Removal of Door Weatherstrips

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.
Julesmat50
Club Member

Removal of Door Weatherstrips

#1 Post by Julesmat50 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Is it possible to remove the rubber/plastic/felt weatherstrips that are on the bottom of the window that keep the water from running down the glass into the door frame? If so, does the whole door have to be dismantled to get them out and are these the correct replacements should I need them??
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID002492
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID002493
Both front and rear - item 12
I need to do some work to the paint and would like to not damage them whilst doing so. Ideally I would like to replace the old items back on the door, but would purchase new ones if necessary.
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

crepello
Club Member

Re: Removal of Door Weatherstrips

#2 Post by crepello » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 am

You need to squeeze the splayed branches of clips 14 and 15 to release several clips per weatherstrip. Needless to say, this involves removing the door cards and membrane.
The intermediate ones aren't too bad, but where a lock prevents direct access, a thesaurus of expletives may be useful.
When releasing progressively, care is needed to avoid permanently deforming the steel core of the weatherstrip.

Julesmat50
Club Member

#3 Post by Julesmat50 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 am

crepello wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 am
a thesaurus of expletives may be useful.
Do Rimmers sell that too? :laughing2
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

Kriss707
Club Member

#4 Post by Kriss707 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Door dismantling is not necessary, I GENTLY levered mine from the outside with a wide trim removal tool, over half of the 'Y' clips came out OK the rest broke as they get brittle over time. Luckily I had some spares to replace the ones that broke.

Too much force & the trim will bend, then your on a hiding to nothing trying to get them back on & still looking good !