Cabby se

Sub-forum for Cabriolet Owners

Moderator: Forum Staff

Graham Childs
Club Member

Cabby se

#1 Post by Graham Childs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi all, I'm a new member & logged on today. I recently purchased a se 216 in Nightfire red from Wales via fleabag. Bit of a whim , & a project as I've recently retired. The car is showing 68k the mot history seems to back this up although the Speedo is intermittent above 30. The interior is in very good condition as is the hood covering. The header rail is a bit crusty it's also slow. It drove back from Wales very well, the only issue is a bit of a judder if not given enough revs from standstill. The driver's door skin was delaminating & also has a split where a constant drip from the mirror is. I found a good door from a breakers in Chichester. Other than that it just a small amount of bubbling around the arches. No history but a bill for recent service & timing belt. The log book says it was a cat N so I assume as it's not got an se bumper & the slam panel is a bit buckled & in red primer this was the area damaged. It has a recent mot with minor tyre advisories.

RoverRevival
Club Member

Re: Cabby se

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 pm

The judder is down to a previous owner buying a cheap clutch, or it needing a new one...*laughs*
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
216 ronda coupe
& C3

961tat
Club Member

#3 Post by 961tat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm

Welcome to the club :welcome

Graham Childs
Club Member

#4 Post by Graham Childs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:35 pm

Thanks chaps for the warm welcome. I've just discovered that the blower only working on speed 4 us a common problem, so new resistor ordered. I would however like to acquire a new/ replacement roof header rail.( No doubt unobtainable ) I also found on YouTube that if you operate the roof several times it bleeds itself !... I've also ordered the correct hydraulic fluid if it needs it. I'm also thinking I might have ago at the rust spots and paint myself. It's never going to be a show winner,I'd just like it presentable. The car was relatively cheap so if I screw up its no real problem . Just looking to get involved & watching other cabby videos.( I've been watching Furious driving on YouTube) I would have definitely thrown my car in the canal if I'd had his tales of woe. Any advice freely accepted.im painfully aware as Manuel would say " I know nothing " :laughing2

RoverRevival
Club Member

#5 Post by RoverRevival » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 am

We’ll get ya waders ready, classic car ownership is almost exactly like you see on matts videos...*laughs*
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
216 ronda coupe
& C3

961tat
Club Member

#6 Post by 961tat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Hello again I have cabby parts for sale including roof parts and header rail for sale in lancaster can also post , your right it will bleed is self .Happy to help if I can :D

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#7 Post by GTiJohn » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:46 pm

:welcome

Getting the hydraulic fluid into the pump reservoir is a bit of a faff and remember you need the handbrake on for the hood switch to work. There's a simple interlock to prevent it being used when moving :cool
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Kriss707

#8 Post by Kriss707 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:24 pm

Yes, Handbrake does need to be applied for roof to operate.

I used a syringe to get the fluid in the reservoir :D

Graham Childs
Club Member

#9 Post by Graham Childs » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks chaps, resistor fitted all good. Couldn't turn the immobilizer off, I had visions of Matt on furious driving, but heyho just a battery fob change sorted it. New gear gaitor on a find on eBay upgraded to leather all for £10. :clapping .... Went for a half hour blast. The stereo fitted is a non standard item from the 90s not really had a look but it was playing on classic FM. I found my self driving with spirit listening to some " banging" opera classic !!!!!! A very new and seemingly apt pastime. Lovely. ps private message about the header rail. Thanks.