Tappits noise

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

Tappits noise

#1 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi all
When I start my SEi 214 1995 38000 miles I hear a rapid hard ticking noise after about three or four minutes it stops...I think it might be the tappits...no mechanic!
If I am right what is the best permanent fix
George

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

Re: Tappits noise

#2 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:14 pm

That is very likely to be the hydraulic tappets responsible for the noise. The fault could lie either with a sticky tappet or valve; the best means of rectification is only use a quality detergent fuel and a synthetic engine oil [Shell Helix Ultra] then drive it! Problem should sort itself after a few hundred miles or so.
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:19 pm

george@gmpy.co.uk wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm
Hi all
When I start my SEi 214 1995 38000 miles I hear a rapid hard ticking noise after about three or four minutes it stops...I think it might be the tappits...no mechanic!
If I am right what is the best permanent fix
George
How long is the car not used between journeys?

It's possibly tappet noise - in which case you're going to hear that as the K series engines have hydraulic lifters to automatically adjust clearances- the hydraulic pressure falls when the car isn't in use, so the clearances are much wider if the car hasn't been started for a while and you get the clacking.

It's going to sound worse in winter. The only other thing it can be (or it could be a combination of both) is the injectors. When the engine is stone cold, the ECU hits the injectors with maximum voltage to get them open and get enough fuel into the engine. This also sounds worse in winter - at least on my car, although it's a Honda engine - and it dominates the sound as the Honda engines don't have hydraulic lifters.

The engines all settle down once they start to warm up.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

#4 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Ok an oil change sound about ready,as she has not run much in the last seven years.
Would you recommend a flushing agent first say STP ® Engine Flush 62450EN 450ml
George

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#5 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:41 pm

george@gmpy.co.uk wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm
Ok an oil change sound about ready,as she has not run much in the last seven years.
George
I know you were responding to Mr. Teddy Bear's post, but my two-penneth is for things like oil flush additive or injector cleaner additive you can't go wrong with the Forte brand - normally only available to the trade, but you can find sellers on Ebay who've got the various lotions and potions. I do an oil flush every so often - not every oil change. Some poeple say not to do it if the engine oil is very old, as it might loosen thickened oil that's stuck somewhere in the sump and it'll go flying round the engine and cause a blockage somewhere. Me personally, I'd just do the oil change and run it well, and probably another in 6 months time, then think about a flush once you know all the old oil has definitely gone.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#6 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:27 pm

george@gmpy.co.uk wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm
George
Not unless the oil is very dirty and hasn't been changed when it should have been. You don't move the vehicle with a flushing agent in the oil by the way. To avoid any confusion you can't adjust the tappets on a K Series Engine.

If the car has just been inactive for a long period of time, like mine was, then I stick by my original advice; a synthetic engine oil changed regularly will help to clean the hydraulic tappets in the cyl head. My other reason for using synthetic oil is that the engine is designed to run hot, both thermostat variant's are not fully open until 80+ deg C. The cooling system holds 2.5 litres of coolant, whereas the sump holds 4.75 litres of oil.
Also the injectors may be gummed up and the K Series according to '220GSi Turbo' is prone to sticking valves, a quality detergent fuel [not supermarket] such as ESSO/BP/SHELL plus additive will eventually sort that out.

My 414 had been owned by an older person before I got it and was down on torque quite noticeably until 18 miles had been driven. After that the engine noticeably improved, it also developed a very loud tapping from the head area; all sorted eventually by synthetic oil, quality fuel and being driven!
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

#7 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:44 pm

OK Many thanks ,what would I do with out you guys
So good petrol Shell then the oil you recommend, I'll post in a month or so
Seasons greetings to you and yours
George

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

#8 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi you all,
OK used the recommended oil and flush together with top priced shell fuel,plus new water pump and cam belt,
Swear she accelerates much quicker and no tappit noise indeed she is purring!!
Many thanks to you all...may be catch up with some of you at the 2019 rally's
George