Strange devices (for me at least...)

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Dorchester
Club Member

Re: Strange devices (for me at least...)

#16 Post by Dorchester » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 am

Roverlike wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:45 am
At present pscan in my case have use only with my R3. I still have no use of it for my R600. However in your case usage could be much, much greater, since pscan have R25, cabrio and R75. Pscan can talk to many ecus from your cars, look on the list. However, it is your choice, I am just telling what is available on market.
Maybe in your case start with free software and see if you have need to go on.
I agree and understand that. But the main question remains: for what use but for my cabby?
The 75 V6 IMHO is electronically highly sophisticated (even the 25 far more than the cabby) and I don't want to become a wizard apprentice, doing mistakes I couldn't be able to cure back. All is still working fine - at the moment (!) - in the 75 & the 25 and as used to say my lovely granny Davis - blessed be her soul - it's better to let well alone... :wink I fully rely upon her wise advice for she managed to live up to 102! :D
Rover 214i cabriolet v16 1994 BRG & lightstone leather
Rover 25 1.4 Saws Tuning remapped 2002 platinum silver
Rover 75 V6 2.5 1999 Atlantic blue & sandstone beige leather

crepello
Club Member

#17 Post by crepello » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:41 am

Dorchester wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:33 am
Moreover all my laptops are working under Linux Ubuntu and it's unlikely that any software was written for anything but MS Windows or maybe Apple.
Don't let that stop you! Go here: https://www.winehq.org
I use the Mac version to run the MEMSGauge Windows executable.

Dorchester
Club Member

#18 Post by Dorchester » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:10 pm

crepello wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:41 am
Dorchester wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:33 am
Moreover all my laptops are working under Linux Ubuntu and it's unlikely that any software was written for anything but MS Windows or maybe Apple.
Don't let that stop you! Go here: https://www.winehq.org
I use the Mac version to run the MEMSGauge Windows executable.
Thank you but I've experienced in the past several softwares that don't want to work with Wine.
My aim is only to monitor dynamically some ECU data display in the cabby to get some statistics on the fly and to prevent some dreadful problem like overheating for example. Not at all to hold on a static control of every electronic feature in any of my Rovers at standstill or at least idling. It's out of my comfort zone and at the moment looks too risky.
Moreover pscan for example looks highly protected. Not that I intend to trespass any legal rule, one laptop installation is enough for my own use, but I don't want anybody keeping control of my computer, even I know that lots of browsers are nevertheless spying over my data for example to send me adverts and even sell some of my details.
But since more than 15 years now I'm used to feel comfortable with every Linux open software, with their code available & modifiable by anybody. Hence my reluctance to go back in time and be reined again by a proprietary soft, even with Wine.
But if I dislike using wine in my computer I'm willing to indulge in pouring some good one in my glass! :laughing

pscan.eu

#19 Post by pscan.eu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:50 pm

I haven't been on here for ages but I just found this topic.

I need to put the record straight on controlling, spying, or whatever else you might think that pscan might be doing.

Firstly the "registration" process makes a fingerprint of your computer hardware and stores it in the pscan interface itself ( the details are here https://pscan.uk/install/license.html ). It doesn't collect any personal information. It doesn't know anything about the software that you run or your identity. It doesn't even connect to the internet when it does this. It never leaves the folder that pscan is installed into. The reasoning for this is simple, it's simply to create a link between your laptop hardware and the interface. The reasoning is that I don't see why I should sell one unit and then provide tech support to dozens or even hundreds of people all sharing the same interface. Putting a fingerprint (it's actually a hash of it) in the interface and comparing it when the program is run was all that was necessary to achieve the objective. This scheme has worked extremely well; very few customers have had problems and the few that had I was always able to sort out.

When you run pscan it also connects to the internet to check whether an update is available or not. If there is no internet connection then it just carries on anyway (so it will work in the middle of a field).

The software may also connect to the internet if a firmware update fails, this is to aid the recovery process. Basically it check that you are running the latest version of pscan before overwriting a corrupted firmware. It just seemed like a good safety check to do if something goes wrong.

If you are worried about spying, tracking etc then I would recommend the Linux version. You can run the software with no internet connection whatsoever, and when you are done you can quit the program you can use ps -aux to see that the process has completely and utterly gone before you switch your internet back on. It does not need root access even to install, you just drop it in a folder as a local user. If you are good at messing with unix permissions you could give pscan access to that folder and only that folder if you want and it will be fine ( I think, I actually never tried it ).

You can even run pscan on a Raspbary Pi if you like. You could easily have an SD card with Raspbian and pscan on it and nothing else. You could log into the Pi with an X server on a tablet or whatever.

pscan puts nothing in your startup process, folders or whatever. It doesn't create any kind of daemon. It puts nothing in your profile. It creates no hidden files. It puts no files anywhere except the folder it's installed into. It doesn't touch the Windows registry. Before you run it it doesn't exist as a process. When you quit it's totally gone.

