Rover 216 sli- Intermittent starting fault

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

n-a-c

Rover 216 sli- Intermittent starting fault

#1 Post by n-a-c » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:53 am

Good Morning

My father in law has a n reg rover 216 sli auto. honda engine

Over the last few weeks it has developed a starting problem

Sometimes the engine will just turn over for ages

Other times he goes to the car it fires up first turn of the key.

It seems to have the starting issue first thing on a morning.

when the engine is running it never misses a beat

I was thinking it may be the cam position sensor? could it be this?

I need to take a plug out next time it fails to start and see if its sparking

Any suggestions

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: Rover 216 sli- Intermittent starting fault

#2 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am

:welcome

Almost certainly a failing fuel pump relay - a common problem.

There are two solutions:

- find and fit a replacement relay but these are getting to be like hen's teeth as so many cars need them.
Or
- wire in an alternative relay.

Search this forum for "fuel pump relay" for more info on the former and " common problems that will kill our cars" for the latter.

Let us know how you get on. :)
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

n-a-c

#3 Post by n-a-c » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:57 am

John.where is this relay located?

and does anyone have a picture of one. what colour is it etc?

so i can try and get one

help quickly please :D

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#4 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 pm

It's behind the centre console. You get at it from the passenger footwell.

There's a lot of info on this forum if you search - link at top of page.

n-a-c

#5 Post by n-a-c » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks.there is 3 relays behind there.seems to be 2 yellow ones and 1 big red 1.

Please confirm which one it is if you know.

Thanks for the help . appreciate it.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#6 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Big reddish-brown one :D

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:42 pm

COULD ALSO BE damp start issues - as it's the 1.6. This could be manifest as an early/cold morning start if it's misty/foggy/has been raining in the night.

To diagnose this, try spraying WD40 around everything electrical - particularly the distributor. If it starts faultlessly using this method, then it's a damp-start problem. More likely on a higher-mileage engine than a lower-mileage one - you don't mention the mileage in your fault description.

The fix for this is to replace the rotor arm, distributor cap and HT leads - the latter is good practise to do when replacing the former. If you take the distributor cap off, look at any potential arcing damage (blackening) of the points or the rotor arm itself caused by sparking. Also look for erosion of the rotor arm blade edge and/or a reddish-brown rust-like substance. Your rotor arm and points are pretty much shot if you see this.

The official Honda distributor cap is available from Rimmer for about £35 IIRC - mine came with a brand new Honda rotor arm too.

HT leads - Bosch B721 are a good 7mm silicone set and can be had for £15-£20 usually on Ebay.

If the car completely gives up the ghost and doesn't start at all, or the fuel relay and dizzy cap/rotor/HT lead replacement doesn't fix it - I'd suggest it could be the igniter module/spark amplifier. These are cheap to replace these days - less than £20 on Ebay.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

n-a-c

#8 Post by n-a-c » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 pm

thank you all for the advice.its much appreciated

gti john thats great as now i know what im looking for. I have managed to locate a fuel pump relay so i will change it when it arrives.

Johnny. I will spray all the leads etc and see if it improves although I dont think it is leads, rotor or distributor. It runs sweet as a nut when its running. surely if it was any of the above it would run eratic.

although, i may just replace them all. mileage on the car is 76k

i will update this week

:D

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#9 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Nope - it won't be consistent with poor running once the engine has started. And 76K is getting on for where there would be noticeable arcing damage on the points and rotor arm if they've never been changed before. It's a standard service item.

Mine just turned and turned on a morning - took ages to fire but eventually it would catch. Coincident with damp/rainy nights - so you could assess this and see if the starting issue relates to rainy/damp nights/mornings. Ran sweet as a nut once it had started. And then it started every time during the day. It was just the first-start that was a problem.

Initially, I chose to spray with WD40 - around dizzy and HT leads but then also the electrical connectors you see at the back of the engine bay. Lived with that for a few months.

Took the dizzy cap off - the evidence was as described. The extent of the damage was obvious - I'm surprised it ran as sweetly as it did once it had started. Then decided to replace the lot and the problem went away completely.

Just bear it in mind in case the fuel relay doesn't fix the problem. Damp start issues on high mileage 216s are well known - and even documented in the Haynes manual with the recommended course of action being replacement of the dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads. Personally, I've never suffered a fuel relay problem - just the dizzy / rotor / HT problem and on a separate occasion many, many years ago - the spark amplifier / igniter module, some of which were substandard on the earlier cars (but Rover fixed the problem).
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

n-a-c

#10 Post by n-a-c » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Johnny,

thanks again. I think i am going to get a rotor arm and distributor cap tomorrow. my father in law cant ever remember having them changed. might aswell change the possible culprits and give it a bit of a service

will update tomorrow

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#11 Post by GTiJohn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:33 am

All good advice that should help you fix the problem :)

cabriolet106
Club Member

#12 Post by cabriolet106 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:57 am

Another thing to check if the problem is still there is the Crank Position Sensor. If this is playing up the ECU will not be able to tell if the engine is turning. Hence the Non Starting of the engine.

n-a-c

#13 Post by n-a-c » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:30 am

cabriolet106. thanks i will bear this in mind.

where is this located on the honda engine should i need to change it

alviseven
Club Member

#14 Post by alviseven » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:24 pm

I have had a couple of fuel relays go on couple of cars and you can fix both quite easily. There is a thread on a forum somewhere mg-rover.org i think which covers it with pics etc and basically you prise the base out of the really - or the cover off - and resolder a couple of the connections which will have a dark ring around them effectively making a dry joint.
Personally never had starting issued with our 216 and one is 230K in regular use all year round. Only time was hot restart when the fuel pump relay is the give away fault fixed with the above fault.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

n-a-c

#15 Post by n-a-c » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Just a quick update guys. I replaced the rotor arm on my car and touch wood its been fine. Its been a few weeks now so Im assuming the fault is fixed as im sure it would have done it again as it was happening daily. thanks for the advice