Rover 216 Vitesse (SD3) - Hi folks!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Tomkirk1993
Club Member

Rover 216 Vitesse (SD3) - Hi folks!

#1 Post by Tomkirk1993 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi Folks,

Thought I should introduce myself as I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now and quite often turn to it when I'm looking for an answer to the faults I keep finding on my car.

I'd always wanted a 216 Vitesse SD3. Back in 1993 my parents had one (Reg number E759 BHH if anyone knows its whereabouts?) and on the way to the hospital I was born in it! Unfortunately they sold it shortly after I was born and for the last 5 years I've been looking for a decent Vitesse. I'm pretty handy with older cars as my dad brought me up tinkering with his Triumphs and got myself into Land Rovers at an early age. I now work as an Engineer/Welder so do all my own maintenance on my own cars, more as a hobby than anything else.

After a few close buys and many saved searches on Ebay and the likes, one popped up just over a year ago on Ebay. She was an early 1986 Vitesse, non runner, mostly complete and been barn stored since 1999. Over half its life! I still have the 1999 tax disc on the windscreen for retro points! Anyways, I live in Scotland and it was up for sale near Gaydon so viewing wasn't really an option. I phoned the guy up and confirmed what its condition was like and went for it. Luckily I had 2 weeks of Christmas/New year holidays coming up and it all timed in well. I collected her, brought her back up to Scotland on a trailer pulled by my trusty Defender.

Once in the workshop I spent the entire of my holidays pluttering and trying to fix things as they cropped up. The engine after a good service required a water pump, cambelt and a new fuel pump which got it running. Other things cropped up like the radiator was blocked so gave it a good flush. Brake system pretty much completely renewed, along with the exhaust which was pretty much none existent (especially as the back). As the weather turned in autumn last year I changed the head gasket and checked the valve clearances ect.

I managed to get her MOT'ed in March at my local garage and as I used it more things would fail and I'd keep fixing them as they happened. I entered it into my local classic car show in the summer and just really enjoyed the car when the weather was right. Sometimes feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to fix it as fast as it breaks but I knew that's what it would be like having stood for such a long time. I haven't made any changes, just more recommissioning work as its relatively tidy once its got a coat of wax on and definitely gets attention everywhere is goes!

Its needing a couple of things in readiness for its second MOT in March, new windscreen as its got a crack in the top and other bits and bobs which I'll hopefully get onto over the next couple of weeks. I did have a thought of a road trip down to POL in April but there's a list of things to sort before I can get excited about that.

Hopefully I've attached a couple of images and you can get my list of questions later...

Tom.

1986 216 Vitesse SD3 - Vippy
2004 Defender 110 S/W - Bonny
2006 Defender 110 EX E-on energy - Gina

Dorchester
Club Member

Re: Rover 216 Vitesse (SD3) - Hi folks!

#2 Post by Dorchester » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Congratulations! It looks top notch! I love that classy black. :thumbup
My parents bought their first Rover in 1988: it was a 213SE, same design as yours.
They swapped it in 1991 for a 214Gsi.
Rover 214i cabriolet v16 1994 BRG & lightstone leather
Rover 25 1.4 Saws Tuning remapped 2002 platinum silver
Rover 75 V6 2.5 1999 Atlantic blue & sandstone beige leather

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#3 Post by montegoman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 pm

That looks really nice and a very rare car too. Well done for persevering with it.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)

Tomkirk1993
Club Member

#4 Post by Tomkirk1993 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 pm

Thank you Dorchester! Notice you’re in France. We go there quite often but not quite as south as you. One day I’ll take the Vitesse out there for a good run!

Thanks montegoman, the work in pays off when the nice weather comes and it can be enjoyed!

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#5 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 am

Looks great and you can't get a closer connection to a car than yours :clapping

Hope you can make it to POL :D
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Dorchester
Club Member

#6 Post by Dorchester » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:57 am

Tomkirk1993 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 pm
Thank you Dorchester! Notice you’re in France. We go there quite often but not quite as south as you. One day I’ll take the Vitesse out there for a good run!
You'll ever be very welcome... for a tasty meal with a good wine, eh! :)
I'll be happy to see your Vitesse.
Rover 214i cabriolet v16 1994 BRG & lightstone leather
Rover 25 1.4 Saws Tuning remapped 2002 platinum silver
Rover 75 V6 2.5 1999 Atlantic blue & sandstone beige leather

Kieran94

#7 Post by Kieran94 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:11 am

:welcome

Fair play, that is beautiful

Russnp
Club Member

#8 Post by Russnp » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Tomkirk1993 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:15 pm
Hi Folks,

Thought I should introduce myself as I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now and quite often turn to it when I'm looking for an answer to the faults I keep finding on my car.

