Cheeky alarm!

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

Dorchester
Club Member

Cheeky alarm!

#1 Post by Dorchester » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm

As you may be aware of, I've recently swapped batteries.
Result: all radio stations frequencies lost.

But surprisingly the fobs seem to work fine (i.e. no immobilizer) because I took the cabby for a short journey & treated my best half with a lovely meal in a typical French inn.
Only downside: when arriving, the cabby didn't want to lock with either of both fob. I'd to lock it with the key.
I was decided to clear out the problem in the afternoon.

When I took back the cabby no progress on the fob side, but worse: when I put the key to fire up, the alarm (aka immobilizer) red light popped out!
As I've learn what to do since I've bought the car (the seller used to take off the battery negative when stuck in the garage, which was nearly the rule during nearly 2 years), I push on the first fob lock button 4 (or 5?) times and bingo the door was shut. I did the same with the second fob & that easy problem was solved.

But what I don't understand is why the alarm waited 5 long days after the fitting of the new battery before reacting?! :S :blink
Rover 214i cabriolet v16 1994 BRG & lightstone leather
Rover 25 1.4 Saws Tuning remapped 2002 platinum silver
Rover 75 V6 2.5 1999 Atlantic blue & sandstone beige leather

1234dist
Club Member

Re: Cheeky alarm!

#2 Post by 1234dist » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Dorchester wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm

But what I don't understand is why the alarm waited 5 long days after the fitting of the new battery before reacting?! :S :blink
Welcome to classic car ownership
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Cromp85
Club Member

#3 Post by Cromp85 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 pm

The 5AS system is pretty solid but the best way i have found for trouble free battery removal is this:

Loosen but dont remove the battery negative terminal.
Lock, then unlock using the fob. after a couple of seconds pull off the negative terminal.

When you come to fit the battery make sure the doors are all unlocked before reconnecting the terminals.
After you have refitted the battery press the lock button a few times until it locks. Press the unlock button, the car will unlock and it should all work as normal.

This is the Rover fob resinc procedure, but with added steps to make sure the 5AS does not get confused.
The method is tried and tested on my MG ZR, 214 and 220GSI So far it always works even when the car has been sitting for seveal years, Just make sure the fob has a good battery fitted :)
My Rovers to date:
1994 Rover 220GSI in Tahiti blue (On the road)
2002 MG ZR 105 in Solar red (On loan)
1995 214i (On SORN)

Dorchester
Club Member

#4 Post by Dorchester » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Cromp85 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 pm
The 5AS system is pretty solid but the best way i have found for trouble free battery removal is this:

Loosen but dont remove the battery negative terminal.
Lock, then unlock using the fob. after a couple of seconds pull off the negative terminal.

When you come to fit the battery make sure the doors are all unlocked before reconnecting the terminals.
After you have refitted the battery press the lock button a few times until it locks. Press the unlock button, the car will unlock and it should all work as normal.

This is the Rover fob resinc procedure, but with added steps to make sure the 5AS does not get confused.
The method is tried and tested on my MG ZR, 214 and 220GSI So far it always works even when the car has been sitting for seveal years, Just make sure the fob has a good battery fitted :)
Thank you @Cromp85.
To say it short, I understand that you did the resync procedure (given in the owner's book) - if I may say - preventively.
I did the same 5 days after!
But I don't see the efficiency of your first procedure: IMHO that doesn't change anything and the main resync procedure will have to be done afterwards in any case.
May I be a simpleton? :laughing2

I agree with you @1234dist: classic cars are known to be somehow teasing... :laughing

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#5 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Dorchester wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm
I don't know either, but basically the 5as system rolls the code on after a battery disconnect, so after reconnecting unlock the drivers door with the key, then press the lock button 4 times. The central locking should then operate. What's actually happened is that by pressing the keyfob button 4 times, you've rolled the keyfob code forward so it matches where the car is expecting the next code (in its pseudo-random sequence) given it has moved itself on a few codes automatically when the battery was reconnected.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Dorchester
Club Member

#6 Post by Dorchester » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Thank you for the technical explanations.
Nevertheless I hope that I'll not have to disconnect the battery so soon. Fingers crossed! :D

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Dorchester wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 pm
Thank you for the technical explanations.
Nevertheless I hope that I'll not have to disconnect the battery so soon. Fingers crossed! :D
I do it all the time when the car is stored. The reconnect plus 4 lock-button pushes has worked every time so far - and on two fobs as well. Don't panic!

Image Image

Dorchester
Club Member

#8 Post by Dorchester » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Johnny 216GSi wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 pm
I do it all the time when the car is stored. The reconnect plus 4 lock-button pushes has worked every time so far - and on two fobs as well. Don't panic!
Never, I'm very easy-going! :D
But I don't want to be bored each time looking for radio frequencies...
I try to drive each of both my cab & V6 at least once a month and if possible once a fortnight during the bad season... provided it doesn't rain! :wink
Anyway I'm using all year long my good Noko Genius charger in every Rover in turn to avoid any firing up problem & keep every battery safe as long as possible.
The last one - an AGM Banner on my better half's daily (25 1.4) - lasted 3 years & nearly 6 months. Not too bad even not the best performance in the world, but the car is doing lots of short or very short journeys.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#9 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Dorchester wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:51 pm
The last one - an AGM Banner on my better half's daily (25 1.4) - lasted 3 years & nearly 6 months. Not too bad even not the best performance in the world, but the car is doing lots of short or very short journeys.
I purchased a Varta C6 for my car, which is the right one for the British (I think) battery type number of 063 - the same type of battery that came with the car. The Varta C6 is from their "Silver" range - they have silver plated electrodes that provide higher current especially in stop/start applications. Some advice exists to say that you sometimes don't get a proper charging effect when you use silvered-electrode batteries in older cars, but I've had absolutely no problems and I'd say 4-5 years use so far. The specification on the C6 is the best you can get - it even beats the Yuasa 5000 series batteries. Varta are a German make - they make the Bosch range of batteries and Bosch just rebrands them. The C6 is equivalent to the "S5" top of the range battery from Bosch, but if you buy Bosch you'll pay 50% more for the same battery.

Some people say you should just buy from a store where you can take the battery back under warranty and get a new one if it fails. Halfords in the UK offer this sort of service, so you buy their own-brand good quality battery and as it says it will last 5 years, then if it doesn't you just take it back and get a brand new one. I don't think they extend the guarantee for another 5 years! But you might be looking at as much as 10 years of battery life for the price of one purchase and one free replacement!

Image Image

Dorchester
Club Member

Cheeky alarm!

#10 Post by Dorchester » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:43 am

Great minds think alike Jonathan! :laughing2
I've just bought 2 VARTA Silver Dynamic C6 52Ah 520A, one for my missus' daily (the 25 1.4) and one for the cabby!
But no Halford's here I'm afraid hence no 5+ years guarantee...
Nevertheless I was told that both batteries bought from Amazon were guaranteed 5 years as well: wait & see... :wink