Bumper corners

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

216secoupeessex
Club Member

Bumper corners

#1 Post by 216secoupeessex » Sun May 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi guys dont know what they are called (black bumper inserts on corners) on my 1998 coupe are scuffed.
I would like to restore them so they look nicer.
They are not too bad, but was thinking of sanding them smooth and then maybe high build primer to smooth them up and then paint with Black satin aerosol?

How would other people do it?

Thanks in advance

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

Re: Bumper corners

#2 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 pm

216secoupeessex wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Hi guys dont know what they are called (black bumper inserts on corners) on my 1998 coupe are scuffed.
I would like to restore them so they look nicer.
They are not too bad, but was thinking of sanding them smooth and then maybe high build primer to smooth them up and then paint with Black satin aerosol?

How would other people do it?

Thanks in advance
Yep -so paint plastic it's a sand flat and fill any major pits with a plastic filler - I don' think a high build would add enough volume to cover the scratches would it??. Then I'd go adhesion promoter which is very thin to spray - a few light coats and only dry for 1 hour before applying primer (some people go straight for an etch primer on bare plastic but I don't). Then a plastic primer and possibly a normal primer over the top (if you're keen to try high build, then this top primer coat could be high build and up to this point of applying it you will still be seeing the damaged surface texture even though it's got a coat or two of adhesion promoter and plastic primer on it) , Leave to dry at least 24 hours. Then key the primer 800 grit. Over the top I'd put black textured paint - either from Ebay or buy a custom aerosol from DC aerosols in Milton Keynes (two different texture sizes, lots of other options for gloss level, etc. - but choose 1K acrylic and probably satin gloss level) .
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

216secoupeessex
Club Member

#3 Post by 216secoupeessex » Tue May 26, 2020 9:03 am

Many thanks will try that.
I am not desperate to try high build - just thought it might smooth the corner.

Regarding texture - would smooth Satin be the best for a factory finish?

Neil

Russnp
Club Member

#4 Post by Russnp » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:26 pm

I had a slight scuff on one of mine which I sanded off with 800 grit wet and dry followed by 1200 and sprayed with satin black and it matches the factory finish on the other perfectly
98 Rover Coupe VVC
99 MGF VVC
03 ZT 135
03 ZR 115 TD
15 MG3 , partners car

Off the road at present

Maestro van , British Rail
Maestro EFi - in body shop
Metro Turbo

216secoupeessex
Club Member