Interior roof trim - Coupe

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

BazR
Getting Settled In
Car Ownership: Rover 220 Turbo Coupe

Interior roof trim - Coupe

#1 Post by BazR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Well I find myself in quite the position when finishing up my now what I refer to as, 'The once a decade refurb'. The last time I was at this particular part of the car, the roof lining was in good condition, but the rear has sagged big time and upon inspection, the foundation for it is crumbling to bits, literally. :sad

Rimmers don't have the part in question and to risk seeking a second hand one is a bit of a gamble, as removal of this item can cause major damage to it.

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002545

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002962

So what would you think my options are? 1234dist, would you have one of these? I would gather you would be gentle enough to remove one without breaking it in bits but it is a big ask. I am thinking of making one from scratch but that is going to be time consuming to say the least.

Opinions please folks and thank you.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

Re: Interior roof trim - Coupe

#2 Post by 1234dist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 pm

You are correct, we found one front and rear for the coupe on Sunday :)
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
416 K-series Tourer R416NEB
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

BazR
Getting Settled In

#3 Post by BazR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:19 pm

You are a Saint (if willing to post!) I was nearly resigning myself to having to make one from scratch. PM me with what you need ££, it would make sense to take both if you are willing to part with them. I thought POL was gonna be a no show for me there for a moment.

1234dist
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 420 Turbo Saloon

#4 Post by 1234dist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm

postage is the part thats gonna suck.

They are big, flimsy and fragile, we would need to use the 200oc postage scheme.

We need someone popping over the pond.
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT (issues :glare )
Rover Sport 220GTI m-series K56AEP
218 VVC Cabriolet R170FEU
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
416 K-series Tourer R416NEB
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

crepello
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

#5 Post by crepello » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:33 pm

If the 'foundation' you mention is the thin foam layer, then you could re-cover the shell/biscuit, which you're going to have to take out anyway.

See this thread.

Woolies sell the material you need.

BazR
Getting Settled In

#6 Post by BazR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm

It is the actual form of the liner/trim, the bit which is made up of some composite type material. It is crumbling away in my hands every time I try and go near it. I only wish it was the fabric part.

crepello
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

#7 Post by crepello » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 pm

That's a pity. So we need to work out how to preserve these over the longer term too!

BazR
Getting Settled In

#8 Post by BazR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:55 am

I could be waiting a while for someone to make their way over here, so I have nothing to lose by trying the following...

I will try and salvage as much of the existing hard section as I can, fortunately the complicated bits, such as up around the glass handles are in tact, its more towards the rear of the trim panel that has perished. So, enter ABS. One would think I am obsessed with ABS, but on this occasion I am referring to the material, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, which can be gently formed with some heat. I may choose another material but as long as it is open to being reformed, it won't hinge on ABS. Cost will be key, so I will be aiming for as thin a material I can use, it can be further reinforced with other materials, strips of alloy, it won't really matter as the underside won't be seen.

To get the correct 'bow' in the panel, I can attempt using a rooftop of a Coupe. Fortunately, again, I have a spare Coupe or two, but why not use a replacement trim panel from those? well they are suffering the same issue also, however using the upper side of the roof will hopefully give me a nice uniform bend, rather than heating and pressing on different areas from inside the car. Gravity will by my friend. It may not be perfect from that method, but it will get me close enough to then further adjust, much less work. I might infact increase the bow in the panel, mount it and then heat slightly so it can then relax into the perfect radius.

So what about those complicated bits around the glass latches/handles? well I think with some jiggery pokery, I can mold the ABS to that profile also, which will be much easier to do with the foremost part of the panel intact.

Once achieved I will then bond on some clips and then add some padding and on the underside I will add some there too if required, as I expect the ABS will thin in certain areas where there is a tight radius. As long as the general shape is achieved, all will be well. The material begins to bend around 200 degrees plus, so unless the Coupe turns into a cooker, the panel will hold its form for the foreseeable.

Pretty ambitious, but necessary and in time, could prove to be the way forward for others wishing to replace. Who knows, I might make more than one. It could of course, turn out a complete shambles, but I like a challenge!

The idea hit me when I was about to order some PET G material to protect the pine doors at home, the cat has a habit of climbing the doors so I am going to cover the areas in 0.5mm sheet, so he can do what he blooming wants then!

Thoughts and suggestions welcome, of course. (on the panel, not the cat)