Internal upholstery panels

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

tgalderman

Internal upholstery panels

#1 Post by tgalderman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi. My 200 was left in the sun for a long period.
The cloth panels on each door has shed their cloth.
I could re glue them if I could remove the panels, stretch the material over and glue.
Do the panels pop off the doors. Or do I need to take off each door card to release the panel.cheers Tim.😁

Cromp85
Club Member

Re: Internal upholstery panels

#2 Post by Cromp85 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 pm

You are better of removing the door cards for access.
Both of my 200s had the insert held by metal tabs. you can only bend them back from the inside.
My Rovers to date:
1994 Rover 220GSI in Tahiti blue (On the road)
2002 MG ZR 105 in Solar red (On loan)
1995 214i (On SORN)

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am

tgalderman wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Hi. My 200 was left in the sun for a long period.
The cloth panels on each door has shed their cloth.
I could re glue them if I could remove the panels, stretch the material over and glue.
Do the panels pop off the doors. Or do I need to take off each door card to release the panel.cheers Tim.😁
Later cars had metal tabs formed as part of the cloth panel carrier plate as Cromp says, so you just bend the tabs and the panel comes off. Earlier cars had white nylon plastic rivets that were melted into place. You can chisel these off on the back so they snap and the cloth panel comes off. To replace these fixings, I've used flange-head M5 nylon bolts before now - I fit them to the panel with the cloth off, with a tiny spot of glue under the heads and put the nuts on the back. I file down the heads so when the cloth is put back on, you can't see bumps in the material. When the glue is dry, take the nuts off and refit the panel to the door using the nuts.

Note that the panels have a huge amount of glue / gunk on them under the material - it can all get very messy. I'd suggest a bottle of de-greasing/glue removing fluid is on hand - white spirit, isopropanol, acetone, etc.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

alviseven
Club Member

#4 Post by alviseven » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:21 pm

I have done this too.
The foam degrades and the material comes loose around the edges.
Mine had nylon units holding the panel in which you can easily pop out.
I replaced the foam and hoovered the old material thoroughly. Reassembled with fir tree fixers in the holes as the old nylon fixtures were too short to do anything. I used quite short ones and they were fat enough to self hold in the metal back ground before the foam was put on. Use high temp spray glue - car interior type - see ebay
Initially the fir trees were great but did come loose with banging of the doors.
First fix was to try a small washer over the fir tree to lock it to the metal but ....
Final fix was to do as Rover did - melt the trees from the back into a nice little mess. I did this with a blow torch over them carefully - heat just the plastic not the material and foam! Press the melted fir tree into a blob over the area.
I used a thick penny washer to protect the material and a small washer inside this pushed over the fir tree. The large penny could be lifted off after a blow torch and squash. Can supply photos if you want but do not know how to post them here sorry. Ping me an email and I can send. This work was done in july 2016 and not had any issue since.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

ROVER-25X

#5 Post by ROVER-25X » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Yeah as mentioned above they are easy enough to do, just time consuming, door cards come off easy enough,
the trims are held on by thin metal shims, I discovered this while cleaning up my new interior panels.
The 25X (2001 ROVER 25 1.4 Impression S, fate TBD)
The CX8 (1997 ROVER Cabriolet 1.6 K-Series, Resto Project)
The 25XD (2004 ROVER 25 2.0TD, Track Car ?)
The Parts Bin (2001 ROVER 25 1.6 S)
The ASTRA-DX (2012 VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7CDTi, Daily Eco Driver)