Heated rear window and rear wiper not working

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition
GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Heated rear window and rear wiper not working

#1 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:36 pm

This has been an on-and-off problem since I bought my 200 but not it's all off.....

Neither works at all now, which is bearable in the wonderful British summer, but this will be a pain when winter returns.

The rear washer still works so I must be getting some power to the tailgate. All fuses seem to be intact but I can't now seem to find find the 10A fuse I referred to myself in a previous post on a related topic (radio memory).

Could it be both switches have gone awol at the same time or is there anything else that connects these 2 failures together ?

All help greatfully recieved.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

mach1rob

Re: Heated rear window and rear wiper not working

#2 Post by mach1rob » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm

I'd check the loom where the rubber grommets pass from the body into the tailgate, over the years they tend to break. It's a bit of a pain to sort as there isn't much slack on the loom.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#3 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Now that we've had a bit of rain, I've realised that the front intermittent wipe doesn't work either.

This is reminding me of finding a blown fuse which sorted out the rear wiper and the front intermittent wipe but I can't find anyone that's blown this time.

Can anybody tell me which fuse I should be scutinising more closely ?

Deev

#4 Post by Deev » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:05 am

This sounds very similar to my current issue where I (think!) I've knocked a multiplug connector ff on the back of the console. I'm just about to go rip my dashboard apart to investigate, but I have exactly the same electrical failures as you, plus the stereo and electric windows.

Deev

#5 Post by Deev » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Mine turned out to be the fuse labelled "Radio MFU" (bizarrely enough), although I had more things fail than you, including my electric windows which I'd guess you'd have noticed!! So I'd probably suspect the apparently infamous Multi Function Unit - a red box clipped to the back of the fusebox under the steering wheel. Apparently these are notorious, and they control all of these functions and more, so first of all check your connections to there, or maybe even invest in a new one... probably plenty of them at scrappies, or they seem to average about £20 a pop on eBay so it's worth a gamble (and if it doesn't help you can probably re-sell it and get your money back!)

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#6 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Ah, I'd forgotten about the MFU. It seems to cover all of the things that are currently not working - including the lights-on buzzer.

After consulting my trusty Haynes manual I've attempted to get it into its diagnostic mode but not a beep. So I reckon it's khaput.

Scrappy or ebay here I come....again.

Thanks for the advice.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#7 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Having already bought the wrong one on ebay, I been down to my local scrappy and found an MFU in an M-reg 214SEi but this one is part number YWC10004.

Taking mine out, I've seen that the part number is YWC10003.

Looking on ebay, an ad for a YWC10004 says the 2 are not interchangeable.

:S

Can anybody confirm if this is the case please ? I don't want to plug it in and fry anything....

roverman1

#8 Post by roverman1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 am

I would plug it in, i think they are all the same i used a mfu from a 95 model coupe on my 91 sli and every thing worked as it should.

nuff said!

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#9 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 am

Bingo !

Everything working again :clapping

Just gotta list a YXC104500 - MFU for a later 200/400, I guess - on ebay.

Unless anybody here needs one.....

PeterSpring
Club Member

#10 Post by PeterSpring » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm

My Rover 25 has had this and similar problems three times. The first was about 2010 when the car was about 7 years old and I had had it for about 2 years. I was short of cash at the time, so unpicked the wires going through the offside grommet, found the broken ones and inserted short links into these with soldering iron and insulating tape. This lasted until about 2015 when the rear screen heater ceased working and then the rear wiper and then the distance sensor stopped too. A motor electrician at my garage then did a similar job and got them all working again. But now the rear wiper has stopped again. I put up with this for a while, but driving in torrential rain on a motorway made me realise how essential the rear wiper can be, so I've got a garage to source and soon to fit a new hatchback loom before anything else fails at the back.

I told the garage that in my opinion the offside grommet is too tight for that number of wires (made worse in my case, as it's an Expression S with the distance sensor wires adding to the bundle) but they disagreed saying that it's just the wires getting brittle with age. I'm a bit dubious, as my previous Rover 214 was 17 years old when I scrapped it but never had any of these problems, whereas the 25 was showing this problem at only 7 years old. Hence, I was intrigued to read mach1rob's post "I'd check the loom where the rubber grommets pass from the body into the tailgate, over the years they tend to break. It's a bit of a pain to sort as there isn't much slack on the loom." I agree with the second sentence.

Has anyone else had this problem on a Rover 25 and have they solved it by being creative with the loom, perhaps improvising with a bigger grommet, or just letting the wires hang loose, so that they can flex properly? I think the wires are so tightly packed they are unable to slide over each other in the restricted tube of the grommet, every time the hatch is opened and closed. The garage will not want to risk being creative, but I may become creative myself, so that I don't have to spend a large load of dosh again in 7 years time. Any suggestions welcome.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#11 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 pm

PeterSpring wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm
My Rover 25 has had this and similar problems three times. The first was about 2010 when the car was about 7 years old and I had had it for about 2 years. I was short of cash at the time, so unpicked the wires going through the offside grommet, found the broken ones and inserted short links into these with soldering iron and insulating tape. This lasted until about 2015 when the rear screen heater ceased working and then the rear wiper and then the distance sensor stopped too. A motor electrician at my garage then did a similar job and got them all working again. But now the rear wiper has stopped again. I put up with this for a while, but driving in torrential rain on a motorway made me realise how essential the rear wiper can be, so I've got a garage to source and soon to fit a new hatchback loom before anything else fails at the back.

I told the garage that in my opinion the offside grommet is too tight for that number of wires (made worse in my case, as it's an Expression S with the distance sensor wires adding to the bundle) but they disagreed saying that it's just the wires getting brittle with age. I'm a bit dubious, as my previous Rover 214 was 17 years old when I scrapped it but never had any of these problems, whereas the 25 was showing this problem at only 7 years old. Hence, I was intrigued to read mach1rob's post "I'd check the loom where the rubber grommets pass from the body into the tailgate, over the years they tend to break. It's a bit of a pain to sort as there isn't much slack on the loom." I agree with the second sentence.

Has anyone else had this problem on a Rover 25 and have they solved it by being creative with the loom, perhaps improvising with a bigger grommet, or just letting the wires hang loose, so that they can flex properly? I think the wires are so tightly packed they are unable to slide over each other in the restricted tube of the grommet, every time the hatch is opened and closed. The garage will not want to risk being creative, but I may become creative myself, so that I don't have to spend a large load of dosh again in 7 years time. Any suggestions welcome.
I've just done a repair to my loom on an R8. It was the largest wire, which I assume is a ground but didn't check. Everything was working - no failures, but I was poking around checking things and saw the wire has half cut through, with insulation missing.

I haven't done this, but I wonder if you could introduce some grease to the cabling - either a silicone or Lithium type - to stop the PVC getting brittle and help the wires move a bit.

Otherwise, you could always consider replacing the wiring with flexible cabling - such a thing exists for things like test leads on multimetres, etc. It would mean making sound, well-insulated joints to the existing loom nd pushing the joints back inside the body at both ends.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

PeterSpring
Club Member

#12 Post by PeterSpring » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks, Johnny.

Some useful suggestions. I'll certainly try the lubrication. It should postpone the day until I need to try your other suggestions, or similar workarounds.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#13 Post by GTiJohn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 am

It's great when an old thread resurfaces :D

It doesn't help that the wires get so bent on every closure but every car with a boot/tailgate has a similar problem...

Out with the grease spray next time then !