Rover r8 200/400 rear upright catch

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

MGZRreplica
Club Member

Rover r8 200/400 rear upright catch

#1 Post by MGZRreplica » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Just wondering I’ve just fitted some
new used seats to 1992 -216sli.

The up right seat Is now higher and the
catch doesn’t lock on to the upright
seat tight.
There is a bigger gap by the parcel shelf.

The seats are lifted higher so the
seat belt buckles don’t click in to the
holders.

So I’ve just measured the ‘u bend’ metal that holds the upright rear seat back,
and it is 55mm from tip to toe.

Has anybody got the later models and
could you measure the ‘u bend holder’
please?.
Thanks for your time.

I wonder if they changed the length
in the later models or changed the
upright seat catch instead.
Put a picture on gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... source=sms
Grey 220 coupe
BRG 216 SLi
Silver 1.8vvc coupe-Sold
BRG 1.8 diesel-Sold
Silver 25GTi-Sold
BRG 200vi-Sold
Silver 200vi-Sold
K-reg White 216GSi-Sold- Started the ❤️
A-Reg Blue 1litre Metro - Scrapped💔

Cromp85

Re: Rover r8 200/400 rear upright catch

#2 Post by Cromp85 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:30 pm

I did a check on part numbers, its listed as Striker - Rear seat squab P/N - HWK10023PMP
Going by the Allbrit EPC its the same one for all R8 hatchback models.
I used to have a problem with the seat not latching on mine (1994 3dr GSI) and this did cause a gap at the top.
I used WD40 a few times on the catch, now it locks properly and sits flush again.
My Rovers to date:
1994 Rover 220GSI in Tahiti blue (On the road)
2002 MG ZR 105 in Solar red (On loan)
1995 214i (On SORN)

crepello
Club Member

#3 Post by crepello » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Did the seat back base hinges engage fully in their slotted seatings?

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:36 pm

My rear seats have been somewhat reupholstered (professionally) and there's more scrim foam under the material than there was before. I now find it quite difficult to get the rear seats to latch on a 93 216GSi (phase 1.5 model - long indicators, duo-tone but no chrome grille). The phase 1.5/2 seats even from an SLi are the velour fabric only ever available on the GSi in earlier years - it is much thicker than the smooth material fitted to earlier Si and SLi cars up to the end of 1992.

I'd advise a quick check to see if this might be the cause - then a decent heavy grease all over the striker and what you can get on/in the lock mechanism on the new rear squab, and see if there's any way of exercising the lock on the squab to work the grease in. You might be able to do a few "latch attempt" just by folding the seet back - this will at least get the lock mechanism activating (turning) and it will work in the grease. Then a couple of very good slams (with the seat belts moved out of the way of course) might do it. It's the only way I got mine to engage. When they've been engaged for a while, the material bulk is permanently crushed and the problem reduces a bit... at least it did in my case.

I've just seen your pics - it's the SEi half-leather you've fitted, isn't it? Then I'd say it's the material - half leather with scrim foam underneath will be thicker than the original seat material. And also be aware, the SEi seats ARE different to the normal ones - just look at the fronts! They're a different foam profile I believe. Partly due to the half leather - the seat foam (cushion and squab) is also different for the full leather option, to match the material pattern and bulk out the covers where they need it. That would explain the gap to the parcel shelf - it's the foam profile that's changed, not the seat mechanics/overall design - all the physical metalwork datums should be the same. That SEi material is very high quality high rub-resistance stuff and it is stretched very tightly over the cushions.

Other people have fitted SEi interiors to non SEi cars though, so there shouldn't actually be a problem. Wonder if the SEi strikers (or just all "leather interior strikers" were "special" ?? You might also need to source the SEi belt ends too then, or make a very strong 2-hole lengthener plate from steel - one end has a hole to bolt into the body and the other has a hole into which you can screw the belt end metal work, with the right kind of 8.8 or 10.9 nuts and bolts of course. Safety critical mod... and I'm not sure if that would pass an MOT...
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

MGZRreplica
Club Member

#5 Post by MGZRreplica » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks for the reply’s.
Wd-40 latches.
Loosened 4 hinge bolts, there’s not much
play and re-tightened bolts.
Wd-40 latches again tomorrow.
See how it goes.
Thanks again.
Grey 220 coupe
BRG 216 SLi
Silver 1.8vvc coupe-Sold
BRG 1.8 diesel-Sold
Silver 25GTi-Sold
BRG 200vi-Sold
Silver 200vi-Sold
K-reg White 216GSi-Sold- Started the ❤️
A-Reg Blue 1litre Metro - Scrapped💔

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#6 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:10 pm

MGZRreplica wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:59 pm
Thanks for the reply’s.
Wd-40 latches.
Loosened 4 hinge bolts, there’s not much
play and re-tightened bolts.
Wd-40 latches again tomorrow.
See how it goes.
Thanks again.
I have a phase 2 car - but it's not an SEi. I can measure the striker bar tomorrow...

Also think about a plate or large washers behind the striker bars so you're spacing them forward a bit, if you think it's these.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image