216 GSI Auto Project

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

moosemansjukebox
Club Member

216 GSI Auto Project

#1 Post by moosemansjukebox » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:06 pm

May as well make a project for it now i've started some actual work!

Minus the head gasket and timing belt being replaced a few years ago, i've got no idea of the service history of the car. The condition suggests it's been looked after pretty well, but we'll see what demons I find :laughing2

A non-exhaustive list of what needs doing so far:

- Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and an oil and filter change
- Replacing a sheared bolt from the head cover
- Swap the odd wheel trim for a matching one :laughing2
- Repair the detached head lining
- Replace the rubber head cover seals around the spark plugs
- Work out what's triggering the alarm
- Rust!

First bit i've done is get the fuel filter and spark plugs swapped. No idea how old this filter is...

New one in! I'm no mechanic so i'm reasonably pleased with how this went.

Next job will be the air filter!
93 Rover 216 GSI Auto

moosemansjukebox
Club Member

Re: 216 GSI Auto Project

#2 Post by moosemansjukebox » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Some more updates on the least interesting 216 project in the world :laughing2

First job, replace the cam cover and spark plug oil seals. Also replace the sheared bolt from the right hand cam cover and put the earth connector back where it belongs.

Close up of the shared thread. Also impressed how clean the engine is inside. It's only done 63k but there's no signs of wear on the cam (probably because of the volume of oil that gets pumped up to the head?).

Old vs new. Can't buy these bolts from anywhere so found a damaged cylinder head on ebay and extracted it from that.

And with it fitted:

Next up, air filter. I suspect it's not been changed in a while...

Screwed it all back together with the new oil seals and a bit of RTV sealant, swapped out the spark plugs too. Luckily Rimmers still sell the rounded nuts for the cam cover so replaced the missing one. Then gave the whole thing a once over with some WD40 and a cloth!

I was going to change the oil but can't get access to the oil filter so either need to buy some ramps or more likely just take it to a garage :glare

Next up - sort the rusty rear arches, fix the roof lining and that damn oil change.

Unrelated: I joined the club a coupe of weeks ago, is there something I need to do to make my username go blue? :laughing2
93 Rover 216 GSI Auto

Rover dave

#3 Post by Rover dave » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm

That`s looking pretty good :clapping

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#4 Post by montegoman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 pm

Regarding changing your username to blue, it should occur automatically when I enter your club application details on to the system. Did you provide your forum username on the application form and did you provide the same email address on the club application form as you have registered on the forum? I can't recollect entering your username but I don't remember them all so I may have done! When I am on my PC I will check the database but if you can give me any additional information that would help.
Thanks
Jeremy
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)

moosemansjukebox
Club Member

#5 Post by moosemansjukebox » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:00 pm

montegoman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 pm
Regarding changing your username to blue, it should occur automatically when I enter your club application details on to the system. Did you provide your forum username on the application form and did you provide the same email address on the club application form as you have registered on the forum? I can't recollect entering your username but I don't remember them all so I may have done! When I am on my PC I will check the database but if you can give me any additional information that would help.
Thanks
Jeremy
I think I know what i've done wrong :laughing2 I'll drop you a message.
93 Rover 216 GSI Auto

montegoman
Membership Secretary

#6 Post by montegoman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Ok, great.
214SLi H706JPJ
214GSi G79XKV (No.1)
75 2.5 Connoisseur SE Tourer (15 yrs of ownership)