1991 416GTi

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.
Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

Re: 1990 416GSi & 1991 416GTi

#121 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 am

burtonm wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 pm
The GSi is going to be put up for sale, to generate funds to improve my GTi. GTi needs a head gasket, cambelt, work on the gearbox, and a better fitting exhuast.

GSi is spot on and rot free but surplus to requirements.

Who was it that was looking for an auto R8? I tried to reply to the PM thread but it just sent the message back to me :S
That was me, however I've lashed out on something else now, so no longer in the market.
Teddy Bear

216 GSi Auto Pearlescent Cherry Red 1991

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

burtonm
Club Member

#122 Post by burtonm » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Well, I've been busy. Thanks to Craig Cheetham, the car is now back in one piece and relatively straight.

ImageIMG_20180928_122620297 by max_burton, on Flickr

After the trip down to the Fens however, the car started to condense its header tank It was misfiring, a little down on power and hunting in neutral.
Fearing the worst, and considering the cambelt was due on age, supposedly last having been done at around 50k in 2003, I figured it was worth going whole hog. Everything to recondition the head was ordered, and over the last week or so my dad and I have been working on it all.

We were right to fear the worst.

The stainless 4-2-1 manifold has also been fitted, and the original exhaust bodged back on until the car is booked in for a stainless system.
To compliment this I also ordered a washable K&N air filter element - I ordered it from Amazon from a company in Croatia, as it was by far the cheapest one available. Only one was in stock.

To my surprise the part turned out to be NOS, dated 1997!

The car is all back together now, ready for a shakedown this evening. There's a bit of vibration (I had to use standard bolts in place of compensators to join the exhaust together as the Japspeed stainless downpipe is 2" shorter than the original one, think it's off a Civic) but it's running well. The improvement in performance is subtle, but suits the car well. It's smooth and refined, and goes a lot faster than it feels like it is. Wonderfully relaxed.

1991/J 416GTi TC auto - Azure Blue/Tempest
a free space!

burtonm
Club Member

#123 Post by burtonm » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:26 pm

I said goodbye to the GSi today.

Image20181101_162901 by max_burton, on Flickr

It's gone to a good home with a fellow R8 enthusiast, from the recently fractured Facebook page.
This leaves a hole on my driveway, which I'm hoping to fill with a fourth-generation Honda Civic, possibly even this weekend if all goes to plan.

In other news, the GTi abides - it's not running too well though. I have ordered a replacement new fuel relay for it, as I felt compelled to let the good relay go with the GSi, leaving me a working, but slightly unreliable unit.
I also have a new gear shifter cable, distributor ignition module and HT leads on the way. Oh, and a rear engine mount, as the gearbox is shunting around on it a bit.

The car is booked in for its stainless exhaust on Monday - when it's done I'll be retaining the backbox, as I'm swapping it with another GTi owner off FB, for a lattice alloy. One of mine has a big scratch across it, so that saves me a job! Also, I'll have 6 :laughing2
1991/J 416GTi TC auto - Azure Blue/Tempest
a free space!