Frustrated - engine still playing up after loads of work

Having problems with your 200 or 400? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition

Moderator: Forum Staff

alviseven
Club Member

Frustrated - engine still playing up after loads of work

#1 Post by alviseven » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Honda D16 1990 GSi - Head blew in September which I skimmed and refitted - running very well but was then burning a lot of oil - like a sump full for 200 miles.
Decided that as I had renewed top end - HG inlet and exhaust seals etc that it must be rings of the 170K engine.
Stripped off the head and the pistons out of bores yesterday and replaced rings with new - bores fine (found about 8thou wear on one thrust side) - reassembled.
Started it up today. Rang lovely and smooth and sat ticking over warming up etc for well over 15mins. Decided to take it up the road for a brief road test but got to the end of the drive and it suddenly seemed to loose power. Reversed back to the door and it died. Not gone again today.
Water is fine, Oil is fine, Compressions were 12,9.5,9.5,12 when hot but then when colder settle to about 11 bar all over. But still not starting. Did over fuel and the ignited in the exhaust and blew my first box to pieces.
Very frustrating as it was going very nicely and I actually drove it from the garage to the house and now it refuses to even run.
Could be an igniter issue I guess but why so suddenly?
You views and any suggestions please as I am at wits end here.
Twin G reg Red 216GSi Rovers

celica1600gt
Club Member

Re: Frustrated - engine still playing up after loads of work

#2 Post by celica1600gt » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:32 pm

need to check spark at the plugs and the availability of fuel, I have problems in not getting my 1990 16 gsi to go ( my thread here gives insight where i have been with it) , you need to disconnect the fuel pipe at the filter and check you have fuel being pumped up. its on the back bulk head and i have no fuel being pumped up and i now need to drop the tank as the pump appear to have packed up. if you fuel then i would look at power from the ecu to the pump, which i have and to the injectors. if no fuel, check dry joint on the pump relay under the centre console, small brown relay . I would also put some petrol down the bores with some warm plugs( stick them in the oven or hold them on the gas flame , this will confirm whether it fuel up at the injectors. if you have no spark then its back to the distributor . Hope you find it,

alviseven
Club Member

#3 Post by alviseven » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:55 pm

this is why the car is frustrating - went out tonight after plans to work on it all day went pear shaped - turned the key to see what might happens and the car fires up lovely and sweet - noisy now due to the ruptured exhaust box but running no issues. So why yesterday - obviously I flooded it somehow hence the exhaust explosion but why??
Do not begin to understand but the car has just managed to reprieve itself from having its tax sent back at least until after Christmas!

alviseven
Club Member

#4 Post by alviseven » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Repaired exhaust and took for a series of short spins and all seemed ok. So took for a longer spin to Manchester and all has settled down nicely. Retimed the cambelt moving the camback one tooth which seems to account for the HG replacement and returns the D16 engine back to its usual self. No oil burnt in over 250 hard miles drive to Manchester return so looks good so far. One very lucky car as most of the time it would have been scrapyard bound by now!

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#5 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:48 pm

:clapping

We'll persevered!

Interesting reading for us D16 owners :D
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams