My 214 Cabbie

Post pictures of your car here. We want pics!

Moderator: Forum Staff

bodie37

My 214 Cabbie

#1 Post by bodie37 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi.

Just purchased a 214 Cabbie this weekend, joined the club and joined the forum. This is the picture of the car. This is the first car I've ever bought as a hobby car and after being inspired by Wheeler Dealers I went out bought one and now want to get it back to tip top condition.

214cab

Re: My 214 Cabbie

#2 Post by 214cab » Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Looks in pretty good condition in that pic.

What needs doing on it? What plans have you got for the car?

Nearly every car i've ever owned has always been one to tinker on or tidy up, my wife's cars on the other hand are the practical boring ones!

bodie37

#3 Post by bodie37 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm

It has a small rust patch on the bottom of the nearside door and two small shopping trolly dents on the rear nearside panel.

It needs three new tyres and the wheels need tidying up. I want to replace the seats and door cards for leather.

The roof is new but the inside needs a good scrub.

The brakes are really soft, not sure if this is usual for a 214? Its had a new clutch as well.

The power steering leaks but this due to somebody not replacing a bit of pipe with the correct length.

Its done 52k miles so needs a cambelt and water pump change. This is the first time I'm going to attempt this and I'm lucky the the next door neighbour is a mechanic and only wants paying in a meal out for his wife and kids. Got a good teacher!

One thing that worries me is a strange noise from the gearbox and the suspension seems wrong. Again not sure if its just an old car or if there are problems. But then I wanted a car to work on.

Underneath will need waxoiling and I would like to get it to a state when I could show it.

I really think these will be a modern classic, like the Capri has turned out to be!

All in all not bad for £600 as it has 10 months tax and MOT.

2rovers

#4 Post by 2rovers » Mon May 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Hey bud, well done, it's a nice cabby and identicle except engine to my 216. Night fire red looks great.

Just thought I'd share with you my thoughts on the noisey gearbox.
Mine had a simular problem, and so I'm wondering as a matter of course to top up the gearbox oil and see if this rids the problem, if you still get the noises after a few days then it may be worth checking your shaft seals, as they are cheap enough to replace and not too problematic.
I found this out the hard way after replacing the gearbox and then found out it was the seals! My seals cost just under a tenner, so cheap enough to check anyway.

Regarding suspension I really couldn't say except I'd investigate it after you've put new tyres on and had them balanced, that way everything will be set up properly for you to make adjustments if required.
Probably worth getting it tracked too , then you could start looking at bushes, link rods etc etc if the problem continues.

All the best,
(M) Rover 420 sli saloon British racing green (show car) (walford.org)
51 v70 Volvo estate (200k and still ticking ) Daily driver & workhorse .
01 v70 Volvo estate (205k and is poorly )

bodie37

#5 Post by bodie37 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks I'll try that when my Haynes manual arrivies :)

214cab

#6 Post by 214cab » Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

bodie37 wrote:The brakes are really soft, not sure if this is usual for a 214? Its had a new clutch as well.

All in all not bad for £600 as it has 10 months tax and MOT.
Sounds like you got it at a decent price, nice and low mileage with long tax and mot, and a good roof! - bargain!

Soft brakes - New pads and discs for the front (and new shoes for the back - assuming the rear was not upgraded as an option or at a later date), won't cost you much and along with draining the fluid - Should transform the brakes.

Keep your eye on Ebay, as leather seats come up fairly often and don't generally cost much.

PS. Is it a manual or power hood? I'm planning on doing a power hood conversion and it seems pretty straight forward.

bodie37

#7 Post by bodie37 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 pm

It's a power hood. In good condition, just needs the fluid topping up, greasing and cleaning on the inside.

Just bought a Haynes manual on ebay for 99p. Plus its so nice I treated it to some petrol!