Is there any short way between the engine bay & the driver?

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Dorchester
Club Member

Is there any short way between the engine bay & the driver?

#1 Post by Dorchester » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:13 pm

As I've just received my 3 pins diagnostic cable from James Portman of https://rovermems.com/# (but still waiting for an USB female - USB3 male converter), I would like to learn a short way from the bay to the driver seat in my LHD 214 mk2 cabby.
It looks there might be enough room for a supplementary cable in the big grommet between the suspension and the bulkhead. Not an easy access but maybe manageable: am I wrong?
Or is there any other possibility in this area? The cable being 1m long and even with an extra wire I've got at hand (USB female - USB male) I can hardly dispose of more than 2 m.
Thanks for your wise & helpful advices. :)
Rover 214i cabriolet v16 1994 BRG & lightstone leather
Rover 25 1.4 Saws Tuning remapped 2002 platinum silver
Rover 75 V6 2.5 1999 Atlantic blue & sandstone beige leather

RoverRevival
Club Member

Re: Is there any short way between the engine bay & the driver?

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:07 pm

there is a large rubber gromet that links the cab to the firewall, this is where the audio cable for amps are usually fed.
Think that's your easiest route.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
216 ronda coupe
& C3

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 pm

On my 5-door hatch, which should technically be the same as yours, there's a large teardrop shaped grommet on the bulkhead on the N/S of the engine bay - this was for the aircon pipe feed and return to/from the evaporator. It's behind the washer bottle on my car, but that's because it has a Honda engine and a different layout to yours. You might have this grommeted hole - it is rather large. It emerges fairly high up in the passenger footwell.

There's another grommeted hole - this time perfectly round and about 20 to 25mm dia. I'd say about anywhere between 15cm and 30cm in from the N/S engine bay wall - and it's over halfway down from the visible bulk head towards the steering rack sub-frame. This also emerges in the passenger footwell area about midway left-to-right and a bit lower down.

This is the one Dist is talking about I believe.

The reason I mentioned the first hole is because I fitted fog lights and found the connectors on Rover's own loom too large to actually go through the 20-25mm hole, but they went through the aircon pipe hole easily. Depends if your car was ever designed to have aircon - if it did, it should have this hole as the evaporator was a common component and always located top left behind the dashboard on RHD cars.

In each case, you have to peel back the passenger footwell carpet. With a torch you might be able to see pre-cut slits in the black soundproofing sheet underneath the carpet that mark out holes corresponding to the holes in the metalwork.

It's all good fun - I felt like Indiana Jones when I finally found the smaller one lower down, thrust a screwdriver through it to push out the grommet into the engine bay and I got a shaft of light showing the way :laughing2

Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Dorchester
Club Member

#4 Post by Dorchester » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks a lot to you both.
I think that I've already used the first grommet you're talking about Johnny but if I'm not mistaken it's on the wrong side of the car, passenger's side for us and driver's for you, to pass my manual starter wire (my cabby is fuelled by full E85 and I need a manual starter to ease the first start up on a chilly morning).

But I think we all three are agreeing about that large grommet that carries a bunch of wires protected by a sheath, which is on the N/S, that is on the left, driver's side in my LHD car, nearly aligned with my MEMS plug which is between battery, fuse box & ECU.

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks once more.

Dorchester
Club Member

#5 Post by Dorchester » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:12 pm

I've just had a close look around the driver's pedals and on the other side in the engine bay.
I've seen 3 holes on the left (N/S, driver's side in my LHD cabby) from the upper one to the lower one:

- the upper one for the clutch cable (approx. same level as the throttle cable on the right)
- a larger one for a bundle of wires obliquely going to the ECU, below the latter
- a lower & smaller one, unaffected & closed by a rubber (half an inch in diameter at best for the rubber, but the hole itself hardly 2 or 3 mm, retaining the rubber pin) on both sides (cabin & engine bay), closer to the brake pedal, so not aligned with the others, not so far on the left.
It looks it's just a tiny hole which need to be enlarged I bet to allow the passage of the USB plug.

Have you got the same (N/S or O/S on RHD 200?)?
What was it intended to let go through?
Is it doable (from the cabin)?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers!

Dorchester
Club Member

#6 Post by Dorchester » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Here we are. At last I've got the last bit of the cable from USB to USB OTG.
And I've found a direct way to link the engine bay & the cabin. But that small grommet inside is very deceiving because once taken off there's no actual hole behind and I was going nowhere.
Then I've taken off the larger grommet in the engine bay, close (approx. 4 inches / 10 centimeters far) to the big bunch of cables protected by a sheath and going to the ECU. I've sent a wire to test the hole and surprise it arrived on the other side stuck to the big bunch of wires, hence 2 holes in the bay and only one in the cabin!
The wire once correctly maintained I've connected the phone with the ECU. but the app Rover Mems despite a friendly chat with its creator looks a pita job to connect. It works sometimes only but mainly it doesn't find out the connection and moreover the design of the app is rather on the rustic side.
However there's another app Mems Diag (Lite) which connects at once and whose ergonomics looks rather better. Only downside: sometimes the app looks crashing & disappear, but may be connected again at once.
Late news: I've got the full one for less than 10 €. Not to drain my kitty! And very comprehensive it looks.
BTW Torque Pro does accept OBD2 plugs only.
I'll keep you posted because I'm still waiting for some small magnets to keep the phone in place.
Some pics later.