rover 220 Sli all weather car cover

Is your car looking tired? Need some advice on how to keep your car in great shape? Into detailing and cleaning and want some advice on products. Then ask away in here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Duncan2
Club Member

rover 220 Sli all weather car cover

#1 Post by Duncan2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 pm

Can anyone please ink to a decent quality full body car cover for my R8 which has no garage to go to and is not as young as she used to be.Had something from Aldi wth rubbish plastic hooks that were completely ineffective as anchors.Ideally this would be a snug fit and made of durable stormproof canvas.Could just google but it seems likely to me that someone with an R8 on this site (and no garage) will know just what i should be looking to buy.Thanks in advance Rover chaps and chapesses. :)

Julesmat50
Club Member

Re: rover 220 Sli all weather car cover

#2 Post by Julesmat50 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:51 pm

I was looking for somehtiing similar and came across this review. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-g ... car-covers. It's a 2021 review, so reasonably current. I personally ended up buying the Halfords one, but you may decide you prefer something else :)
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Current 418SLD Turbo Tourer - Diamond White II
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

Plodder
Club Member

#3 Post by Plodder » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:05 pm

I had a couple of Halfords all weather cover .
Generally it was pretty good but over an 8 year period it did leave a lot scratches on the roof from the movement in the wind.
I was looking to replace it with the following before I found a lock up garage but I don’t know how good they are:

https://www.carscovers.co.uk/400-car-co ... -1999.html
1991 Rover 416 GTI Auto - Flame Red

Duncan2
Club Member

#4 Post by Duncan2 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Thanks for those links Plodder and Julesmat.Plenty of food for thought there :thumbup

henryiett

#5 Post by henryiett » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:15 pm

I use one for a Vauxhall astra which works
Rover 214si 1990

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#6 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:14 pm

The Sealey all-weather cover fits well on a 5-door hatch.

Part code: SCCL (the "L" means it's the large version, and "SCC" is the outdoor all-weather model range - they do some non-waterproof indoor covers too with different part codes).
It's cheap, multi-layer and unlike the Halfords one it is completely waterproof.

Not sure I've noticed any scratches. As long as you make sure your car is completely clean before fitting it, you should be fine.

I have noticed the covers begin to perish after a few years. After about three years, one of my old Halfords covers just tore whilst I was fitting it.

I think the Sealey will go the same way, but to be honest given the price then you can probably afford to replace it every few years anyway. It'll guarantee you'll always be fitting a clean cover. Custom or semi-custom covers from reputable manufacturers can cost 2-3 times the price of the Sealey easily.

Semi-custom or loose fitting genetic types are what you want if you're storing outside, as the approximate fit will leave plenty o room for the wind to get under the cover and blow away condensation which is what you want.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

tompinney
Club Member

#7 Post by tompinney » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 pm

https://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/collec ... =975458832

I've got this one for my car, been using it for the past six years and lasting very well and I'm happy with the fit too.

The same part number is listed for the 400 too (or it was when I bought mine) but I think it's a bit too short for the saloon personally, but the roversport bumpers on mine might not be helping.
Tom

Above all, it's a Rover!
-1993 220 Coupé (2008 MG Saloon Day 'Best Modified Rover')
-1993 420GSi Sport Turbo (The 'Rumm Chuff' :))