Burning oil after head gasket replacement

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

alviseven
Club Member

Burning oil after head gasket replacement

#1 Post by alviseven » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Just finished 300 miles ago a head gasket on honda D16A7 manual engine in rover 1990 216GSi - was running really nicely and still is but last two days suddenly (I think)(or I have noticed) started to smoke and as the sump is three quarters empty of oil now am guessing that its burning oil.
Before HGF did not use a drop. Did not appear to use a drop post HGF but now clearly does and leaves a nice trail when foot down or after an idle.
HG was of course the head gasket but skimmed head and changed valve stem seals, new dowels and camshaft end seal and spark plug tube seals along with inlet manifold gasket.
I am guessing that a valve stem seal might have come adrift as opposed to sudden wear of the bores or valve stems. I know that the head skim could cause bore issues but the compressions are still fine.
Any one agree or had similar issues.
Anyone tried to push the stem seals down through the valve springs - really do not want to take off the head again and waste a payen gasket.
Water system not pressurised or oil contaminated and runs well but smokes mainly on the overrun or after an idle and then on take off.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

Re: Burning oil after head gasket replacement

#2 Post by GTiJohn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:31 am

Very similar problem just posted on another thread on this forum. Not got time to find it just now...

Use the search link above :wink3
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

E_T_V
Technical Advisor

#3 Post by E_T_V » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:24 pm

I'd do a compression test to rule out a broken piston ring. The Hondas do seem prone to smoke though at higher milages.

alviseven
Club Member

#4 Post by alviseven » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Done compression tests again and all read about 210/200 and reasonably even. These are similar to the twin which does not smoke and still does not smoke after similar HG work.
Car does not seem to smoke except when the oil level is low when it smokes especially after idling for while. The exhaust does not smell like its smoking or oily but does have a foul stench which is really bad when you rev the car a little from idle but does not belch the traditional blue grey oil smoke - looks almost black to me at times but hazy black. But once oil is low then its back to proper oil burning smoke.
Top the oil up to within 5mm of full and I cannot get the visual of smoke out the rear even when accelerating. Seems to be doing approx 350 to 400 miles from top to lower down on dipstick (about 3/4 to low mark)
Very frustrating.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

1234dist
Club Member

#5 Post by 1234dist » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:51 am

Id pull the head and start again, something obviously is very wrong with what ever was done previously.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

gbs100
Club Member

#6 Post by gbs100 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:26 pm

Could be a valve stem oil seal.