New user here

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Duped216

New user here

#1 Post by Duped216 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Aloha from Spain, the country of paella, sangria, bulls and balconing.
Just joking, we have more things than all thoose stereotypes!
In fact I live in the north part, concretely in Basque Country, where we don't persist too much with the rest of the country and we have 364 rainy days per year, so I'm half british :laughing2
Silly jokes appart, I'm here because I want to keep my little 216 GTi in perfect shape, talk about cars with other people and share the love that the Rover brand evoke us. My uncle also have a 75 and since I have memory I remember travelling on that BIG rear side seats.

I'm a proudly Rover owner since 2012, where this guy appear in my life.
It's a real 2nd hand car. The previous owner bought it factory new and he sold me the car just because he was taking a new car and didn't want to see his first car going to the junkyard or being used as a 'street-racer-stupid-kid-car'. He really loved it and wanted to find a new home for his buddy.
He has served as a 'university bus' since then, and after graduation, has been like a 'friend'. He has survived one little crash (no ABS, rainy day :slapme ) that smashed the front wing and the bumper, but after 1 year of being a 'two-colour-car', I painted the spare parts and now looks great again.
Here is resting with another buddy that also lives in the neighborhood (don't know who is the owner but still love that BRM alloys)
As you can see it's a rainy day...
The only 'mod' I made was that little british flag where the '16 valve' decal should be...because they stole me and I think is a nice add, why not? Proudly owner of a british car!
Don't have more pics of my car, probably because of a broken HDD where I had tons of pictures. Gonna make some new pictures theese days.

I always give it the best oil and the maintenance it's up to date, so I hope he is going to last till the end of the world. You can believe me or not but I have never reached the injection cut or made any 'racing' driving lessons. He is elder, and we must respect ALWAYS the elders.

And that's more or less all I can say.
Stay tuned for more new pics.
See you!

1234dist
Club Member

Re: New user here

#2 Post by 1234dist » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Hola y bienvenido

:welcome
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Nigel B
Club Member

#3 Post by Nigel B » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Welcome

ROVER-25X

#4 Post by ROVER-25X » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Your steering wheel seems to be on the wrongs side good Sir ! :laughing2
ROVER-25X (2001 1.4 ROVER 25)
ROVER Cabriolet (1997 1.6 K-Series)
ROVER 25XD (2004 2.0TD ROVER 25)
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#5 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:21 pm

:D Is this one car or two car's? Ocean Pacific Blue from the front & Black from the rear? doh! blue before the repaint!

It's nice to see someone posting from Spain.
Last edited by Mr Teddy Bear on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

JEASPEKE
Club Member

#6 Post by JEASPEKE » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Great to see your Spanish cars.

Wondered if you could tell me some more details about your Gti, what year/ 3 door or 5 door? Etc.

I have one too with pictures : links: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHwe91Q or e-book https://rover-216-gti-web-site.myfreesites.net/

beat wishes.
John A.

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#7 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Looking carefully at the glass, it's a three door?
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

Duped216

#8 Post by Duped216 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm

JEASPEKE wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:26 pm
Great to see your Spanish cars.

Wondered if you could tell me some more details about your Gti, what year/ 3 door or 5 door? Etc.

I have one too with pictures : links: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHwe91Q or e-book https://rover-216-gti-web-site.myfreesites.net/

beat wishes.
John A.

Sure!
It's a 3 door GTi from november 91'. It's older than me!
It has the 16v valve DOHC Honda engine, actually with 210.000 km (130487,95 miles).
The last repair includes the oil+filters maintenance, water pump+belts and the water ¿thermostat?
Since I have it the only thing that has been broken is the radiator. Hopefully I noticed the coolant leak before making a Barbecue with the cylinder head gasket.

Actually im totally annoyed with the weather and the 'car', because it has somewhere (I sealed both lightbulbs) a water leak that is leaking in the trunk and I supose that also to the rear seats. I have been reading about this problem and my next step is disassemble al the panels in the trunk to seal the water leak in the third windows...or wherever must be the problem. The car sleeps in the street :mope
Yesterday I met the previous owner at the gym and he told me that with just 7 days with the car, the water went into the trunk through a pore in the rear window.
¿Did the Rover-MG group built this car for the british or for the Saharian weather? :laughing2 :laughing2

My idea is to restore the car when I have more time and money (actually Im competing). I want to disassemble the whole car, leaving it totally naked and paint all the rust that could have a 27 year old car. After that my intention is to keep the factory appearance with just some little extra-personal adds. But no big trims or ugly bodywork jobs.
Love that e-book you made. So cute!
Mr Teddy Bear wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:42 pm
Looking carefully at the glass, it's a three door?
Yes it is!

Let's see if this weekend the weather goes better and I can take some photos.
Must say is not 100% perfect...

JEASPEKE
Club Member

#9 Post by JEASPEKE » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 am

Great,
Thanks for the extra info, same engine as mine and similar mileage.
Good luck with the rebuild keep us informed
Hope to see your pictures soon
John A. :clapping :clapping :clapping

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#10 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Good to see that you're enjoying our car in a sunnier climate :clapping

There are several non-glass related ways that water gets into the boot - the rear light foam seals and the air vents are the two usual culprits.

I may have a '16v' badge somewhere if you do your bare-metal restoration and want to go back to original but it does book good how it is! :laughing2
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Duped216

#11 Post by Duped216 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 pm

JEASPEKE wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 am
Great,
Thanks for the extra info, same engine as mine and similar mileage.
Good luck with the rebuild keep us informed
Hope to see your pictures soon
John A. :clapping :clapping :clapping
https://ibb.co/y0SHCxf

One more there. Again raining!! Next week I think is going to be sunny weather, then... >> cleaning the car >> new photos >> start raining >> again dirty car >> get angry :cursing
As you can see there is a disjointed part in the driver's seat and the yellow foam appears. I tried to sew the seat but even with a leather needle I couldn't do it. The material is so hard that I hurted my fingers. Need to find a good and 'cheap' place where they can fix it, but at the moment the disjoint is not growing so...
Another ugly looking thing are the missing of the alloy's plastic caps. I have 3 of them but miss the 4th one. Impossible to find here. Maybe at eBay. My idea is to 'desing' a 3D model and print it in case of thief or lost. I would upload the file here in the forum of course. God bless the 3D printers!
GTiJohn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm
Good to see that you're enjoying our car in a sunnier climate :clapping

There are several non-glass related ways that water gets into the boot - the rear light foam seals and the air vents are the two usual culprits.

I may have a '16v' badge somewhere if you do your bare-metal restoration and want to go back to original but it does book good how it is! :laughing2
Yeah, the first thing I re-sealed were both lights. Got a spare rear light in the storage room and I will check the air vents on it.
When I have more time I will try to take some photos of the boot and if I'm lucky, photos of the water leak. Last time I saw the leak, was very weird because the lights where dry but the water was leaking.
Thanks for the offering!

crepello
Club Member

#12 Post by crepello » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm

The particular air vents mentioned here are not part of the light clusters. They hide behind the wrap-around side wings of the rear bumper.

Duped216

#13 Post by Duped216 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

crepello wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm
The particular air vents mentioned here are not part of the light clusters. They hide behind the wrap-around side wings of the rear bumper.
viewtopic.php?t=9421

I Googled and found this. Thanks!! :)