Steering / ignition lock prblem

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

jheath17

Steering / ignition lock prblem

#1 Post by jheath17 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

My 216 GSi wedge has alway had a sticky ignition key lock since I bought the car a year ago. I have to widdle the key around to make it turn. Today I went to ALDI to get grocerys, one of their special offers was silicone spray, great I thought just what I want, disaster, I sprayed in down the ignition barrel, now I can't get the key to turn at all.

I remember years ago my wife bought a new Allegro it had the same problem, my answer was to break off the steering lock mechanism, if I do that is it a MOT failure?

Anyway it looks a problem, so tomorrow I have got to drop the steering column and center punch the shere bolts out.

Any advice welcome,

PS my sons just phoned, he says I am a tossa, silicone sticks things together duh

2rovers

Re: Steering / ignition lock prblem

#2 Post by 2rovers » Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Have the teeth on the key worn down excessively ? Worn keys will be difficult to use after a while.
I'm not 100% on this , but if you can remove the electrical switchgear from the end of the barrel and be able to start the car then all shall be fine.
My brother has a BMW , which has suffered from barrel roll, ( where they key just keeps spinning ) and so he is only able to start the car using the electrical switch that sits in the end of the barrel and his sailed through the mot no problem.

If your not sure still, it's worth checking out with mot garages but I doubt very much it will affect the mot at all.

Apart from the ignition looking like its just been stolen I don't see any issues.
(M) Rover 420 sli saloon British racing green (show car) (walford.org)
51 v70 Volvo estate (200k and still ticking ) Daily driver & workhorse .
01 v70 Volvo estate (205k and is poorly )

jheath17

#3 Post by jheath17 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for your advice, I think my problems may be resolved. I came back to the car today in a break from the rain and filled the lock barrel with Rocket WD 40 and kept cycling the key and rocking the wheel at the same time, eventually there was a small click and the ignition came on.

The action of the ignition key is much improved, no more do I have to widdle the key around to switch on the ignition. I am not sure rocket WD 40 is the complete answer, maybe
fine machine oil is better.

I have put the silicone spay to good use spraying the window channels, the front windows go up and down faster and the rear are easier to crank.

Regards

john

2rovers

#4 Post by 2rovers » Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Well done, good news, nice to hear you've fixed it.

It maybe worth keeping an eye out for another barrel or key set just in case as a spare.
(M) Rover 420 sli saloon British racing green (show car) (walford.org)
51 v70 Volvo estate (200k and still ticking ) Daily driver & workhorse .
01 v70 Volvo estate (205k and is poorly )