rain water

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

palderton
Club Member

rain water

#1 Post by palderton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 am

Hi, I have a Rover 45 Club and am having a problem with rain water getting in onto the passenger side floor mat. This only happens when it rains or I wash the car. I presume there is channel that takes water from the screen etc and runs it out under the car. I am thinking the channel may be blocked. How do I get to the channel to check it. Hope you can help. Cheers Brian

Vinny1979

Re: rain water

#2 Post by Vinny1979 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Its either in the a pillar door opening or under arch liner i presume!
1993 Rover 220 GSi Turbo , 2005 MG ZS 180 mk2

palderton
Club Member

#3 Post by palderton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Many thanks, will have a look

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 pm

palderton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 am
Hi, I have a Rover 45 Club and am having a problem with rain water getting in onto the passenger side floor mat. This only happens when it rains or I wash the car. I presume there is channel that takes water from the screen etc and runs it out under the car. I am thinking the channel may be blocked. How do I get to the channel to check it. Hope you can help. Cheers Brian
When did you last have the windscreen replaced? It's typical for the bonding to be botched, leaving several inches of unbonded screen along the top or side. This guarantees a leak into the car as the rains arrive. It'll either leak straight away , or when the insufficient amount of bonding material actually lets go...

Most people don't immediately think of this, as they have the windscreen replaced at another time of year, perhaps in better weather or when the car is garaged or under a cover. Then they see water but don't think back to the fact a new windscreen was fitted and before that there wasn't a leak. It requires some analysis over a few years, and windscreen installers get away with it.

When my last windscreen was fitted, the installer confirmed 7-8 inches of the old windscreen at the top wasn't bonded. Since the new windscreen, I haven't had any water leaks.

If you hear people saying "they're known for it" it's bull****. It just means there are loads of "couldn't care less, mate!" windscreen installers out there.

It's highly unlikely a drain channel is blocked. What's would it be blocked with??? There aren't any holes anywhere for anything to go down that would clog a drain channel / pipe. They're several millimetres in diameter, and the odd drip of water now and again even over 25-30 years for some of the cars just won't do anything to them.

It's the same with the sunroof - there are 4 drains on the sunroof tray (one in each corner) - people see water inside the car and then rod the pipework. Because they're rubber and they turn sharp-ish corners before they reach their respective outlets, the rodding action just pierces the tube and the car then really does leak water. What do people think is blocking these drain pipes??? The sunroof is designed to have a waterproof seal to the roof - the undertray and drain pipes are a belts-and-braces approach to making sure if one tiny drop of water gets through, it's dealt with properly. No space for a leaf (or three) to get down there - at worst maybe a tiny spec of dust from the air or washed off the car body.
Last edited by Johnny 216GSi on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#5 Post by montegoman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 pm

I had a windscreen de-bond on my 75 and I couldn't believe how much water it let in. I couldn't see that it had de-bonded but the windscreen fitter was convinced that it had and to be fair to him, he was right. It was just a shame that he managed to snap one of the scuttle clips fitting the new screen that caused another much smaller leak in another place!
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)

palderton
Club Member

#6 Post by palderton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies. The reason I think the drain holes are blocked is because the car is parked under trees and in the early summer it was covered in blossom and pollen which goes down the holes for the wiper drives and under the screen trim on the front. When wet the pollen sticks together like wet sand.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 pm

palderton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm
Hi, thanks for your replies. The reason I think the drain holes are blocked is because the car is parked under trees and in the early summer it was covered in blossom and pollen which goes down the holes for the wiper drives and under the screen trim on the front. When wet the pollen sticks together like wet sand.
Underneath the scuttle panel where the wipers bolt through, there's a void. The cabin air intake is in there, and the wiper arm linkage, and that's it. It has drains either side purely because water does get in there - but it has a massive volume really, so it would have to brim with water, and even then, you'd just see it in the engine bay (or sloshing over the bonnet when you applied the brakes!!!) - it wouldn't ever enter the cabin - unless the whole bulkhead has rotted through - which is extremely unlikely indeed (give your car another 50 years on the road and you might have this problem...). The windscreen doesn't have drains as far as I know - there are 4 sunroof drains (one in each corner) - on the R8/XW (earlier car) they emerge under the front wings, and under the rear bumper on both sides. There's only one other drain that I've seen - and that seems to be for the bottom of the rear screen / hatchback - it emerges under the rear number plate applique and it seems to channel water from the underside of the rear screen. This was probably to do with making sure there wasn't water sitting in channel and eventually rusting the metalwork - it wouldn't be to prevent rear screen leaks. I assume they did something similar on your car. The windscreen is supposed to be bonded all round, so where should there be a leak for a drain to be necessary?

It's only really the sunroof that needs drains - early cars didn't have them and the sunroof just leaked into the car. Then some cars had a tray or partial tray underneath but only had one or two drains - when the tray filled up, it would either drain if the car was parked in such a way that the water made it to a drain pipe first, or it would overflow the tray, run inside the car, soak the headlining, rot out the floor pan, etc. Rover put 4 drains on their sunroofs (they are Webasto units) so no matter what orienttation the car is parked in, the water will always drain away. Problem solved.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

g259fsg
Club Member

#8 Post by g259fsg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:08 am

Just seen this thread. A couple of thoughts. I've had leaks round the sunroof on our 1990 214 GSi. It stands outside all the time. Got water leaking in through the headlining, and the seat belts got damp. In this case the seal round the sun roof wasn't as good as it used to be so more water got in and needed to be dealt with. When I replaced the headlining a few years ago I also took out the sun roof assembly and found the water channels had rusted through in a couple of places. The drain hoses seemed fine, so I repaired the sun roof and repainted it. As we don't use the sun roof, I sealed round it with clear silicone mastic so nothing much should get in. No further issues with that.

As others have mentioned, the main drain from the windscreen and ventilation system is either side down the back edge of the front wings. The water runs out at the bottom of the front end of the sill. This can easily block with debris from the screen. I've seen leaves and general muck clogging this up. You need to remove the front mud flap (three screws) and lift the plastic wheel arch liner, to clear out the area. When it's clean and dry, I spray a bit of Waxoyl to prevent rust. This area can stay damp for long periods. In the very heavy rain we had a few weeks ago, I found water had collected in the O/S sill - I could hear it sloshing around. Part of the problem was a blocked drain hole, so I've added a couple more just in case. At the end of the sill, behind the mud flap, there is a rubber bung. I think water built up at the bottom of the drainage channel and leaked through the bung into the sill.

Hugh

palderton
Club Member

#9 Post by palderton » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:44 pm

I have removed the screen trim and the near side channel was blocked solid with debris, leaves etc. I have cleaned out the drain channels and am having the screen rebonded on Friday. The screen is not leaking at the moment but with winter coming its better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the comments.

Vinny1979

#10 Post by Vinny1979 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 pm

happy days
1993 Rover 220 GSi Turbo , 2005 MG ZS 180 mk2

palderton
Club Member

#11 Post by palderton » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Had to have a new screen today, took the fitter nearly two hours to remove the old one. He said there was so much putty holding it in it cracked when he struggled to remove it. He said he always carries a spare screen as he has had this problem with rovers before. Happy days, hope this is the end of the problem.