Electric sunroof for 416 converted to manual

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Brum
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 416 Saloon

Electric sunroof for 416 converted to manual

#1 Post by Brum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Does anyone know if you can convert an electrical sunroof for a 416sli to fit a manual sunroof?
I've been given an electrical one but mine is manual will it work?

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

Re: Electric sunroof for 416 converted to manual

#2 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:43 pm

At a guess I would say that the wiring will be there, is the switch in the instrument binnacle fitted ? It's listed in the Owners Manual.

Do you have electrically operated/heated wing mirrors? that is perhaps a clue, or not come to think on it, because my 95 has an electric roof, but manual mirrors.

Edited to say that the key issue will be the presence [ or not] of an electrical feed up into the roof, via the windscreen pillar and underneath the roof lining.

:slapme

2nd edit: Irrespective of a live feed into the roof, you will need the motor/harness and relay assembly. The sunroof itself is mechanically identical; so it will fit into either a manual or electrically operated car.

Got there at last.

:mouthshut
Teddy Bear

Rover 216 GTi Flame Red 1992

Rover 414Si British Racing Green 1995

Rover 216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

alviseven
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

#3 Post by alviseven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Having been at this recently I am pretty certain that a complete sunroof unit should have the blue control box attached to the sunroof assembly on the drivers side corner so only needs the feed up the windscreen pillar. I had to change this on my car as it was blown and took one off a spare sunroof unit complete so it was not attached to the car. If the sunroof unit is going to be changed completely I assume you have the headlining down and changing the whole thing should be then quite easy - 6 or 8 bolts - or are you planning to just change the glass which I believe can be done from the outside according to the factory manual. However this would not convert the sunroof either.
The switch in the dash is an easy fix but the wiring might be more of an issue; however the plug may be in place as teddy bear suggests. There is also a yellow relay I think in the drivers foot well which is associated. Surely a quick check to the suitability of the wiring is to check the fuse? If contacts are there then it could be fused. I know the sunroof wires plug into the rear of the fuse box in the centre as a single plug - because I was chasing a fault on my sunroof for two years which was intermittent to died completely dependent on mood and it turned out to be a loose plug at this point! Doh!
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

alviseven
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 216 Hatchback

#4 Post by alviseven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Following on from my electric sunroof issued - my roof was still open as I carried the emergency key from the boot with me inside the car - too often it would open and then not shut. It would manually wind shut quite easily with this key - not pretty but perfectly easy. Also discovered that a hex bit in a battery cordless drill would do the job even quicker! Worked lubricant into the drive worm this way as I though the roof was too stiff and this was the issue. So an electric roof can be manually operated easily is my point.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers