Roof bars/rack

Done anything to upgrade or personalise your 200 or 400? Wanting some advice on upgrades? Then talk about it in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

tgalderman

Roof bars/rack

#1 Post by tgalderman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi. River 200 saloon 1999.
How do I fit roof bars or a roof rack? Does the long plastic strip in the roof come out? Or do you just remove it partially to fit bars? I'm at a bit of a loss.

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

Re: Roof bars/rack

#2 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:02 pm

tgalderman wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:45 pm
Hi. River 200 saloon 1999.
How do I fit roof bars or a roof rack? Does the long plastic strip in the roof come out? Or do you just remove it partially to fit bars? I'm at a bit of a loss.
Those are gutter rails for the rain water. Nothing to do with the roof rack I don't think.

Most roof rack systems grip onto the edge of the roof and put a soft pad down onto the roof proper - at both ends and on both bars. The metal grips (covered in a plastic coating to stop scratches to the paintwork) that fold around the roof edge are usually quite thin so the doors still close and the outer door weather seals have to distort a little to accommodate them. But it all works. The tightness of the grip is controlled by a strap internal to each bar that is tightened at one end of each bar during fitting.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image