Rover 218 TD not cranking no start

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Nate97

Rover 218 TD not cranking no start

#1 Post by Nate97 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Hello folks
I have recently bought a m reg rover 218 td the car drove home (very nicely i must say) but did have a fault with stopping the engine after i removed the key it would continue to run. Checking the fuel stop solenoid found it was inoperable removing it from the pump and earthing it to the engine hook near by saw the solenoid working as it should however after refitting in to the pump the car will not turn over or attempt to start the glow plug light will not come on in the car and turning the key to start will do nothing. have checked all the fuses and relays and replaced the glow plug relay suspecting it to be at fault to no avail. The starter motor will not crank having checked the relay is getting power and working and there is continuity between the 2 ends of the signal wire (the spade on the motor and the pin on the relay) The glow plug relay just above it in the fuse box is getting power to its permanent live but no power to the signal feed which activates the relay. The blue glow-plug relay box bolted near the left wing is getting power through the larger brown wire and there is continuity between this wire and the wires that run from the box to various components the fuel stop solenoid being one of them the brown/green wire running to the glow plugs is getting no power regardless of if you cycle the ignition. i can also get no power out of any of the four wires in the four pin plug that plugs in to the glow plug relay. Is this a issue anyone has come across before ? Also can i get wiring diagrams anywhere for the vehicle as it has now got me scratching my head a bit. Many thanks in advance and sorry about the long post.

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

Re: Rover 218 TD not cranking no start

#2 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Are all of the other electrical items on the car still working normally? (Battery + oil warning lamps, gauges, brake lights,
indicators, etc)

I am just wondering if you have a fault with the ignition switch?

I have got the factory electrical fault finding manual, but would not be able to get it out and have a look until Sunday evening............a few other members on here also have one, so somebody else may be able to help before then.
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 19 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Daily: ZR Trophy TD

Previously: 216 Sprint (1988-91)216 Coupe(1993-95) 214SLi(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Julesmat50
Club Member

#3 Post by Julesmat50 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 am

Daft question, but are you sure the immobiliser is turned off? This is one of the ways, the alarm system prevents the diesels from being stolen - no power to either the glow plugs or the starter. If the little red light in the dashboard that blinks when the alarm is set, is on solidly, then the immobiliser is active and you will never start the engine on the key. If the immobiliser/alarm is de-activated by the fob or key, then the light will be out. Other than that, it is unusual for the fuel shut off relay to not be working, but it is wired into the ignition switch as it has to both, open to allow fuel into the engine to start and close, to shut the engine off on demand. A faulty fuel shut-off, might be interfering with the ignition circuit, but having never had an issue with either of mine, I can't say for definite.
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

Nate97

#4 Post by Nate97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:57 am

220 gsi
Thank you for the reply
Haven't checked the brake lights but rest of the lights at the front work fine (found out when trying to work out what relays do what) I thought the same as yourself and stripped the cowling around the ignition switch to test for power at the back of the switch on lights all but one have power then with the key fully turned it has power so I assume it's the starter signal wire. I followed the wires under the dash and tested for power at the plug next to the fuse box all had power there.
Regards Nathan

Nate97

#5 Post by Nate97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 am

Juelsmat 50
Thank you for your reply

This was my initial thought as well I got in contact with a gentleman who programs new fobs and updates the rover immobilizers (I'm afraid his name escapes me) to get some fobs programmed thinking that would fix it. He then informed me that the age of my rover ment it had not been fitted with a immobilizer. There is no immobilizer unit above the accelerator pedal and he said if there is a black dome next to the light in the roof it ment it was not fitted with a immobilizer my car has this black dome. Sorry I forgot to mention this it's been a few weeks now trying to fix it and I've forgotten some of the stuff I've checked till you guys remind me.

Regards Nathan

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#6 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:22 pm

Some updates for you, Nathan, after checking one of my manuals.
This manual covers cars from late 1992 to mid 1994 (VIN 605482 to approx. 780000)

There is still a possibility that your car may have an immobiliser fitted, but not the Lucas 5AS that most of us are familiar with, which was fitted from early 1994. The black dome on the interior lamp is where the receiver from the infra-red remote fob is located. Unfortunately, my manual does not explain where the actual alarm control unit is located; perhaps somebody else could help with that??
If so, the starter and glow plug circuits both rely on a signal from the immobiliser.

The glow plug control unit has a permanent 12V supply on a heavy brown wire.
Regardless of whether an immobiliser is fitted or not, when you turn the ignition on (position II), a 12v supply triggers the main relay D (engine bay fusebox) and the fuel cutoff solenoid via fuse 14 (interior fusebox) on a green/pink wire. Main relay D (taking its main power supply on a brown/pink wire from a 40A fusible link in the engine bay fusebox) then triggers the glow plug control unit via a brown/blue wire to switch the glow plugs on and light the lamp on the dashboard.
The same brown/pink wire also feeds the starter relay which then feeds the starter motor on a brown/red wire. The starter relay is triggered by a white/red wire from the ignition switch position III, via fuse 19 (interior fusebox).

Can you hear any relays clicking when you turn the ignition and/or starter? If you can, I would suspect that there is no supply available to the relays from the brown/pink wire.
If you cannot, then check the earths to the relays and/or the immobiliser circuitry if there is one fitted.

If you would like me to scan and email you the relevant pages from the manual, please send me a PM with your email address and car VIN number.
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 19 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Daily: ZR Trophy TD

Previously: 216 Sprint (1988-91)216 Coupe(1993-95) 214SLi(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:56 am

I know on the infra-red system , pretty much all the electronics are in the overhead light unit. It only has a 3 (or 4) pin connector on it, and two of those pins are power and ground which also supplies the interior light bulb. It's pretty much a 1-wire "unlock" signal that's provided on the extra pin. The fobs and IR system are made by Valeo. I'm wondering if this is identical to the "unlock" signal at the driver's door lock, and in fact it is the basic alarm/immobiliser unit found on the back of the centre console (on cars without fobs but with standard Rover alarm (i.e. around the 1992/1993 era) - with an extra feed from the overhead IR receiver. All of the Valeo system looks to be "single wire output" type stuff - even the optional ultrasonic movement detectors fitted over the door pillar trim have a single wire "I've detected movement" output. It stands a good chance of being a "graft onto" the existing alarm as an intermediate step by Rover, rather than a completely different set of electronics. Essentially, there weren't 3 different alarm/immobiliser systems in use - just 2. Early phase 1 cars got nothing, late phase 1 cars got the standard Rover alarm/immobiliser with optional IR key fob system grafted on (either purchased as an option, or fitted as standard on high-spec. early models), and phase 2 cars got the integrated radio key fobs and alarm/immobiliser system.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image