What is my car trying to tell me?

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

What is my car trying to tell me?

#1 Post by GTiJohn » Wed May 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Both of these may be related to how much less use the car is getting in the last couple of months but it does get a run every few days...

My R3 Vi has twice, when starting from cold (c.10degC ambient), cranked, fired then died. It did this a couple of times before I applied a little throttle then it fired and ran as usual. Should I be looking for anything in particular?

My 'everyday' key fob now locks and unlocks the central locking cleanly on the second press of the respective buttons. I guess this just means 'change the battery' but I got my reserve fob out just to make sure that was still synched and that works on the first press, only it is associated with a 'chatter' of the driver's door solenoid when both unlocking and locking. Is this significant?

Is paranoia a recognised symptom of COVID-19 ? :*laughs*
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

1234dist
Club Member

Re: What is my car trying to tell me?

#2 Post by 1234dist » Wed May 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Fobs defo battery cr2302.

Start then die could be fuel related, assuming you prime prior to start. Alternatively check the air filter isn’t blocked.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed May 20, 2020 9:22 pm

GTiJohn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:04 pm
Both of these may be related to how much less use the car is getting in the last couple of months but it does get a run every few days...

My R3 Vi has twice, when starting from cold (c.10degC ambient), cranked, fired then died. It did this a couple of times before I applied a little throttle then it fired and ran as usual. Should I be looking for anything in particular?

My 'everyday' key fob now locks and unlocks the central locking cleanly on the second press of the respective buttons. I guess this just means 'change the battery' but I got my reserve fob out just to make sure that was still synched and that works on the first press, only it is associated with a 'chatter' of the driver's door solenoid when both unlocking and locking. Is this significant?

GTiJohn wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Try as I might to maintain both my original fobs on my SLi, they're both playing up - and both with new Duracell CR2032 batteries - and I've changed the crystal and buttons on one of them too. The car hasn't been used for months now, so god only knows if anything will work... I can see me using the EKA code which luckily I do have for the car.

I'm not sure they have degraded - I'm not heavy handed or a heavy button basher in lieu of understanding the sync problem, which I think it is.

As far as I know, the car and the key fobs advance their codes on internal timers that run at different rates - the car rate is faster so old codes are by default invalidated sooner for security purposes. It's worse for the unlock codes (for obvious reasons) - which is why you attempt to resync using the lock button - the car is slightly more receptive to codes in and around it's current sync position when locking than when receiving an unlock code.

I make the effort to get both fobs opening the doors so they're synced, then they go out of sync again and only one fob works, or just the other one works and the one I thought I could rely on stops working. All very strange. I'm at the point now where I too can't rely on a single "unlock" - I have to try the button a few times and it might work.

I might have to source a spare 5AS system or just try getting a couple of extra fobs coded as the system will cope with more than 2 fobs active (it's between 3 and 5 but I can't remember the exact figure).

Regarding the lock chatter - all the CL locks on my car make a whirring sound after locking or unlocking - every 200 & 400 does this doesn't it? Or is chatter something worse than the whirring sound?
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#4 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Thu May 21, 2020 9:40 am

How old is the fuel in the tank, John? And how much fuel is in there?

If it is a few months old, it could already be past it's 'best before date'.....!
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 18 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Daily: ZR Trophy TD

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Nigel B
Club Member

#5 Post by Nigel B » Thu May 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Paranoia a symptom of Covid19??
That is a symptom of Rover ownership
😂 😂 🤣 🤣 😂 😂

midlifer

#6 Post by midlifer » Thu May 21, 2020 11:43 pm

When my son bought his Rover 25, it always needed a bit of throttle pedal jabbing to get it to start from cold (not unusual for an engine with carburettors, but weird for fuel injection). Long story short, come winter time the car battery died and had to be replaced. From that point on, the car has always started on the turn of the key, without any throttle bashing. Maybe the not-so fun-filled past nine weeks has put your car battery on the endangered list?

Just an idea - it might not be relevant to your problem.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#7 Post by GTiJohn » Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 am

220 GSi turbo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:40 am
How old is the fuel in the tank, John? And how much fuel is in there?

If it is a few months old, it could already be past it's 'best before date'.....!
Half a tank of new 'good stuff' so it's not gone off.

If course the car cranked, started and ran fine yesterday without any throttle :laughing2

Thanks for the other comments, I'll be attempting a fob battery change later today - wish me luck :blink

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#8 Post by GTiJohn » Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm

I think I'd better do tonight's lottery as the fob battery is changed, the CDL locks and unlocks without chattering and the car has started twice, first time :laughing2

redandwhitE
Club Member

#9 Post by redandwhitE » Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 pm

As it appears your luck is in, I have sent you £1.25. Consider us a lottery syndicate!
1995 416 SLi (Ostensibly BRG) - on the road
1998 VW Polo 1.9D CL (purple) - on the road
1993 416 GSi (BRG) - not on the road
1972 Mercedes 350 SL (red) - not on the road
1998 Audi Cabriolet (maroon) - not on the road