My modified mk2 420 sli, + Tv's and Lighting+new project

Done anything to upgrade or personalise your 200 or 400? Wanting some advice on upgrades? Then talk about it in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

2rovers

Re: My modified mk2 420 sli, + Tv's and Lighting+new project

#46 Post by 2rovers » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:38 pm

I've literally just bought a Vibe deltabox ! :)
(M) Rover 420 sli saloon British racing green (show car) (walford.org)
51 v70 Volvo estate (200k and still ticking ) Daily driver & workhorse .
01 v70 Volvo estate (205k and is poorly )

2rovers

#47 Post by 2rovers » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:40 pm

Here's a view from the front looking into the car.

The timber uprights will not be staying where they are, they are only there so that I can tack ( drawing pin!) the card onto to get some idea of the size of the front final panel and use as a template, I can also then decide on the subwoofer layout.

The black cable running out the top of the car is a video/power feed for the rear view mirror monitor, and the small black cable to the right is the antenna for the DAB tuner. I've also got to mount the snooper aerial to the roof.

2rovers

#48 Post by 2rovers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 pm

update:

Alrighty, today hasn't been very productive regarding getting anything done to the car directly, I've had a few family commitments to tend to, and they always come first, no matter what!, but..... this hasn't delayed progress in other areas.

I've paid a visit to my local, if you call a 3 mile walk local!, powder coaters and had a butchers at my new painted engine parts, and to say that I'm very impressed with them is an understatement!, and I forgot to take photo's! doh!!!
so I guess we're all going to have to wait for them another week, I'm having them blast my exhaust manifold too, so once that's done I'l collect the lot at once.
I've also ordered some new engine bay cable management because I'm sick of the rubbish that's already there, so all being well that will be here very soon.
I have also purchased a line driver, that'l get wedged in with the xover in a cubby hole.

Speaking of the crossover, that's been something I've been trying to get my head around for ages now, its locating the thing!, not exactly the easiest as I'm factoring in access whilst sat in the car, 2 years ago I had it in the boot, dumb move!, utterly pointless cos I could never tweak it on demand per say, always running from front to back, sometimes you cannot distinguish the difference, especially harder with no one else around.
Last year it was in the passenger foot well, a better location, but again, not ideal when having to move your head again to adjust it. Now I had thought of the roof, perfect in the sunroof cavity and in easy reach, but alas, considering the weight of the thing, and 9 pairs of rca cables, that easily becomes quite heavy, with no easy way except to brace, and that means lowering the roof a little, not going to happen as I'm 6'2!, so, I have finally decided on a convenient place, and although its not on show , it is easily accessible for on demand tweaks, making hearing differences far easier because I wont have to move my head while I do.

It took me ages to compromise because I really wanted to have it on show, but alas, function is more important than aesthetics under the circumstances!.

re: the previous post with the pictures.

As you can see, there are 2 batons upright from the floor, these are only temporary and have been used just to help me with measurements and take a template of the whole surface area across the front so that I can work out speaker layout.
They will be gone when the box is slid into place.
The cables you see are also going to be secured and relocated a little , and I shall try and show photos of this , I'm not going to cheat and leave cables hanging around, its just not clever, and I may be judged on cable issues of I decide to enter any competitions I feel I would qualify for.
I have to wait until I have some structure in place before some of the cables are routed, this is because some stuff is mounted onto boxes etc etc or on the roof, yet to be installed.
I also spent yesterday sanding down my entire front bumper, in all honesty it needs doing as there was so many patches on it, so I'm working on a budget fix for that at the mo till next year....
and lastly, I can now confirm my front seats are in the process of being professionally recovered, so if alls well, they should add a really nice classy touch to the inside of the car.
there we have it guys, the story so far........!

speak soon.

2rovers

#49 Post by 2rovers » Sat May 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi there folks.
Sorry its been a while since my last update,so many personal affairs to sort out.
I have had to reluctantly withdraw from this years show. This decision has come in light of the impact the weather has made on progress.
I work outside, and therefore rely on certain conditions to get things done, as do many of us no doubt experience , so it has come to this, the first time in 8 years that I am unable to bring the car to the show , but........

....This opens up many many opportunities given the extended time-frame for next years show.