I'd always wanted a 216 Vitesse SD3. Back in 1993 my parents had one (Reg number E759 BHH if anyone knows its whereabouts?) and on the way to the hospital I was born in it! Unfortunately they sold it shortly after I was born and for the last 5 years I've been looking for a decent Vitesse. I'm pretty handy with older cars as my dad brought me up tinkering with his Triumphs and got myself into Land Rovers at an early age. I now work as an Engineer/Welder so do all my own maintenance on my own cars, more as a hobby than anything else.

After a few close buys and many saved searches on Ebay and the likes, one popped up just over a year ago on Ebay. She was an early 1986 Vitesse, non runner, mostly complete and been barn stored since 1999. Over half its life! I still have the 1999 tax disc on the windscreen for retro points! Anyways, I live in Scotland and it was up for sale near Gaydon so viewing wasn't really an option. I phoned the guy up and confirmed what its condition was like and went for it. Luckily I had 2 weeks of Christmas/New year holidays coming up and it all timed in well. I collected her, brought her back up to Scotland on a trailer pulled by my trusty Defender.

Once in the workshop I spent the entire of my holidays pluttering and trying to fix things as they cropped up. The engine after a good service required a water pump, cambelt and a new fuel pump which got it running. Other things cropped up like the radiator was blocked so gave it a good flush. Brake system pretty much completely renewed, along with the exhaust which was pretty much none existent (especially as the back). As the weather turned in autumn last year I changed the head gasket and checked the valve clearances ect.

I managed to get her MOT'ed in March at my local garage and as I used it more things would fail and I'd keep fixing them as they happened. I entered it into my local classic car show in the summer and just really enjoyed the car when the weather was right. Sometimes feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to fix it as fast as it breaks but I knew that's what it would be like having stood for such a long time. I haven't made any changes, just more recommissioning work as its relatively tidy once its got a coat of wax on and definitely gets attention everywhere is goes!

Its needing a couple of things in readiness for its second MOT in March, new windscreen as its got a crack in the top and other bits and bobs which I'll hopefully get onto over the next couple of weeks. I did have a thought of a road trip down to POL in April but there's a list of things to sort before I can get excited about that.

Hopefully I've attached a couple of images and you can get my list of questions later...

Tom.

That's lovely, do you know which garage supplied it , it has a Teesside registration. I used to live up there and spent a lot of time at dealers in the 80s

Love the AA box shot there is one near here on the Norfolk coast.
I've got the foundations down to build one in my garden
98 Rover Coupe VVC
99 MGF VVC
03 ZT 135
03 ZR 115 TD
15 MG3 , partners car

Off the road at present

Maestro van , British Rail
Maestro EFi - in body shop
Metro Turbo

Tomkirk1993
Club Member

#9 Post by Tomkirk1993 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Russnp wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 pm

That's lovely, do you know which garage supplied it , it has a Teesside registration. I used to live up there and spent a lot of time at dealers in the 80s

Unfortunately I don't have much history for her. Her last tax disc (1999) had Fakenham post office stamped on it. It also has a service sticker from its last garage that it got serviced at which is also in Fakenham so I'm guessing she spent some time near yourself in Norfolk. Also a horse feed sticker on the the back window so I'm guessing the Norfolk owners where equine people. There isn't many of these cars left so they must've done something right and the dryer climate on the east coast may also have something to do with it!

Interesting to know its a Teesside registration though!

Tom

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member

#10 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:54 pm

E759 BHH not taxed since May 1999 so most likely scrapped.
Club Social Media Sec. (Twitter/Instagram)
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer (on the road)
1996-N Charcoal 214 SEi (project)
2010 Volvo V50 2.0 SE Lux (daily)
Former:
214 SEi x3, 216 SLi, 216 Cabriolet, 416 GSi, 25, 45, 75

Russnp
Club Member

#11 Post by Russnp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am

Tomkirk1993 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:23 pm
Russnp wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Unfortunately I don't have much history for her. Her last tax disc (1999) had Fakenham post office stamped on it. It also has a service sticker from its last garage that it got serviced at which is also in Fakenham so I'm guessing she spent some time near yourself in Norfolk. Also a horse feed sticker on the the back window so I'm guessing the Norfolk owners where equine people. There isn't many of these cars left so they must've done something right and the dryer climate on the east coast may also have something to do with it!

Interesting to know its a Teesside registration though!

Tom
Hi Tom
Quite ironic I ask about its north east roots and it's been living about 10 miles from me!
Its amazing how cars move about I bought my metro near rugby but when I was going through old tax discs and with the plates realised I'd seen it on the day before it was delivered in kings Lynn
We were on holiday in Norfolk and I'd lost the petrol cap of the maestro EFi I had and we went to mann egerton, while I was at the stores my then girlfriend had a wonder about and was sitting in a green metro turbo and was told by a salesman that it was sold.
It was the only green turbo there so I'm sure it was the same car

Cheers
Russ
98 Rover Coupe VVC
99 MGF VVC
03 ZT 135
03 ZR 115 TD
15 MG3 , partners car

Off the road at present

Maestro van , British Rail
Maestro EFi - in body shop
Metro Turbo