I am not part of any larger corporation. I am not interested in your personal data. I don't use cookies on the website. I just try to make the best diagnostic tool that I can for MG Rover cars with the resources that I have. I think I did a pretty good job :cool I really don't have time to do anything else including spying on anyone. I prefer that the product speaks for itself.

I hope that this doesn't come over as hostile or anything, I offer this information in a spirit of transparency.

Any questions please ask.

itcaptainslow
Club Member

#20 Post by itcaptainslow » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:19 pm

I’ve got Pscan and it’s a great bit of kit!

Whilst you’re here-is it possible to run it on an iPad?
Rover 214SEI
Rover 75 Connoisseur (launch car)
Lotus Elise S

pscan.eu

#21 Post by pscan.eu » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Sorry but the iPad and iPhone are hugely difficult to program on in a portable way. Basically Apple have their own way of doing things and I would have to completely rewrite pscan from the ground up.
Also I would need to invest in an iPad (I don't have one) and iPhone (I don't have one) a Mac (I have a Macbook pro 8,3 but it won't upgrade beyond Hi Sierra) and I would have to pay for an annual developer license.

It just isn't worth it.

The only way you can do it is to run the Raspberry Pi version and export the screen to the iPad using an X Client. That actually works quite well.

I just need to clarify the previous point about transparency.

On the Linux version pscan needs read/write access to the folder into which it is installed (so that it can update itself) and it also needs read access to the /sys file system, which is what /sys is for, so that userspace applications can read things about that environment that they are running in.

In Windows pscan needs read/write access to the folder into which it is installed and access to Win32 Helper APIs.

itcaptainslow
Club Member

#22 Post by itcaptainslow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Fair answer! It runs well on my MacBook anyway :)
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S

RoverRevival
Club Member

#23 Post by RoverRevival » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Having used pscan on a daily basis since buying it the only real flaw I’ve found is when looking at live data with the ignition on, to turning the key to start it looses connection and forces you to reset your live data by which time the car has been running for 15-20 seconds and you might have missed the part where the fault happens (happened on a Zs for me).
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
& C3

itcaptainslow
Club Member

#24 Post by itcaptainslow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Is there any scope for being able to activate/deactivate functions in the Pektron or 75 body control ECU’s at all?
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S

RoverRevival
Club Member

#25 Post by RoverRevival » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am

itcaptainslow wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 pm
Is there any scope for being able to activate/deactivate functions in the Pektron or 75 body control ECU’s at all?
Ive not had to try on a 75 yet but will have a go when i have one available.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
& C3

itcaptainslow
Club Member

#26 Post by itcaptainslow » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:43 pm

RoverRevival wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am
itcaptainslow wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 pm
Ive not had to try on a 75 yet but will have a go when i have one available.
As far as I’m aware from when I looked with my 75 there isn’t any of this functionality-I was hoping the chap behind Pscan could answer (my original post was a bit ambiguous, sorry! :) )
Rover 214SEI
Lotus Elise S

Dorchester
Club Member

#27 Post by Dorchester » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:19 pm

To go back to my first post, here are the data I'm able to get out of my ECU on my smartphone thanks to the white 3 pin plug attached to it.
Thanks to all those nice buddies who helped me. :clapping
In fact the app records data along the trip in a *.csv file I've just to read on my computer & spreadsheet program (LibreOffice Calc for Linux here). You can magnify the pic of course.

And mind I've taken off several columns I'm not able to understand or interpret. :o
The consumption may look expensive but it's only instant one. You can see that the engine was nearly in full load. On the contrary at other moments the consumption may look paltry. The actual consumption is around 8.2 L / 100 km with full E85. That's why the inlet temperature shows -28° because it's fooled by the resistor so as to deliver more ethanol, which is mandatory. At standstill ignition advance shows 4° (modified thanks to the app) and throttle around 0.80V.
In short terms it shows that everything is fine. And in case I've got a doubt (on the coolant temperature for example) a quick peep is possible on the smartphone screen indeed where data are presented differently, more clearly & in bigger size. Handy isn't it in a 27 year old car? Just not to be surprised by unexpected failures. It's always better to anticipate problems... :wink3

pscan.eu

#28 Post by pscan.eu » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Sorry I didn't notice the replies. I need to figure out why I'm not getting an email notification when people reply.

I just did a lot of work on the logging live data to the tsv file. If you use that then you probably want to be on the latest version.

More details are here https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/pscan-u ... -to-a-file

Dorchester
Club Member

#29 Post by Dorchester » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Sorry @pscan.eu I'm not at all using your Pscan but MEMS Diag instead:
http://memsdiag.blogspot.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/det ... ull&hl=en

pscan.eu

#30 Post by pscan.eu » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 pm

I wasn't paying enough attention there was I.