1994 Rover 414Sli

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Vulgalour
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

Re: 1994 Rover 414Sli

#361 Post by Vulgalour » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Finally got access to Mike's ramp today and got to see whether or not the new parts I'd bought were correct. The last 2 MoTs it's been a struggled to get the car to pass emissions and I knew the catalytic converter needed replacing. I'd bought the parts ages ago to do the job, I just haven't been able to get stuff together to get the job done and doing it on the drive on my back while possible, was certainly not desireable. I was on the verge of paying someone to do the job for me when everything fell into place and half an hour spent today saw it done.

Up on the trusty old lift...
Image20171110-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Then the old part could be removed. Five bolts that, surprisingly, undid fairly easily once the initial torque was beaten by the breaker bar. No silly business with bolts sheering or the like. It was clear that the smaller gasket was well past its sell by date. having corroded away in places and showing some signs of blowing through.
Image20171110-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It took me a while to find the right part for my car and I ended up with a Klarius branded item. It fits well enough and installation was pretty easy with two of us and the ramp.
Image20171110-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It has made some small differences. The car is actually less noisy now, one of the irritating drone/buzzes is gone so I guess that must have been the old part causing that. Gear change is also better, seemingly, with the car less prone to snatchy gear changes or worse, stalling unexpectedly when setting off. I'm wondering if the latter is an actual improvement or just coincidence at this point, I've only driven the car a few miles. Happy it's now done, at any rate, and that should see me okay for emissions at the next MoT, I hope.

There's a few bits and bobs for me to work through, all of them really superficial items. I do feel very much like the money I've invested in this car has been returned with reliable service and an easy car to live with that isn't monstrously boring. It wants little more than ordinary servicing and cleaning to keep it in really good shape now as far as I can tell. I'd like to get things like the interior light door switches working reliably rather than when they feel like it (probably mucky contacts) and things like that, but honestly that's about as bad as the problems are now so they're not really problems at all.

Vulgalour
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 414 Saloon

#362 Post by Vulgalour » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 am

Now I've actually driven the car around my usual routes and some new ones on less familiar, faster roads I can confirm my initial feeling of things being improved are not imagined. This has been confirmed by the rare occurence of a passenger who has confirmed my suspicions.

Noise - it's so quiet the trim rattles are a bit more annoying now and the lack of drone means I don't have to have the radio so loud as I did.
Fuel Economy - improved! Only 2-5mpg, I'll need to do a few more fuel ups to know exactly. I hadn't expected this improvement.
Performance - It's not faster, but it is smoother. Before the new cat' acceleration was snatchy/jerky and it would quickly run out of puff between the gears. Now, when you accelerate it does so smoothly and predictably and just keeps going. It's not a fast car, it never will be since it's only a 1.4, but it's so much easier to get it to go now.
Stalling - it doesn't do this anymore. I was having issues with the car stalling setting off from junctions and sometimes setting off first thing when the car was still cold. These problems have gone completely.
Gear change - It was being troublesome with third and reverse. Now the troubles with third are completely gone. Reverse is sometimes difficult to select but I'm told that's normal for the R65 'box and a foible of MG Fs so I'm putting it down to more of a one-of-those-things deal.

I'm not really sure at this point what I can improve without going into performance territory now. I've got all the stock stuff as good as it's ever likely to get and mechanically it feels completely sorted. I do have the new minor bushes to go on the back but that's more because I want to get them all replaced than because it feels like anything is amiss back there.

To complete the illusion of the car not feeling like it's done 115,000 miles I could do with a better driver's seat as mine is pretty worn out, and figuring out how to stop the dash buzzing/rattling at 50mph. You can imagine how annoying a constant rattle/buzz is that's triggered at 50mph given how many stretches of the M1 are limited to that. I suspect it's a broken clip behind the instrument binnacle, I just haven't had the courage/patience/time/inclination to dismantle the dashboard on my only operational car.

My shopping list is very different these days, it's not the sort of shopping list I normally have:
Windscreen
Roof paint
Repair rear arch - panel got, just time on this one really
Body paint - once I've finished swapping door parts about to get a decent set

That's it. It's a shame paint is so labour intensive, makes it really expensive to get a reasonable finish. I've not put the Concerto conversion on there because I'm having real difficulty getting the last two parts I need to complete it, sadly.

crepello
Club Member
Car Ownership: Rover 214 Hatchback

#363 Post by crepello » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am

There's not much refinement to the R65 reverse gearing, just straight-cut teeth and no synchromesh. The idler is just shifted along its shaft to engage. So I'd imagine they'd all be much the same. I can't say that mine gives particular bother in this regard. Is the lubricant up to correct level?

Regarding dash buzzes, my 2010 Civic has this, and that dash is particularly intimidating! My 1991 214S had it too. Eventually I lugged the dash out, as one of the side vent shutters jammed as well. I found that the tarred/mastic felt deadening pad had slumped off the bulkhead, and was probably touching the dash. As all the foam ventilation gaskets had crumbled to sticky dust, I stripped everything back, washed years of dust off and made new gaskets from polythene foam. I don't expect that to crumble. The condition of engine mount rubbers also has a bearing, and some of those are getting scarce. All was fine for a while, until a BMW took a dislike to it!