Bubble turbo

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

N1tr0_9
Club Member

Re: Bubble turbo

#31 Post by N1tr0_9 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Did more engine prep this weekend. Fitted the alloy 620Ti sump instead of teh 800 pressed steel sump. The alloy one is better for lower cars, and my steel sump was a bit bashed and rusty.

Then did the core plugs. Need'nt have bothered as they were totally fine.

Fitted new oil pump gasket. Used a genuine land rover one, as the paper one that came in my gasket kit was a bit weak. Also fitted new oil seals front and rear and cam seals at the front and new blanking plugs at the rear.

New Klinger 4 layer metal head gasket, new head bolts and generally bolted stuff back together.

Fitted a stainless exhaust manifold stud kit. 4 threads were ok after i ran a tap into them. One had already been helicoiled. Plenty of copper slip used to keep them from corroding fingers crossed.

ALso fitted my stainless coolant pipes. Originals rot out. Stainless much better but extremely hard to find now. Even a second hand set will be around £200!!!! ALso have lower one, just not fitted yet.

Photos below plus some bonus shots of the Police car! I had to move it to make space. God thats a fine machine.

Refurbished and flow checked injectors

Removing old cam seals with drill and self tapper screw

Thread chasing the manifold holes

Stud and nut kit

Stainless coolant pipes added. Not cheap and extremely hard to find!!!!!!!!

Bonus photos

N1tr0_9
Club Member

#32 Post by N1tr0_9 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:16 am

This project is kicking me in the balls. Keep buying stuff and none of it fits. Stuff like turbo fittings where stuff is either m12 x 1.25 instead of 7/16" UNF etc etc etc.

Got the engine loaded up, transported to mine and then fitted the gearbox.

Wait that sounded awfully easy eh? Well it wasnt. My nice shiny new lightened flywheel turned out to be for a normally aspirated t16, so my turbo clutch wouldnt fit. So i just reused the original. I'm not actually that fussed. I had a lightened flywheel in a bmw in the past. Didnt make much difference and actually it wasnt balanced very well and just gave a nasty vibration at about 2700 rpm.

Fitted new seals to teh gearbox, and cleaned it up, but thats about all really. It is a genuine turbo box with a torsen-A LSD. I have a brand new Torsen-B, but i thought id wait and see how this box is before i bother stripping it.

I was supplied a load of bolts for the box from a very knowledgeable chap and most were spot on. It was just a bit of a puzzle getting them all in the right place along with the various engine mounts and bracketry. Surprisingly complicated!

Ive fitted a T28 turbo from my Nissan S14 rather than the standard T25. To get it to fit you have to rotate the compressor housing, which meant you need to remount the actuator. Then it becomes a pain. I got fed up and decided to buy a Forge actuator. It hasnt arrived yet. Hence no photo.

Cthomas
Club Member

#33 Post by Cthomas » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Looking good James. Both this and the sd1
Rover 216 vdp 1990
Old ones
Rover 216 vdp 1986 my dads last car
Rover 420 gsi 1992 miss this one
Rover 214 sei 1995
Rover 820
Rover 3500 vp sdi