R3 UK only?

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.
montegoman
Membership Secretary

Re: R3 UK only?

#31 Post by montegoman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:07 pm

I am sure the rear suspension was changed not only because of the handling, the H frame was cheaper to build and took up less room. The rear suspension on the R8 is overly complicated and can only be a Honda design. The Maestro & Montego were always praised for their handling & ride so why would Rover move away from a simple reliable design unless they were forced to by Honda (Compare the ride and handling of a Montego with a contemporary SD3 200). I am guessing that Honda wanted to make a giant step with the ride/handling from the SD3 and they largely achieved it, but only by producing a relatively complicated suspension system. A guy that was involved with the packaging on the R3 visited our stand at the NEC. He said that that reducing the overhang compared to the R8 meant that it was difficult to get the spare wheel well, fuel tank and rear silencer in and still have a decent sized boot. The simpler suspension took up less room and allowed them to get all three in including a 50 litre fuel tank.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (13 yrs of ownership)

MikePR3

#32 Post by MikePR3 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Johnny 216GSi - thanks. Ordered.

montegoman - yes, the H frame had a range of benefits. Of course, if it needed a new floorpan that offset any savings from a simpler suspension. Interesting that BAe spent to do that, rather than go for the easiest/cheapest investment option. They must have had faith that the unit cost savings would justify the up front cost.

Overall R3 is largely ignored, but it did fairly well, and was a good car. I think this magazine article is the only account of it - the AROnline article seems to be culled from it.

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#33 Post by GTiJohn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm

You can't believe everything you read!

The R8 rear suspension is very good geometrically, it shares its concept with another rear axle - the Weissach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weissach_axle

Luckily for Honda, nobody in Porsche spotted the likeness :wink3

It is just very costly and space consuming.

I have a lead on the R3 floor design but I'll keep my powder dry until something comes of it.
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

MikePR3

#34 Post by MikePR3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 am

I have a lead on the R3 floor design but I'll keep my powder dry until something comes of it.
:D