Rover Car Key - Lost

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

JEASPEKE
Club Member

Rover Car Key - Lost

#1 Post by JEASPEKE » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi, managed to lose my the key for the Rover.
Does anyone know where I can order a new one using VIN?

JA.

JEASPEKE
Club Member

Re: Rover Car Key - Lost

#2 Post by JEASPEKE » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 pm

P.S. just a key, no fob required
John

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 pm

JEASPEKE wrote:Hi, managed to lose my the key for the Rover.
Does anyone know where I can order a new one using VIN?

JA.
You can still get these cut at Rover dealers if they have a Curtis machine and you have your key number. The key blanks are very cheap but don't articulate at the plastic head like the original rover ones do. Curtis part code RV3P (blanks on Ebay) or RV3 (without the plastic moulding).

Summit garage Himley have loads of Curtis key blanks which they sell off for about a pound each. I don't think they have the cutting machine anymore though. You need a Curtis machine if all you have is your original key number - this is normally on the security card that came with the car. Not sure if a dealer can look up your key number from a VIN... they might be able to.

If you can't get the key number, I assume you could just buy a key blank and have a high-street shop like Timpsons copy your remaining key onto it, if you have another key...

If you have no keys left and just a VIN, you might have to go through an ex Rover dealer anyway. They might be able to get you a lock set for the original key number but this will be expensive and you'll only be buying it for the keys not the locks. Still needs them to be able to find your key/lock number from your VIN and I'm not sure about this. If they can't do it, you could just order a complete lock set and go round the car replacing everything, but that's a bit :o
Last edited by Johnny 216GSi on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#4 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:06 pm

John if you have the key number my local friendly dealer will cut you another for a reasonable price, it will come with a hinged head too.

If you have the spare any key cutter will be able to cut another, at least they can in Keynsham last time I asked.

A E Willcox 01454 294213

[ I'm terrible at losing keys too, so now I keep them all in a old glasses case]
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

JEASPEKE
Club Member

Re: Rover Car Key - Spare Found

#5 Post by JEASPEKE » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Good news my wife has found the spare key for my Rover - it was thrown in a drawer 25 years ago!
The original Rover key is still missing, the one we have found is a spare on a Curtis blade code RV-3P

I am having two spare cut....

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone.

:D :D :D

John A.