Another new member, Tim in Kent.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Tim_Hinchliffe

Another new member, Tim in Kent.

#1 Post by Tim_Hinchliffe » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm

Hello all. I'm Tim. I'm on the North Kent Coast. My daily driver is a 416 SLi Tourer which I've had for some years and which seems to have become a borderline classic while I've been driving it. And if I'm to give it a bit more love and money than it's had before now and make it my forever car, I need to ask a handful of questions first.

It's my fourth 200/400 after a 214 Hatchback, then inheriting my dad's 414 saloon, then having fun for a time with a 214 Cabriolet. My tally stands at three head-gaskets and four front window repairs. I'm tempted by now to fix the door cards on with velcro to save time, and come MOT time the guy at the garage sees me coming and says "I know, I know: Don't touch the windows".

When being less patriotic, I've had a series of VW Sharans as workhorses/family cars, interrupted by a short period with Rover 75 Tourer, because they were, and still are, practically free. I liked it but my wife could barely handle it, and it was a bit of a trial of strength. Go further back and I had a couple of SD1s which were also a lot of car for not much money. Until they broke and the maths went horribly wrong.

Now I'm thinking of settling down with the 416 Tourer and its nice Honda engine and I have a few questions. Nice to meet you.

961tat
Club Member

Re: Another new member, Tim in Kent.

#2 Post by 961tat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:20 pm

:welcome nice car the tourer use to have 418 tourer mile eater and very reliable.

Topcat Tomcat
Club Member

#3 Post by Topcat Tomcat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 am

Welcome to the Club. Like most car clubs, there's a wealth of knowledge amongst members on the forum. I've found it incredibly useful in the few months that I've been active on here.

Can't wait to see photos :D..........even though I haven't got around to posting photos of mine yet!........ :blushing
Topcat Tomcat (aka Conductorwomble)

1990 216 GSi Auto 5 Door
1995 214 iS 3 Door
2001 1.8 Connie 45 4 Door - Wedgewood Blue
2005 1.6 GSi 45 5 Door - Firefrost

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#4 Post by GTiJohn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 am

:welcome

Nice history of car ownership and you're obviously a bit 'hands on' which helps with most cars :D

This is how to post photos, when the time comes - https://www.rover200.org.uk/forums/view ... =1&t=12794
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Nigel B
Club Member

#5 Post by Nigel B » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 pm

A warm welcome from a fellow Tourer owner (Cabriolet too) :welcome

Tim_Hinchliffe

#6 Post by Tim_Hinchliffe » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'll figure out the photo-posting thing as soon as I get a minute. I do have a lot of tools here, but I'm afraid I've always characterised my mechanical knowledge as being enough to get into trouble but not quite enough to get back out of it. Mind you, I'm ace at taking things apart!