Door vents - never seem to blow anything

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

alviseven
Club Member

Door vents - never seem to blow anything

#1 Post by alviseven » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Am I missing something? My R8 saloon 5 door vents (thin slit ones on the opening front doors by wind down window) on both cars seem to never (and never have) blown air. Even on number four fan. Got frustrated with it today and tried every combination of the controls I could and never got a response. Not checked to see if the side vent blows are out the side of the dash when the doors are open as I was driving along and testing this would have been inadvisable! Never seemed to the get the adjustable NS vent to blow anything but cold air either.
Have missed a control - is this a common habit - is there any advice out there?
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

crepello
Club Member

Re: Door vents - never seem to blow anything

#2 Post by crepello » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 pm

They are part of the demister ducting, so only work when the output knob is set to demist.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

Re: Door vents - never seem to blow anything

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm

crepello wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 pm
They are part of the demister ducting, so only work when the output knob is set to demist.
…when the windscreen symbol is selected as the target for the air...

I didn't actually know this. I nearly always have the heater set to windscreen anyway as I find the heating effect gentler rather than having it blasting into your face or even onto your feet. I did actually feel today (completely by accident / curiosity) how fierce the hot air is coming out of those side vents on maximum heat and fan speed. It's quite hot!
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image