Club Social Media Presence

News and information will be posted here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

Club Social Media Presence

#1 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 am

Hi all,

After discussion at the Club committee meeting at the weekend, the Club has now increased its social media presence to include Twitter and Instagram.

The OC channels are now as follows:

• Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Rover200and400OC/
• Twitter @Rover200400
• Instagram @Rover200400

There are a number of enthusiasts Facebook groups too of course which help with the cause!!

There are lots of club events coming up during the year which will be advertised on the Club’s website and social media output.
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-N Nightfire Red 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1993-K Caribbean Blue 216 Cabriolet
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

Re: Club Social Media Presence

#2 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 pm

In two days, the new Club Twitter account has gained 12 followers, and the Instagram account 46 followers.

Very pleased with that in 48 hours and this will only help the profile of the club being raised.
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

JOHNDQ

#3 Post by JOHNDQ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Good to see wasn't another fake Instagram account :laughing2

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#4 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 pm

JOHNDQ wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm
Good to see wasn't another fake Instagram account :laughing2
Have you seen any others purporting to be the Club?
I had a good look around but couldn’t see any.
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

StubbornPatriot
Club Member

#5 Post by StubbornPatriot » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:22 pm

this will only help the profile of the club being raised.
It may help with the profile of the club being raised but it also dilutes the matters of the club across 4, or more, platforms – depending upon just how many Facebook groups are included – and, who knows, more platforms in the future.

This means there are now 4 platforms for us to police to ensure the reputation of the club is not tarnished. It also means that communications to club members need to be published on all platforms so that each member receives information through their chosen social media outlet.

We will also lose the central repository of information and knowledge. In my opinion this does not sit well with the aims and aspirations of the club.
Currently, the forum provides a well organised and easily searchable place for information to be accumulated and added to. I have no doubt that much of the help content will gravitate to Facebook (particularly) and other platforms. On another interest group I signed up to, the original (parent) group eventually died completely because people simply stopped going there and Facebooked instead. I can see the same happening to our forum. The forum is also a central place to communicate club activities and for members to interact.

We have already seen decreased traffic on the forum since the arrival of the Facebook groups with a lot of owners choosing to use those channels rather than the club’s forum.

To reduce the risk of this backfiring on us, the club will need someone to co-ordinate and police all the social media communication (potentially the most time consuming job on the committee). The club will also need a social media policy. This has been talked about for 2 years but, to my knowledge, has not actually yet been enacted.

In my opinion this is not an entirely good move by the club but I understand the desire of some to go this route. I think it’s ill thought through. Due to the type of members our club attracts, there is a fair chance that a good many will not wish to create personal accounts for all the social media outlets just so they can see what’s going on in Rover 200/400 world and will therefore be excluded from their content.

Personally, I don’t want to have to go round 4 people’s houses to find out where the party is.

Just my two penn’orth.
1989 216GSI + 1990 216GSI + 1997 416 Tourer + Triumph T160V

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#6 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

I understand your points, but in the 21st century, social media is here to stay.

The Twitter and Instagram accounts are not intended to replace the club forum but to complement it. As such the central repository, ie the club website, would not be lost. Note that the Twitter/Instagram pages link back to the official club website.

I don’t see how the club reputation could become tarnished?

The club forum will always be the no. 1 go-to place for all things Rover 200/400/25/45/Streetwise related.

What does everyone else think?
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

crepello
Club Member

#7 Post by crepello » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm

I do share StubbornPatriot's anxieties.

I have however acquired a facebook account to keep an eye on areas of interest. I noticed that a car offered through the Club was posted there recently, but not here.
Actually, I'm getting facebook fatigue already as regards keeping up to date - so much clicking and scrolling back and forth as threads need to be expanded to see what's entered them since last visit. And that's on a laptop, not a phone.

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Secretary

#8 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:18 am

I think there have been 4 cars offered via the club in recent weeks, and I may have forgotten to cross post one of them in the forum.

Incidentally a 416 GTi was posted on here and there was zero interest. Added it to one of the “unofficial” FB groups and it found a buyer the very same day.

“Unofficial” groups being an interesting point actually... these FB groups have their place and are a good thing, however we have now increased our “official” output to ensure that club news (eg charity car at the NEC) gets as much interest as possible.

Biggest problem with this forum is not being able to attach pics.

However my intention going forward was to post cars offered for sale via the club on Instagram (easier to add pics) and then cross post the links here.

Unless someone has any alternative suggestions?
Current:
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport
Former:
1994-M BRG 214 SEi
1995-N Silver 214 SEi
1995-M Silver 216 SLi
1990-G White 416 GSi
+ a 25, 45 & 75

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#9 Post by montegoman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 am

There is a need for club presence in all social media but it is important that the no. 1 place for all information is the club website and the club forum. For this reason any cars offered to the club need to be advertised on here. I know you (Paul) are reluctant to load pics of cars for sale on to your personal Flickr account as it mixes them up with all your personal photos (although I like looking at your bus photos!!) I am sure we can set up a club Flickr account in the same way as we used to have a club photobucket account. Having links to other social media options is only partially successful as not everyone has those accounts and therefore access is limited.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#10 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:06 am

Interesting discussion and one that has been going on for some time, having been discussed at the last 3 AGMs.

All these new channels are out there and we have to decide which to use and which not to but limiting our presence to just the forum will surely limit the reach of the club. With Paul F now on the committee we have someone with the ability and time to start this. He is running the new Twitter and Instagram accounts and is now an admin with me on the Facebook account

It is an experiment in a way but then so many of these things are!