I am some what unhappy, but try to look on the positive effects this will have, although I haven't been able to do any work to the car personally, I did have work sent off to be done by pro's : powder coating, exhaust repaint and seats to be recovered.
My coated parts have been done, the exhaust ,and the seats have been recovered in white and green industrial leatherette, bloody typical after I make the decision to call it time!, given the time left it will be impossible for me to get the car done, and the required funds for such a task are just not available at such short notice, so there we have it.
Looking on the plus side, I just might seize the chance and get some of the body work done before I continue with the install , so as things start to continue I shall post here first.
I hope to restart this project around the middle of June, even if its prep work for body shop its still something.

Fatdave

#50 Post by Fatdave » Sun May 06, 2012 6:18 pm

bit of a shame. i was hoping to have a look round it at modified nationals.

you still going with the cab?
JS Performance group buy silicone breather pipes for T series turbo
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0997112995

2rovers

#51 Post by 2rovers » Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Yeah , kinda pee'd me off a little.
Yup , most definately going in cabby this year but won't be showing, so il be in the VIP camping area by the trees , there should be a silver 3 series BMW next to me this year if you wish to pop by.
I guess one thing this year as I can enjoy the event a little more.

RoverRevival
Club Member

#52 Post by RoverRevival » Sun May 06, 2012 9:19 pm

where is mod nats?
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
216 ronda coupe
& C3

2rovers

#53 Post by 2rovers » Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Peterborough my friend ! Fri 1st June - sun 3rd.

Fatdave

#54 Post by Fatdave » Mon May 07, 2012 3:14 pm

i'll be there sunday on the customised creations club stand.

2rovers

#55 Post by 2rovers » Wed May 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Fatdave wrote:i'll be there sunday on the customised creations club stand.
Il catch up with you there then

2rovers

#56 Post by 2rovers » Sat May 12, 2012 12:30 am

After a little thought, I may even use this years show as more of a research year, allowing me more time to examine some of the other exhibits in more detail.

I now have the urge to do some custom bodywork , but I'm not sure what.
The hardest thing to do is what hasn't been done already, or hasn't been done to a Rover !
I already know what I can do to the rear doors, boot and possibly bonnet, but I'm stuck on front end, and sides, so that will be what I'm looking out for this year.

RoverRevival
Club Member

#57 Post by RoverRevival » Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 am

I have a spare f/g front bumper with massive openings to the front if your interested.

Can even get it sprayed for you.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
216 ronda coupe
& C3

Fatdave

#58 Post by Fatdave » Sat May 12, 2012 9:18 am

most will tell you not to stray to far from the original lines and thats what i would probably do. the rover sport is a nice kit and the one i would go with. at the end of the day though its your car and you do what ever makes you happy.

2rovers

#59 Post by 2rovers » Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 pm

I definitely want to keep the natural lines of the car, just thinking of some nice skirts , maybe remove the trims off the doors.

De-lock the rear doors, single wiper kit conversion, and most important ... A set of 17's!

2rovers

#60 Post by 2rovers » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Well, the mod nats weather turned out as predicted, the weather was a tad poor!

Moving on.....the car.

Now ive got myself another year, things are taking a different route.

The sound system will stay as planned apart from the possibility of adding another couple of subs.

The main focus of attention is now on the car itself.
Given the fact I have decided upon a hefty show off sound and media system, I might as well back that up with some investment and bring the car up to a good standard outside.
Yesterday I moved the car, after de cluttering it, and it now rests in the hands of a friendly steel fabricators and mechanical engineers workshop.
I'm getting these guys to overhaul the front and rear doors for me and carry out any work to my requirements.
The list also includes suspension and steering bushes, bearings, brakes, exhaust , drop links etc etc.
The final stage they will be involved in will be preparation for a full respray.

That's the plan..........

Although, I now have a couple of pictures of the newly reupholstered front seats.
Unfortunately due to the poor lighting available and not wanting to handle them straight away the pictures do not do them justice.

There are also matching headrest covers in the upper left corner of the first pic :

The plastic trims and handles will be painted to match before they go back on.

Sorry I haven't posted for a short while, but this has been the only progress worthy of updating!

I am around though on other threads.
Last edited by 2rovers on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.