be the biggest and most looked at place for Rover info etc but I'm afraid in fast moving times it probably won't be so the club has done right in trying to keep up with modern ways. Let's just hope it has a positive outcome.
Current:
416GTi Auto 'Diamond White' (J reg)
MGF 1.8 VVC Freestyle 'Solar Red'

Previous:
216GSi Auto 'Gold' (H397 HUD)
414Si 'Ocean Blue' (R478 AHJ) Bubble
414SEi 'Bermuda Blue' (V52 VFL) Bubble
214SEi 'Nightfire Red' (M755 SVR)
214i Sprint 'Flame Red' (M726 JOH)

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#24 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:28 pm

StubbornPatriot wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 pm
I thought all these platforms were 2 way and open to anyone to post on. If they are only for outward communication then all my concerns are answered.
People can reply to posts, but these do not display on the main feeds, so yes to all intents and purposes it’s outward going communication only :)
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#25 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Hammond wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 am
Well here's my thoughts for what it's worth.

Although I love this forum I do think forums are a dying breed and I believe natural selection will one day take it's course. Everything has a life cycle and eventually gets replaced. The ones on here will love it and still keep pushing it but numbers will dwindle as some will move on to aforementioned other platforms.
Being an avid long time user of all 3 of the others I would say that there are things that need to be watched and monitored.
Twitter can be an evil place with lots of keyboard warriors and trolls. A thick skin is needed at times as people are more anonymous than on Facebook. But users are easily blocked if necessary.
Facebook is less wicked as people tend to have more personal information on this and are more easily traceable and therefore accountable. If the club account is a closed group then we can choose who to let in and obviously people can be kicked out if necessary. It doesn't need a certain individual to monitor everything as people can self police and report inappropriate posts to admin anyway. Yes there are regular disagreements on there on but hopefully they can be nipped in the bud to stop them becoming arguments.
In my experience Instagram is the friendliest of the lot and tends to be just a picture sharing platform as the U.I makes posts and messages harder to keep up with etc.

Having the club across all 3 will certainly increase it's profile and attract new followers but it will need to be policed a lot more closely by all to stop the name being dragged down as some have already mentioned.

I'd prefer this forum to be the biggest and most looked at place for Rover info etc but I'm afraid in fast moving times it probably won't be so the club has done right in trying to keep up with modern ways. Let's just hope it has a positive outcome.
The Twitter and Instagram pages have been up and running for just over a week.

At the time if writing there are 167 followers on the Instagram account and 17 followers on Twitter.

It is worth noting that there has been nothing negative whatsoever.

I can’t speak for the club’s Facebook page as I don’t frequent it all that often, but it’s generally pretty quiet in terms of users posts (which again, do not show on the main page, so the FB Page is very much Club output only).
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

ROVER-25X
Club Member

#26 Post by ROVER-25X » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Look at Social Media itself has evolved, it started with Chat Rooms and on to platforms like MSN which was
one of if not the biggest messaging board, when facebook came along it pretty much died within a year.

As with that John said, forums are dying and have been for a while now, I have been on about 7 and they
started to die about 10 years ago, more so with model specific forums especially the ones for defunct brands
or models, MG-ROVER went under 14 years ago and as the numbers of cars on the road dwindle so will the
people on the forums dedicated to them.

I organised one of the biggest social monthly meets for years and that died because people were moving on
from the MG-ROVER brand as the cars were coming to there end of life, yes MG is still about but the numbers
are small, plus most new MG owners are former old MG-ROVER owners so not much new blood.

The move to boost the presence of the Club via other social media platforms is a good move, so long as people
still know where this forum is and how to find it.

I only use facebook for parts and mainly to keep in contact with long distance friends, I literally have 7 people
on my list, I only frequent this forum now as the others were salty and cancerous, plus this forum has a core
of ROVER offenders who have long term projects and restorations on the go, I still own 4 myself, none run. :slapme
ROVER-25X (2001 1.4 ROVER 25)
ROVER Cabriolet (1997 1.6 K-Series)
ROVER 25XD (2004 2.0TD ROVER 25)
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

JEASPEKE
Club Member

#27 Post by JEASPEKE » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Now following the club on Twitter :angel