We are 'connecting' with a new group of people through these channels and we want to direct them to the forum for what it's good at, which is sharing, organising and keeping knowledge. We include links back to the forum topics in the other channels at appropriate points in the threads.

Let's see how it runs but the first signs are promising and thanks to Paul for having got them running so quickly :clapping
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

1234dist
Club Member

#11 Post by 1234dist » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:28 am

Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

StubbornPatriot
Club Member

#12 Post by StubbornPatriot » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 am

The club's reputation can be tarnished if people start posting inappropriate content on any of the sites. We can't control what people say, or how they say it, so it needs to be continuously monitored. Just look at the verbal diarrhoea frequently found all over social media and the personal spats between 'contributors'. This does seem to be more prevalent on the more open platforms. Even the odd post on our club forum has to be deleted every now and again, nothing is pro-actively moderated, so can only be vetted after the posting. As I see it, that job has been increased fourfold and someone will need to have the responsibility of keeping an eye on it.

I realise social media is hear to stay and could be of significant benefit to club members and 200/400 owners and I know I am a bit of a troglodyte (hence I own a Rover) but we do need to exercise as much control over it as necessary to ensure it adds to what we have already and doesn't just become a disjointed and inferior replacement.

To simply assume that the forum will remain the 'No.1 go to place' is a little naive. As I said in my previous post, I have seen another group's 'No. 1 go to place' become nothing more than tumbleweed as many people gravitated to other outlets (and the remainder just ceased participation as they didn't want to migrate). Even if it does remain the main place it will not necessarily contain all the content as more gets spooled off to other platforms.

What these additional platforms are 'intended' to achieve and what they actually achieve are not necessarily the same thing. Hopefully, this initiative will work for the benefit of the club and its members but this should not be left to chance.

Despite my concerns, I hope this works and thanks to Paul and the committee for giving it a try. It may even drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century just to keep up, notwithstanding my reluctance.

JOHNDQ

#13 Post by JOHNDQ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 am

StubbornPatriot wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 am
The club's reputation can be tarnished if people start posting inappropriate content on any of the sites. We can't control what people say, or how they say it, so it needs to be continuously monitored. Just look at the verbal diarrhoea frequently found all over social media and the personal spats between 'contributors'. This does seem to be more prevalent on the more open platforms. Even the odd post on our club forum has to be deleted every now and again, nothing is pro-actively moderated, so can only be vetted after the posting. As I see it, that job has been increased fourfold and someone will need to have the responsibility of keeping an eye on it.

I realise social media is hear to stay and could be of significant benefit to club members and 200/400 owners and I know I am a bit of a troglodyte (hence I own a Rover) but we do need to exercise as much control over it as necessary to ensure it adds to what we have already and doesn't just become a disjointed and inferior replacement.

To simply assume that the forum will remain the 'No.1 go to place' is a little naive. As I said in my previous post, I have seen another group's 'No. 1 go to place' become nothing more than tumbleweed as many people gravitated to other outlets (and the remainder just ceased participation as they didn't want to migrate). Even if it does remain the main place it will not necessarily contain all the content as more gets spooled off to other platforms.

What these additional platforms are 'intended' to achieve and what they actually achieve are not necessarily the same thing. Hopefully, this initiative will work for the benefit of the club and its members but this should not be left to chance.

Despite my concerns, I hope this works and thanks to Paul and the committee for giving it a try. It may even drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century just to keep up, notwithstanding my reluctance.
I hope this doesn't come across as rude but I think your out of touch with how it is now. ALL FORUMS are more less dead now even MLR which was easily the Biggest forum in the UK and probably Europe for the Mitsubishi Evo has been sold as almost empty now. Unfortunately no one wants to use forums now as it's so easy just to look on one place i.e Facebook same as if somebody wants to buy something how they just go straight to eBay rather than the shop that's why the high streets are dieing. I feel that if the forum doesn't stretch out bearing in mind that not many young people will be interested in the rover 200 or 400 the forum will have the same 5 people posting on it and become like a closed old man's smoking club of the few remains. From experience of building my car everywhere I go no one knows what it is and everyone just laughs and takes the mick out of it because it's a rover and I'm only 36 :*laughing my fat rear end off*

1234dist
Club Member

#14 Post by 1234dist » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 am

i'm not that old and i don't smoke :unsure
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

StubbornPatriot
Club Member

#15 Post by StubbornPatriot » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 am

Hi JohnDQ, no, I don't consider it as rude. This is a dialectic and we should all be able to exchange opinions without feeling offended, or offending.

You're right, I am out of touch and I like things kept simple and structured, which is what the forum provides. It is a succinct central point of communication and reference, which is an invaluable resource (and becoming more so). It's a bit like having all the information in a complete workshop manual and then tearing pages out and putting them elsewhere - all the information is still around, it's just more difficult to locate and organise. I think it would be a loss to both current and future owners if it stops being the focal point - and that, particularly, will include the younger owners of the future to whom our guardianship will eventually pass.

I am not against using social media. I do think it is a good move to engage a wider (and probably younger) audience. I just don't want to see the forum become devalued if we can avoid it. This is where we are building up an information bank for the future, when much of the current expertise will be lost. Just because it is the modern trend doesn't make it better (even if it is one we are obliged to follow) - in so many things these days you have to go through many channels to find, or communicate, what you want, when previously you could do it through one channel (although I take your point that in many cases it is the reverse, re: your e.g. of Ebay).

What I'm looking for is a road map to get the best of both worlds and everyone's contribution might help us to get to that point.